Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 4 weeks ago #20296

• rlancaste
  • rlancaste's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 350
It most likely could be used. There is only one raspberry specific command and it is commented out. I am using an ubuntu mate operating system, so as long as the commands and setup are not different on your ubuntu system, then it should work fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Studio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20711

• rlancaste
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So after months of not knowing why my old method of creating an adhoc network using "hotspot" in network manager was no longer working, I stumbled upon this little gem of a forum:
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2333291&page=2
This totally solved my problem with creating a hotspot network on my Raspberry Pi. It turns out the network was getting turned off to "save power". ugh. . .

I tried playing with the files that t-studio sent for hostapd and dhcp. It looks like a lot of settings and steps. For now, since my method is working for my setup, I put the method that I am using into the script. What I did should definitely not prevent t-studio's method from functioning though. Later, I might look into it further. But for now, this seems to work for me and is much simpler.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20712

• rlancaste
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I made some big updates to the script. Now my setup script should get almost everything up and running for somebody wanting to get started with AstroPhotography on a Raspberry Pi. I also updated the documentation so that it should be well explained. Please test this! Thanks, Rob

github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3
The following user(s) said Thank You: knro, tkottary

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20713

• rlancaste
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I should note that it should also work for anybody on ubuntu on a different system such as a rock64 or an ODroid C2. I don't believe there is anything specific to a raspberry pi in the main script or the udev script. I plan to test it on these systems in the near future.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20723

Well done! Regarding hotspot your mileage may vary ;-) Not all devices support access point mode. I'm not sure what is the status for rock64 and Odroid C2 though.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20726

• rlancaste
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yep, we can add to or change the script in the future. Possibly more wifi stuff can be added to it or even be in a separate script.

I wanted to make something a little different. Originally I thought a complete image for the raspberry pi was the way to go, but then I got to thinking that not everyone has a raspberry pi, maybe they have another system such as the Odroid. Or maybe some people have one that they want to add astronomy capabilities to, but not delete everything. Or maybe they want to customize it and install some things but not others but they like a starting point. This way they can just run my script and it should get them mostly set up.

If you have any ideas of anything else I should add or modify, I am all ears.

Thanks,

Rob

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20743

Hi everybody!

I hope you don't mind my asking. I am a bit confused about the different ways to have ekos on a raspberry Pi which are around at the moment.

So there is astroberry server, stellarmate, James tutorial and now there is the setup script. I understand that at the end of the day these are all different ways to end up with a working instalation of ekos on RPI.

I am really impressed and grateful of all your efforts for these projects but wouldn't it be nice to combine them into a single project?

Best wishes
Stephan

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20750

• rlancaste
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Stephan,

Basically, yeah, it is just different ways to achieve the same goal. There are two approaches, an image that is already set up that you just flash to a microSD card or a script/instructions that allow you to set it up yourself.

Stellarmate and Astroberry Server fall into the first category, you just download them and flash to a card. But the images are of course specific to Raspberry Pi and you install all of it at once. They are very different images with different programs installed and different capabilities.

Both James' tutorial and my script take the other approach, you can take your device and install what you want. Both his and mine should be very very similar, since we worked together to create the list of instructions and then later I automated it into a script.

So why did James and I take the second approach? Well I developed my list of instructions before there was an image you could download and then James improved on them and made a tutorial. Then when I went to make another one for someone else, I decided to automate it. When I did so, I consulted his tutorial to change some of my instructions. So if anything is a single project, its these.

So why would you want to run a script to install it instead of just flashing an image to a microSD card? First, the Raspberry Pi images will not work on other single board computers like an OrangePI, an ODroid C2, a Banana Pi, a Rock64, or a Tinkerboard. I am planning to try to make this script generic so that it will set you up on any computer running Ubuntu Mate. (In fact, I am already working on testing it on ODroid). Second, you might have your single board computer already set up and just want to add these capabilities to it, this way you don't have to totally erase it. And Third, maybe you want to customize your system. With my script, you can just comment out anything you don't want it to do before you run it. Basically my script gives you more flexibility and allows you to use different systems.

So why would you want to use preconfigured images? If you have the Raspberry Pi 3, you don't care about what is on it now, you don't care what gets installed, and you want to get started quickly, then this is the easiest way to go.

So, would we combine the projects? Well James' tutorial and my script are already basically the same thing. His is just the previous version before I made more changes and before it was automated. But in terms of Astroberry Server and Stellarmate, I think they offer something distinctly different than my script. That's not to say we shouldn't collaborate like we have been. In developing each of these things, Jasem, James, Radek, Max, and myself have been talking and sharing ideas. We should continue doing so in my opinion. For example, I know that they have done some nice things with networking that I did not include in my script. I may try to add that later. Also perhaps I did something or they did something that the others might want to include in their work. We will compare notes. These things are works in progress.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pepe.Lombris

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20755

Dear Rob!

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! You have given valuable insight into the reasoning that is behind the different projects. I have been using Linux for quite a while but still consider myself a newbie. At the end of the day I can only humbly look at the great job you guys are doing with programming and creating Ekos and all its components. Even using all that is fascinating. Your projects really make a difference!

So my comment was not meant as criticism but rather a curious question. Unfortunately, I can’t help in programming but please count me in in case you need people for testing.

Best wishes
Stephan
The following user(s) said Thank You: El Corazon

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20756

• rlancaste
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Stephan,

Yes, I treated it as a curious question. I think its important to write out some of the reasoning behind all this and explanations of why you would want to use one or another for the beginner. Hopefully what I wrote made sense and maybe we can possibly take some of what I wrote, with maybe a little editing, and make it into an FAQ or a guide on other parts of the site. I know Radek is planning to do some of that work.

Thanks,

Rob

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20771

• rlancaste
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So I did get a chance to run my script on an ubuntu-mate system on my 64 bit ODroid C2. There were a few issues, so I copied and pasted the script and edited to work on the 64 bit system. One issue was that RealVNC did not work on the 64 bit system. I couldn't find a way to get it to work well, so I replaced it with x11vnc. Another issue was that the sudo calls to cat to save files were getting permissions errors, so I modified the calls and they all work now. Some packages that were installed on the pi by default were not installed on the Odroid, so I had to add them. The Firefox issue with the Raspberry Pi was not a problem on the ODroid so I deleted that fix. And finally GSC did not compile properly. I fixed all of these issues except for gsc.

So there is now a script for installing everything on a 64 bit ubuntu mate now present in the same git repo.

github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

There still might be some issues, but it seems to be mostly working smoothly!

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: anderslange, feilimb

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 11 months 1 week ago #20783

Many thanks Rob for all your work on this. I just recently had a to start from scratch on a RPi3 and was using James' tutorial again to get back up and running. I may give your script a go just to test it out from a fresh Ubuntu Mate install.
Can you tell me if the script installs the IndiServer web interface / web server tool for choosing which drivers to start via the web?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rlancaste

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica