Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.5 on 2018-11-14. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 3 weeks ago #21179

• rlancaste
  • rlancaste's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 397
And the nebulous areas you mentioned from my screenshot are a new feature that was added to KStars this past summer by the Google summer of code student. It is known as HIPS and all you have to do is go to the toolbar at the top of KStars, click the icon that looks like a picture (next to the FOV target icon), and select which HIPS all sky image you want to show. Just a note, the all sky images are dynamically loaded, so sometimes it takes a few moments to update the picture to the current field of view in kstars and moving the sky around slightly seems to help load it faster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 3 weeks ago #21189

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
After updating the 64 bit script, I ran it again on my odroid64. Rerunning the script worked just fine. It doesn't seem to have caused any issues.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 1 year 3 weeks ago #21190

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here is an image of what the 64 bit system looks like

Attachments:

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 3 weeks ago #22578

Hello Rob,
many thanks that you share your Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script.
It took a while but finally my PI3 works :) really :)

It took three attempts. In my first try, phyton3.5 was not installed correct, don't know why. Second try, no shortcuts were places on the ubuntu mate desktop. I suspect it was the language setting, german in my case. Switched to EN, the script was a success. Great

A little question, what is the preferred (safe) way to switch between access point mode and hotspot mode?

Thomas
Attachments:

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 3 weeks ago #22582

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Thomas

Excellent, good to know it worked for you!

I don't know about the language issue or the python issue. Please let me know if you find out the problem. It could be that there are different names for certain commands or locations in different languages. You could of course modify the script so that it works in another language or let me know about a change that would make it work for more than one language. I'm sure folks who speak that language would appreciate it.

To switch to the access point mode, you just double click on the shortcut for starting your hotspot in the folder on the desktop. Of course you would need to be using either VNC or a keyboard and monitor to see the desktop. Do note that there are two shortcuts for starting the ap mode, the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz ones. I have an antenna on mine that can do 5GHz, but the Pi by default does not. So if you don't have a 5GHz antenna attached, that link will not work. You might need to tweak the network settings also to get it all to work well for you.

There are a number of ways of configuring the Pi to serve up its own network. My script does it in a fairly simple manner that worked for me, using ap mode. It might not work for you because some devices do not like to connect to a network that is configured this way. If it doesn't, try one of the other ways. I cannot help you with that since I had some issues getting them to work myself and there were a lot of files involved, so since this way worked for me, I just went with it. Others in this forum have been successful with the more reliable methods, so you can get help from them. So for now, the script just uses a fairly simple way to configure it and if it doesn't work for you, you can try another way.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: starhopper

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 3 weeks ago #22597

Hi Rob,

Others in this forum have been successful with the more reliable methods, so you can get help from them. So for now, the script just uses a fairly simple way to configure it and if it doesn't work for you, you can try another way.

don't get me wrong. I am total satisfied with your script and I like it. Both Wireless modes work fine with all my devices.

But, I always need a computer monitor to switch between the two modes, of cource VNC lost connection. But I can manage this, no support needed.
Finally I checked, that conky was not installed on my PI. I did it manually.
Attachments:

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 2 weeks ago #22640

I took my RPi out to my in-laws place, and then I realized I had no way of activating the AP script. Good thing it was cloudy. I have been considering making a Pi shield/Hat that has a button on it to run the AP script. Maybe a toggle. This would be a nice addition for the Stellarmate.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 2 weeks ago #22666

Thanks for all the wonderful work! I just ordered a Rpi 3 because of this. :)

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 2 weeks ago #22667

colgs3b wrote: I took my RPi out to my in-laws place, and then I realized I had no way of activating the AP script. Good thing it was cloudy. I have been considering making a Pi shield/Hat that has a button on it to run the AP script. Maybe a toggle. This would be a nice addition for the Stellarmate.

(Having been a software dev (C/C++) but knowing virtually nothing about Linux ...) Is there a means for a background process/script/app that could be running/run automatically on startup which sets the Wi-Fi to client mode, checked for a connection and if no connection after a time-out (e.g. 60 secs) automatically switched to ad-hoc mode (i.e. kicked-off the existing script). Maybe a bit of config or customisation to spec a timeout and whether 2.4 or 5 script for switching to ad-hoc mode.

But it would get rid of the need for a direct connection/display&keyboard when using the setup away from your existing configured Wi-Fi networks (or a custome h/w Hat).

Just a thought - but something beyond my own abilities to develop.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 2 weeks ago #22676

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Psamathe,

Yes this is definitely a possible thing to do, but then you also run the risk of your system potentially deciding to start its own wifi up when you don't want it to do so. What I tend to do is I have the wifi networks saved from all the different places I usually image so that it automatically connects to them. But if I am at a new place or want to use an ad hoc network, I plug in my ethernet cord between the pi and the laptop and use VNC to either set up or change networks.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 2 weeks ago #22677

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
starhopper,

When I am connected to one network or via a direct ethernet connection, I either select a different network or use the icons to start up or stop the ad hoc network. Then yes VNC loses connection, but then I reconnect VNC from the new network and all is fine. If for some reason it doesn't work, I have an ethernet cable to plug my laptop directly into the Pi, VNC in, and change whatever settings need to be changed.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 10 months 2 weeks ago #22678

rlancaste wrote: Psamathe,

Yes this is definitely a possible thing to do, but then you also run the risk of your system potentially deciding to start its own wifi up when you don't want it to do so. What I tend to do is I have the wifi networks saved from all the different places I usually image so that it automatically connects to them. But if I am at a new place or want to use an ad hoc network, I plug in my ethernet cord between the pi and the laptop and use VNC to either set up or change networks.

What about using a USB drive as a "key" - if the drive contains a specific file, specific location it starts on ad-hoc, otherwise starts normal client mode. That way a small cheap USB drive effectively becomes the switch meaning no cable, no keyboard, etc.just turn up (away from any Wi-Fi networks, plug in the USB drive and power on ...

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica