INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos crash and burn on Raspberry Pi Zero W

• Thank you received: 3
I am trying to run Ekos on a minimal raspberry pi OS "buster" crafted by Harald Martin on CloudyNights (see www.cloudynights.com/topic/746190-astrop...-raspberry-pi-zerow/ ) but while I can successfully take ONE image, KStars and Ekos die very soon after that capture... (sped up 300%)

Any ideas what direction I should look to figure out what is going on?
2 years 9 months ago #71809

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
I'd guess it runs out memory--there's only 512Mb on that board, I believe.
You might try disabling the fitsviewer on capture, e.g. 
uncheck the "Use FITS Viewer" in the KStars, FITS options and hit apply.

Git it a shot, but, needless to say, I wouldn't recommend using that board with Ekos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeremy Taylor
2 years 9 months ago #71810
Attachments:

I suspect it is memory too, and I appreciate the practical suggestion for minimising memory use! I will be using scp to transfer images off automatically, and the device has no display, so the preview is totally unnecessary. I'll give it a go and report back!
2 years 9 months ago #71811

• Thank you received: 559
I should have mentioned you should probably also uncheck auto-debayer (not sure if that's relevant without a fitsviewer) and auto-compute HFR (that's independent of the fitsviewer).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeremy Taylor
2 years 9 months ago #71812

yeah on the off chance it would help I went and unticked everything except Focus on receiving an image and Limited resources mode, and IT IS WORKING! I'm going to move the gear outside seeing as it is the first clear night in a while and see if I can't take a few hundred frames without any problems...
2 years 9 months ago #71813

So I was able to get Ekos taking a sequence of 100 frames without problems, but on re-running the sequence (the third time I think?) I got another crash... without going to inordinate lengths to make this work, I think I'm going to say that while I CAN get KStars and Ekos to run on the RPi Zero W, it is not reliable. Given I can't use Ekos to drive the Star Adventurer Pro mount anyway and I was only going to use Ekos for sequencing (and plate solving to help with targeting, I will have to figure out another solution for that) I will probably just write a script calling gphoto2 to do the sequences  
2 years 9 months ago #71853

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds