INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

recovery from brief clouds

• Thank you received: 57
Last night I lost a bunch of clear moonless hours because passing clouds obscured my target for a few minutes. 

The guider got lost, wandered around in the clouds for a few frames, then found a new guide star and stayed locked on for the rest of the night. Unfortunately my target was way off center by then and I had to throw out more than 100 nice clear well-guided frames.  I would've expected Ekos to recenter on meridian flip, but it didn't. 

I see there's an open issue #77 for 3.5.4 "recenter after guiding failure," but it's unassigned. Bummer!

Maybe a fallback would be "re-center on autofocus?"
2 years 10 months ago #72217

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
I would love extra resiliency too. Until then, there is an option to re-align at the beginning of each job. So you simply have short sequence and let the scheduler repeat it indefinitely or until certain time. In case when guider locks in wrong direction, you would only have a few remaining subs misaligned, then it re-aligns and continues nicely. My sequences are like 18×60s or 36×15s. Once in a while I get that cloud and the scheduler recovers soon enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Denning, maxthebuilder, Hank
2 years 10 months ago #72220

I think a better method is this... Re-Align on:
[X] Guide Failure
[X] Every [Y] Frames

This would probably cover most of the cases where a target may drift out of the field.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paolo
2 years 10 months ago #72231

• Thank you received: 57
Agreed, that would be GREAT!

But just to make sure I understand, those checkboxes don't currently exist, right?
2 years 10 months ago #72232

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds