INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Physical unit of the parameter "sky background light"

• Thank you received: 4
I'm trying to understand the meaning of the sky parameter in the EKOS analysis module. I guess it could be mag/arcsec^2 but sometimes I got some doubts. Are there any information available how this parameter is calculated without digging into the sources?

Many thanks.
2 years 10 months ago #70872

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
Arnold,

The sky parameter is a byproduct of SEP star extraction. Take a look at the Background and Background Map sections for details:  sextractor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Background.html It is the all-sky RMS background (whole image noise standard deviation).

I was thinking of converting it to an SQM measure, but I believe I'd need to know camera gain, and probably need darks and bias images. I decided to keep it simple, but am open to suggested measures.

As a relative matter (e.g. how the sky is improving or degrading throughout the night) the current measure is probably fine. A similar measure from that respect (relative sky conditions) is # stars detected in the main and guide cameras, and guide star SNR.

Hy
2 years 10 months ago #70961

• Thank you received: 4
Hy,

Many thanks for this information and the link.
I guess I have to spend some time to get a deeper understanding of SEP and the meaning of the different models and parameters.

Arnold
2 years 10 months ago #70980

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds