INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos no longer appears after a kstars build last night

• Thank you received: 31
I brought my kstars build up to the latest build last night (probably a few months update) and now find that Ekos is not available.
It does not appear on the menu.
I have no idea how it determines whether Ekos exists, what logs need to be enabled to see what is happening?

Paul
2 years 10 months ago #71473

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
Same thing happened to me last night, (see my reply here, indilib.org/forum/development/9708-indi-...y-factory.html#71470).

​I asked Jasem and learned the following:
You need to get the latest Indi from git (at least version 1.9.1), make and install that Indi, then rerun cmake on kstars, then recompile kstars.
Ekos in git has a new requirement of at least Indi 1.9.1.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
2 years 10 months ago #71474

I should have said, I had already brought INDI up to date as well.

Do I need to do a complete new INDI build from scratch?

Paul
2 years 10 months ago #71479

I don't really know, sorry. I know what I did, that worked, though.
I built indi from scratch and installed it.
Importantly, I ran cmake in the kstars directory after installing the new Indi.
If you just ran make, but didn't run the cmake command, that may be your issue
(as the cmake is what looks for the indi version and sets up the makefiles accordingly).

If you don't have the full commands to do all this, let me know and I'll cut and paste in what I ran.
Hy
2 years 10 months ago #71480

• Thank you received: 69
Although I don't need those yet, having the commands here would be a great trail of how to recover for anyone else.
2 years 10 months ago #71481

Sure.
Here's what I did on my Ubuntu Raspberry Pi.

First, make sure you have all the indi dependencies from:  github.com/indilib/indi -- I didn't re-install the dependencies, so best get them from that indi github site
Also, make sure you have all the kstars dependencies from invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/master/README.md. -- ditto

# Clone the Indi and KStars source code
mkdir -p ~/Projects;
cd ~/Projects
git clone github.com/indilib/indi.git
git clone github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty.git
git clone invent.kde.org/education/kstars.git

# Compile Indi
mkdir -p build/indi-core; cd build/indi-core
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo ~/Projects/indi
make -j4
sudo make install

# Compile Indi 3rdparty Libraries
mkdir -p ~/Projects/build/indi-3rdparty-libs
cd ~/Projects/build/indi-3rdparty-libs
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DBUILD_LIBS=1 ~/Projects/indi-3rdparty
make -j4
sudo make install

# Compile Indi 3rdparty Drivers
mkdir -p ~/Projects/build/indi-3rdparty
cd ~/Projects/build/indi-3rdparty
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo ~/Projects/indi-3rdparty
make -j4
sudo make install

# Compile KStars
mkdir -p kstars-build
cd ~/Projects/kstars-build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DCCACHE_SUPPORT=ON ../kstars
make -j4
# See note below before executing the below
sudo make install

Note: I don't actually install KStars (last line). I tend to keep the release installed and I run the 'from-git' KStars from the location the compiler saves to, which in the above would be ~/Projects/kstars-build/kstars/kstars

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafael Schlegel
2 years 10 months ago #71482

• Thank you received: 38
Hey Hy, yeah, I am running the Windows build off of binary-factory.

So I am running windows with remote INDI server on Ubuntu.

Does that make a difference?
2 years 10 months ago #71487

Sorry, don't know.
Hy
2 years 10 months ago #71488

Okay, the solution is that Ekos must be built before Kstars.
Paul
2 years 10 months ago #71489

I have made a shell script that appears to recreate this environment that Hy kindly provided. It works for me. It might work for others.

You have to edit the script to indicate where to create the build directories. I've currently commented out the default ~/ for the path variable and substituted my own path to an external SSD.
You also have to rename this file from buildNightly_Hy.txt to buildNightly_Hy.sh, and chmod x to make it executable.

There are likely errors, especially in the installation of prerequisite libraries, which I've cobbled together from a few other build examples, so it's not optimal, or informed. Having said that, it does appear to build an up-to-date working version.

There is a single optional parameter to define the $part variable which determines which part of the script to execute:
0 - everything  (default)
1 - clone the repositories
2 - update the repositories (git pull)
3 - clone and install stellarsolver
4 - compile indi-core
5 - compile indi-3rdparty-libs
6 - compile indi-3rdparty
7 - compile kstars

Having run with option 0, subsequent runs could be limited to option 2, followed by options 4-7 depending on which libraries have been updated.

Cheers 
 Jerry

File Attachment:

File Name: buildNightly_Hy.txt
File Size:6 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: qnt
2 years 10 months ago #71652
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by qnt on topic Odroid-N2 Ubuntu-mate 20.04

Hi Jerry,

how is the performance on Odroid-N2 compared to Pi4?
clear skies,
2 years 10 months ago #71706

I have both, but prefer to use the Odroid-N2 (Ubuntu-mate 20.04 2). I have the earlier version; the newer N2+ is about 22% faster apparently.
My Odroid-N2 boots/runs from the eMMC storage which is faster than an SD card. I have a Samsung T5_1T SSD attached for photo storage (and code building). The extra cores and fast storage makes it relatively nice to use (of course so would a NUC or Mac mini at the mount).

My 8G RPi4 boot/runs off a 256M external SSD using Stellarmate. It doesn't appear as fast as the Odroid-N2, but I haven't done any speed test comparisons recently. The SSD is a big improvement as my image files are 90M fits files (Nikon Z7 for image capture).

It's nice to have the RPi4 Stellarmate to fall back to as occasionally I shoot myself in the foot with the N2 and upgrade the system / Kstars to an unworkable state, usually just before a potentially good night of viewing :) I should add that I'm now trying raspiBackup to backup the entire (Ubuntu-mate) system to a network drive so I could recover from any fatal updates which might kill the system entirely and avoid starting from scratch. I'm not sure if this is the best approach, but it certainly works for other RPi4 machines I use.

I hope that the shell script I uploaded previously (yesterday, and now a bit out-of-date) will let me keep both the release version of Kstars on the N2 and the latest version from git. I do like to test the latest versions to make sure things work on N2/Ubuntu, and new features like the Terrain image and the Fits control zoom pop-up are irresistible.

Cheers
Jerry
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Jerry Black. Reason: added more info.
2 years 10 months ago #71713

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds