INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Missing filter tag in FITS header

• Thank you received: 7
I have this same problem using my RPi as a server at the mount. It saves the Filter keyword on the very first file captured after startup but then none afterwards. Been this way for a while. I am running Stellarmate OS on the RPi and  used Software Updater to update the OS yesterday before my run last night. Not having the Filter designation keyword in the Fits Header is inconvenient when using Weighted Batch Preprocessing Script 2 in PixInsight. All the frames (including Flats) have to be added using the Add Custom button which then requires filling out by hand information about the files. Also my Mac version (3.5.5) of KStars/Ekos does not record the Filter keyword in the Fits Header when capturing files - normally use this set up when recording Flats with my indoor panel. I am using the ZWO ASI6200 MM and EFW filter wheel.
2 years 5 months ago #76424

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In the ASI6200 tab in INDI Control Panel --> Options, what's "Filter" set to?
2 years 5 months ago #76436

• Thank you received: 7
Jasem, when there is no Filter info in the Fits header, that field was empty. I discovered this today on my surrogate RPi (duplicated OS) inside (I bring in the telescope when not imaging at night and leave the operational RPi on the mount, so won't be able to test this on the real set up until the next observing session). Here is what I am seeing. When I connect the INDI server via Ekos, it connects immediately to the camera and EFW. The Capture window shows the camera and filter wheel.  I normally have a sequence of exposures with different filter wheel selections like LRGB, which I build manually using the filter drop down menu.  When the sequence is running, if I watch the ASI6200 tab/Options/Filter in the INDI Control Panel it sometimes just randomly goes blank and stays blank for the rest of the sequence, even if the filter changes. Otherwise the value in that field is "ASI EFW" as normal. So of course if the Snoop value is blank in the Options tab, I get no Fits header keyword for Filter. When this happens the FW drop down menu in the Capture window also goes blank, --.  This happens without any operator intervention. I will turn on verbose logging on my next night time run and keep an eye on the Snoop value and the FW drop down menu and try to send a log file. Thanks for your question.
2 years 5 months ago #76460

Is it possible you're loading a sequence file that has a filter wheel as blank "--" ?? or this happens randomly? I just connected with ASI EFW + 178MC and tried to reproduce the behavior but couldn't.
2 years 5 months ago #76467

• Thank you received: 5
Same issue here, most FITS files produced lack the filter entry (it intermittently appears in some of the files).

Unfortunately I'm not sure what version of KStars was running since the data is from over a month ago running on a Pi4 I don't have access to right now. Speaking of which: it would be great if KStars/EKOS could record the executable version number in the header.

If I get a chance I might try to debug it, since it's certainly pretty annoying...!

2 years 1 month ago #80206

• Thank you received: 8
yeah it is still happening for me. I've given up and ended up creating my own Python script that I use in a preprocessing (did that a while ago when the bug appeared). I've improved the script since a few times. I will push it to my GitHub account over the weekend as I'm now happy with it. It's Pure Python and the only packages it uses is argparse and astropy. I just want to document it and put an open source license on it and the repo.  I'll post that here. Though I wish the issue didn't exist.

2 years 1 month ago #80216

• Thank you received: 1
Hi, this is still happening with KStars 3.5.9, the filter header is set randomly: for example, in my latest project, for the Ha and OIII filters it's not set, for the SII filter it is.
I usually start with my L filter for alignment and then the sequence changes filter to L->S->H->O.
It's a real pain to process these files in PI, especially for multi-session projects, as you have to manually add all the files.

KStars 3.5.9 Stable
ZWO ASI533MM Pro
ZWO EFW 8 1.25'

PS: I'm running INDI Server remote with Kstars/Ekos on a mini PC and connect to that on my Linux laptop using the same version of KStars/Ekos

Thanks!
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by George Alin Costea.
1 year 8 months ago #84742
Attachments:

Time to create page: 2.241 seconds