INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Can we please have FITS Viewer as a standalone executable?

• Thank you received: 102
Please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

The KStars FITS Viewer is my favorite FITS viewer. I want to be able to double-click a FITS file in file explorer, and view the image with the FITS Viewer.

Thanks!
-- Kevin

2 years 9 months ago #73129

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
This has been brought up before (maybe even by me? ;) ). It turns out it would be quite a bit of effort to extract it into a stand-alone application, or that is what I recall hearing. I do agree though, it is a good one now, and quite snappy, too.

Jim
2 years 9 months ago #73286

• Thank you received: 301
What we could do is to add a command line switch to kstars to load the FITS Viewer alone with an image parameter.

The other solution is that I spend some more time to progress on the Library module, providing quick rendering in an explorer-like Ekos module. I'll share the preliminary results in a few weeks.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim, Bart, Rafa Barberá
2 years 9 months ago #73287

• Thank you received: 301
Er this is embarrassing, my first paragraph only states the existing implementation. I meant to say that first the KStars interface would need to be hidden, eventually, and second that the program instance would need to be reused for each new image opened, instead of creating a new one each time.

-Eric
2 years 9 months ago #73315

• Thank you received: 102
Your proposal of a command line switch for kstars would be perfectly acceptable, if it can launch quickly (on my machine, kstars does not launch quickly), and if it's easy to associate .fits files with a program that needs a command line switch (without having to resort to a shell script). The second requirement can easily be satisfied by making a symlink (or hard link) of fitsviewer to the kstars executable, then when kstars starts up, it can check to see if it was launched as kstars, or as fitsviewer.
2 years 9 months ago #73316

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds