Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.5 on 2018-11-14. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3?

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8396

I do not have an RPi3 available. Does it make a lot of difference compared to an RPi2? I am looking for more memory as my RPi2 starts slightly swapping what is slowing it down. As far as I could see RPi3 does not have more memory only wifi included and here and there some other features.
I intended to buy one but I find it rather expensive for what I get more. I am still hesitating to buy an ODROID.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pentax K-5; Samyang 800mm F8.0;Sky-Watcher ED80 D=80mm F=600mm;ZWO ASI120MC

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8397

• gerryr
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48

giorgio_ne wrote: A custom image for Rpi3 or 2 would be great. I would prefer Rpi3 because it allows me not to use a usb hub to power the lodestar x2. Here is the setup I'd like to use:

Is there something wrong with the usb ports on the 2 that wont power the lodestar ? I have the 2b+ here, a bunch of them actually, and they all have 4 usb ports. I've never tested it, but, am told it can do full usb power on each port if the host power supply has enough juice. I moved away from the pi for some of my projects because of the poor ethernet thruput.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8398

• patdut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Hello all,
@noste99
I guess that the amount of memory on Odroid and the more performing cpu is more favorable to make several app running together.
Overall if you need to run astrometry.

@all
Would be nice to have images available for all the µdevices. But don't know if it is easy to do. Maybe it would be better to have a debian image instead of ubuntu because debian evolve more slowly and could be available for all devices quite simultaneously.
Something really interesting : the UP board here >> www.kickstarter.com/projects/802007522/u...aspberry-pi2-form-fa

Last Edit: by patdut.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8400

In all frankness I haven't tried to power the lodestar from Rpi2.
Another reason for preferring Rpi3 is because it has built in wifi. When I get the automated focuser I would not have a spare usb port if the 4th is taken by the wifi dongle.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8401

• Kaczorek
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182
Why do we want to use graphical interface? Is the assumption to also run a KStars on it?
If not the recommended os version would be Ubuntu Server (minimal or standard) - it's only 2GB file, lightweight and perfect for network server. If you're looking for a network connected telescope control box, it is he way to go.
I run such configuration for INDI server, INDI Web Manager, Monitorix, NTP with PPS support, GPSD. All of these is accessible over network by laptop running Ubuntu and KStars Bleeding.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8407

• patdut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I agree with you Kaczorek the µdevice is really well fit to drive the setup locally but the connexion between the µdevice and the PC is important. If you use a RJ45 wire the speed exchange would be good enough to make all working fluently. If you use a wifi connection it becomes a real challenge to find the wifi device that can:
1/ works with the µdevice and the ubuntu version installed on
2/ Offers a sufficient rate to make the transfer and uploads works fluently
3/ Offers a sufficient scope to be very interesting option.
Today I work on the wifi connection trying to optimize the data transfer and, it is not so easy to find a good and affordable solution. As I want to use it on the field where there is no network I have to make the µdevice to run as an access point. The main problem is compatibility between performing wifi devices and ubuntu.

Maybe a better solution is running all : kstars, phd etc... locally on the µdevice so it is easier to pilot all from the PC via wifi and vnc.
A device as the Odroid can handle it with its powerful cpu, USB3, 2Gb RAM. Moreover It becomes un-useful to optimize the wifi transmission as there is no heavy uploads (images) to do. So the wifi transmission becomes secondary. So it is easier to find an affordable and compatible wifi solution.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8409

I fully agree with you. I will these days work more with my RPi2 driven set up in order to test guiding and alignment etc. In the past I got stuck with my ZWO ands its performance. Recently I saw that the situation drastically improved. I am not sure this is due to work performed with prime focus on ZWO performance or whether this is due to a series of modifications including a new releas of Ubuntu etc. Doesn't matter, I am very happy with the result!

I run now Kstars, indiserver for mount, joystick and zwo on a RPi2. No powered usb-hub but usb max current flag set. What will happen when I use astrometry for alignment I will discover soon.

I really hope RPi starts thinking about a version with 2GB memory. Otherwise I will switch to Odroid as Patdut already reported in the past. Cost is higher but one gets more features for it.

Stefan

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8410

I gave up using wifi on all machines including my tablet. For me a much more stable solution is wired connection via a router providing wifi. The RPi machines work over the wired network. Only the GUI of KStars/Ekos is passed over wifi via x11vnc to my tablet. Network performance is better and mor stable in the field. Wifi adapts the signal strength depending on strength of received signal, other signals from other networks discovered etc. For transfering pictures this is not ideal. For vnc this is less an issue.

My only concern is that I need to power my router for the wired network annd the wifi. Looking to my setup today I use maximally 2 RPis. It is not an issue because I have a car battery of 75Ah to power all and that is ok for more than 1 night. Theoretically I could avoid the router and directly connect the two RPis via there Eth ports. What remains then the issue is the tablet for vnc transfer of the gui for Kstars.

Let us first see how it works in the field with the router.
I'll keep you posted!
stefan

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8411

• Kaczorek
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182
You can use a dongle like this .

I'm using this in the field. It requires only USB port for powering the device. Another option is to configure your RPi as WiFi access point.
These two options will however require you to connect 2 RPis directly with UTP cable and do some network configuration.

Any way you go wireless transfer rates from RPi are real bottleneck. Especially when you use high res CCD or DSLR. Getting a RAW image takes as long as 30-40 secs.
Does it work the same for other boxes? Odroid, Banana etc?

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8416

• patdut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
@Kaczorek @noste99
I have a SBIG ST8300 that generate ~8Mb pics and it cost between 5 to 10s for transferring with a 802 b/g/n dongle. It doesn't matter when I get sequences of images that can be stored locally (on µdevice) or on client. But it is really painful when I do focusing, north pole alignment or astrometry.
For a DSLR with 3x more pixels I guess it is necessary to store the images locally and upload the images afterward.
Would be nice to have all processes on the µdevice like astrometry resolution or focusing evaluation and return only results of those processes via wifi. But I don't know if it is possible.
For autoguiding there is solution with quick autoguiding in ekos I guess. But no solution when using phd2. Wifi in this last case is a really bottleneck.

Patrick

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8418

The idea behind the RPI3 image is to be completely newbie friendly. That is, anyone who hasn't used Linux before can easily use it straight away. Personally, I'd never run a GUI in raspberry pi designated for equipment control. I think any experienced user can set all these things up easily. Alternatively, we can perhaps offer two images, one minimal and one full desktop.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 2 years 6 months ago #8419

• max
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
Last night I use this script ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org/ to build a ubuntu-mate with kstars installed. It work quite well.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica