INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Autofocus not running on filter change

• Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

I've been having really good luck with Ekos overall, but I haven't been able to solve a focus issue.  Let's say I've powered up my rig, connected, focused, plate solved, etc with my L filter in place.  I'm now ready to image, so I load up the following sequence:
30 x 600s Ha
30 x 600s OIII

I have "Refocus Every" set at 60 minutes in the camera tab.

I start the sequence, the filter wheel changes to Ha, and the autofocus routine runs, as expected.  The Ha portion completes, the filter changes to OIII, and the exposures begin without focusing again.  Autofocus runs again when the time since last focus reaches 60 minutes, but that could mean I've have 59 minutes of out-of-focus OIII exposures.   I must be overriding something, but where?  Screenshot of the focus tab attached.  Note that the stars aren't bright in the image here because it was dawn...Autofocus in linear mode is working perfectly.

Thanks,
Casey
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Casey Offord.
2 years 8 months ago #73390
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Logs would focus logging enabled would be extremely helpful. I did a quick test with simulators and couldn't reproduce.
2 years 8 months ago #73391

Thanks Jasem. I'll be imaging tonight so I'll enable focus logging and post them here.
2 years 8 months ago #73392

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Casey,
Do you expect a focusing routine being triggered at the beginning of the O-III sequence no matter how long ago the last focusing was? In this case, the „repeat after x minutes“ feature is not the right one, since it ignores filter changes.

If you want to focus in front of the sequence, I think you need to create a separate scheduler job for the O-III frames with the focus option selected.

HTH
Wolfgang
2 years 8 months ago #73394

That is my expected behavior...A refocus at each filter change in the sequence. Do I really need to use scheduler and make separate jobs for each filter to do this? I'll do some experimenting tonight without "refocus after" enabled.

Thanks,
Casey
2 years 8 months ago #73395

• Thank you received: 133
It definitely should, if you enable 'autofocus' in the filter settings, as you have in your screenshot.
So far it always did this for me, independent of the 'refocus every ...' settings (I use auto and refocus every 0.8 degrees, and that works fine). This is without scheduler, only running a sequence from the 'capture' tab.
2 years 8 months ago #73404

• Thank you received: 370
Peter, you're absolutely right - I have to admit I wasn't aware of this option.
I played a little bit with the simulators. It looks like it is necessary that there was a focusing event before starting the capture sequence.

@Casey: sorry for the confusion. Please turn on the logs next time so that we could track it down if it happens again.

Wolfgang
2 years 8 months ago #73416

So of course things worked properly last night with logging enabled.  I disabled "Refocus every" and just left it to focus on filter changes, which it did.  I'll try again tonight with "Refocus every" enabled and see if I can repeat the issue.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
2 years 8 months ago #73418

Well, great. Everything has been working as expected over several nights now. I suppose I just needed to reboot something before. Either that, or I should just enable logging on things I'm having issues with to solve problems. :)

Best,
Casey
2 years 8 months ago #73500

Time to create page: 1.733 seconds