INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

guiding Calibration reuse and DEC swapping

• Thank you received: 1
hello

in the option of calibration , there is an option to reuse a guidiing calibration and an option to DEC swap when the subject is on the other side of the pier than the calibration set.

I ve check these tow option and uncheck the option to get a full calibration on each mount slew 
but i ve got problem with that. 
last night i make a guiding calibration on a subject on the west side , the set was very good as the object was near meridian/equator. Guiding was good
my next object was on east side and at the start the guiding was awfull.  The DEC was not automaticly swapped . I check the DEC SWAP checkbox , and the guiding is now good.

i check the pier side report by the mount (EQM35pro, eqmod) and it was good.

Did i miss something in order to be able to reuse calibration ? 
i can redo a calibration each slew but as my mount got hugh DEC backlash, sometime i got calib failure if i m not near equator/meridian.

also , if i do only a RA calibration , how dec guiding will be ? with standard dec guiding speed ? 

thanks for your help :)

2 years 11 months ago #70087

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
If you're using eqmod with your eqm, it knows when and what to change during a flip.
Don't check anything other than what is already there by default. Simply perform the calibration with the default settings.
Clear the calibration data and go again.
Cheers and clear skies,
Steve
2 years 11 months ago #70094

hello
i ve test with the simulator . 

it is the option 'reverse DEC with pier" in the Guide option which  is my problem
if i check it , DEC is not swap when i move from West to East 
if i uncheck it , Dec is swap . 

the description of this option was not clear for me . And i cant find it on help file ? 

2 years 11 months ago #70101

• Thank you received: 559
@legnol: Here's the way things work, as I understand them:

The internal guider in Ekos, in order to be able to correct guiding errors, needs to know the effects that DEC pulses it sends to the mount will have on the DEC motor. It gets this information when calibrating. That is, it pulses the DEC motor, and sees which direction and how far a given guide star moves.  When the calibration is saved, whatever was measured is stored and reused later. However, some mounts are tricky and change the direction a dec pulse moves the dec motor, depending on the side of the mount. The internal guider needs to know if the mount is being tricky in this way. That is the function of the checkbox labeled "Reverse DEC on pier-side change when reusing calibration."  If the box is checked, the internal guider negates the pulse it thinks it should send, if it is on the opposite side of the pier from where it was calibrated.

The proper setting for that checkbox depends on your mount. You can find out the correct value experimentally:  Calibrate in a nice spot (e.g. a bit west of the meridian near the equator), guide for a while making sure you have some DEC corrections, (it should work), slew to somewhere else on the west side, (should still work). Now slew to somewhere on the east side. If it still works, great, you guessed the right value for that checkbox. If not, repeat the experiment, but this time use the other value for the checkbox. Hopefully it will work this time.

There is a very similar checkbox in PHD2, for the same reason. It is explained in the PHD2 doc here:  openphdguiding.org/man-dev/Advanced_settings.htm Search for 'Reverse Dec output after meridian flip'.

Hy

2 years 11 months ago #70128

thanks for your crystal explanation . I ve test yesterday and all work like a charm
2 years 11 months ago #70150

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds