INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Recommended way to use auto focus during capture sequence

• Thank you received: 16
Yes, you must let it auto select the star for auto-focus to work unattended. The error message you suggest seems reasonable...

I also wish that if auto focus failed that it would just return to the original focus setting and continue. It's become a relative non-issue, as I haven't had an aborted auto focus in several weeks.

Ron
2 years 10 months ago #72020

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
As Ron says, use auto select stars, and best also full field (SEP).  I use linear algorithm, as I don't trust focuser backlash, and that one takes care of that.  
I'd read through the explanations of step width etc. (tool tips), and verify that the settings you choose give a reliable result (focus curve, is step size reasonable...).

2 years 10 months ago #72029

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks Ron and DerPit for your replies and help.
Now I know that I have to let EKOS auto select the focus star, that's fine.

I had already tried focusing with full field. But in my experience it didn't work as good as single star. I think that EKOS was picking up a different set of stars each time, and therefore the average HFR value was very noisy and did not result in a smooth V-curve. With single star focusing, I get a nice V-curve, and together with the linear algorithm, focusing works nicely. Maybe I have to tweak the star detection settings.

One thing to improve:
When the user starts capturing (pressing "Play" on the sequence queue of the capture module) and has automatic re-focusing enabled while automatic focusing is not possible, please show a warning message! The user can then decide to skip auto re-focusing, or change the auto-focus settings.

Regards,
Steffen
2 years 10 months ago #72031

I agree that the user should have the option to continue capturing when focus fails. It might not be pretty though.
2 years 10 months ago #72037

• Thank you received: 16
Jasem, I agree... but often I find my focus wasn't that bad before the re-focus. Would rather revert back to the original focus setting than eliminate capturing the remainder of the night.

Ron
2 years 10 months ago #72047

• Thank you received: 1
In my opinion, these are two different problems, and yes, solving both would be great ;)
  1. don't abort capture when focusing fails, especially when the focuser was not touched at all
  2. don't allow a user to start capturing with auto-focus enabled when auto-focus is not possible because of focus settings
    It's better to get an error message right away, than after one hour (or whenever focusing would be scheduled)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
2 years 10 months ago #72067

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Steffen,
I use the autofocus feature quite often. To avoid the problem with a focus star selection, I use the "Full field" option and set the Annulus to 20%-100%. It's slightly slower since it always needs to download a full frame, but it is reliable.

Wolfgang
2 years 10 months ago #72069

• Thank you received: 301
I consider that starting an autofocus with the automatic star selection unset is a bug. Are there any use cases with that flag cleared?

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
2 years 10 months ago #72074

• Thank you received: 133
If you mean unattended AF then yes, that wouldn't make much sense. For "manual" AF it has it's use case of course.
So I guess it would be task of the capture/scheduler module to enable this on the fly (or at least issue a warning on start).
2 years 10 months ago #72078

• Thank you received: 226
Auto-Focus flag in a capture sequence should override to auto select star since they are pretty integral to each other.
2 years 10 months ago #72084

• Thank you received: 2
I agree, I used to use the "refocus if delta T " feature but half of the time it failed to refocus and stopped for the rest of the night. It would be great if it can go back to previous position and just keep on shooting.

Also I used SEP with all star profile and linear algorithm, I believe the star extraction is not very reliable as it often picks noise instead of slightly off-focused star.
2 years 10 months ago #72132

You can edit the SEP profile and adjust it until it's reliable enough. The thing about SEP is that it requires fine-tuning for some setups and you have a GUI editor to select the parameters, it's trial and error to get the results you want. If you have a profile which works consistently, please share it and let us know so we can check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CYo
2 years 10 months ago #72143

Time to create page: 1.281 seconds