Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.5 on 2018-11-14. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact)

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 11 months 1 week ago #21484

First, apologies for my previous, excessively long post - should have copied into a file.

In the meantime I found a library for the GPIOs that I was able to install on the Rock64. Need to think how to test / verify that it works - a test script is provided, I need to do the wiring.

github.com/swkim01/RPi.GPIO-PineA64

Best, Helge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 11 months 1 week ago #21531

Just to come of an issue discussed in the past, which is “inverted colors” for the program windows. I did some more analysis and swapped the colors, using the theme settings/customizing. That actually revealed that it is not the entire program window of EKOS that has inverted colors (black instead of white), but just the content, see screenshot. So, maybe there is nothing wrong with the window color settings, but a conflict that KStars/Ekos runs into on the rock64 - either due to its architecture or operating system (I am using the ayufan-Mate os)

@ Jasem, can you kindly have a look and let me know what is your opinion?
Attachments:

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 11 months 1 week ago #21543

Hi Jasem,

Just wondering about the following: concerning the issue reported below (pls see also screenshot) - could it potentially make a difference to install KStars / Ekos from source, instead of ppa?

Thanks, Helge

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 3 weeks ago #21881

• wimvb
  • wimvb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
I'm veeeery happy to announce that phd2 now also works on the Rock64 under ubuntu mate.

This is the way to it set up:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pch/phd2

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install phd2

Previously, there was no arm64 build for phd2 on ubuntu. But with tremendous help from Patrick Chevalley, I managed to build phd2 from source. Patrick then added the arm64 architecture to the ppa build.

On the downside: I'm completely clouded in (no surprise there), so I can't test it.

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Rock64 x 2 with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

www.astrobin.com/users/wimvb/

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 3 weeks ago #21882

That’s good news and it’s a little better than my solution. I had just built it in 32 bit. But it should be better in 64 bit. If phd2 now supports aarch64 aka arm64 then I can update the 64 bit build script

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 3 weeks ago #21888

• maudy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Wow! this is progress. What is performance like compared to the RPI3?
I have been watching this thread, and not ordering a rock64 - my mount is a problem enough at the moment. One problem at time.
I wondering how rock64 is working out for the ASI EFW, two ASI cameras, Nightcrawler driver, and mount, phd2, and VNC to the rock64. Also using SMB for file transfers, as well as ssh. The RPI3 with the above does work with zram config, and I am hoping the extra RAM 2~4GB helps. Also, I would be using a wifi dongle since I do not want to always be running CAT45 unless debugging things.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 3 weeks ago #21897

• wimvb
  • Away
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

maudy wrote: Wow! this is progress. What is performance like compared to the RPI3?
I have been watching this thread, and not ordering a rock64 - my mount is a problem enough at the moment. One problem at time.
I wondering how rock64 is working out for the ASI EFW, two ASI cameras, Nightcrawler driver, and mount, phd2, and VNC to the rock64. Also using SMB for file transfers, as well as ssh. The RPI3 with the above does work with zram config, and I am hoping the extra RAM 2~4GB helps. Also, I would be using a wifi dongle since I do not want to always be running CAT45 unless debugging things.

I would love to say that all is fine now and that it works splendidly. Unfortunately, not so.
I now have essentially two identical setups, one on a raspberry pi, and the other on a rock64:
Ubuntu Mate 16.04
xrdp installed
full indi & ekos/kstars install (from the ppa)
all the necessary drivers installed (yes, the ZWO efw now works on both RPi and Rock)
phd2 installed from the ppa (Patrick made the arm64 build)

Astronomy hardware:
AZEQ6GT mount (eqmod mount)
ZWO ccd's: ASI174MM cool with ZWO efw mini for imaging, and ASI120MM (old usb2 version) for guiding
DIY Moonlite compatible arduino focuser

1. the setup on Raspberry Pi works flawlessly. I can run indi, phd and ekos/kstars on the Pi from a remote desktop (windows 8 on laptop)
2. running indiserver on the Pi and Rock and controlling from ekos/kstars on my windows laptop works. This is with the camera connected to a powered usb2 hub.

However:

3. on the Rock64, I can't use both cameras at the same time. Apparantly having two zwo cameras creates a conflict. This issue was solved a long time ago on the Pi, but persists on the Rock. (have to investigate this further, see point 6)
4. Ekos/kstars on the rock doesn't recognise my keyboard (laptop, using xrdp). Only in ekos are the letters of my keyboard mixed up, E.g. pressing 'q' results in a 'c'. Doing anything outside ekos works fine.
5. connected to the usb3 port, the ASI174 takes about 40 seconds to connect in ekos, independent of where ekos runs (local or on windows). The "control" tab takes another 15 seconds to load.
6. Connected to usb3, the ASI174 is slow to respond, and won't take exposures. I will have to investigate this further and get proper logs. Since the camera worked under usb2, connected to a powered usb hub, maybe this is a power issue.

So, there's still a lot to fix until I can "go live". I will keep updating here when I sort out the issues.

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Rock64 x 2 with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

Last Edit: by wimvb.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 3 weeks ago #21924

• wimvb
  • Away
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Issue 6 in my previous post is fixed. This was a power issue. I have now invested in a powered usb3 hub (Plexgear Desktop 400 pro). Connecting the ASI174 to this powered hub solved its problems. Connection is faster than on Raspberry Pi. Imaging from ekos/kstars on Rock64 also works, and image download is superfast.

But I still can't guide with phd2 and the ZWO ASI120MM (usb2 version).
And at the moment the most annoying part is that when I run ekos/kstars directly on the rock64, the keyboard gets garbled.
I will probably work around this by trying to set up phd and using the windows version of ekos.

Wim

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 3 weeks ago #21928

• wimvb
  • Away
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
First off: solving issue 6 in a previous post, also solved issue 5. A powered usb3 hub is necessary to get the most out of the camera.

Now I also figured out a very annoying workaround for issues 3 and 4:

I set up the rock64 with just the ASI174 and EFW connected to the usb3 port
Then I set up my raspberry pi with the mount, focuser (simulator at the moment), and ASI120 (which is my guide camera)

I used the indi tutorial about configuring indi on multiple devices:

indilib.org/support/tutorials/159-indi-on-multiple-devices.html

The annoying part is that it's a complicated setup, and that guiding is now on the slower device.

The good part is of course that it works.
Btw, I save images locally, which is on the faster rock64. So at least, images captured with the ASI174 over usb3 don't have to be transmitted over wifi before they get stored.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maudy, tkottary

Wim

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 1 week ago #22200

One of these days I'd like to try this idea with an Odroid XU4. I have one running a home NAS server now and it's a beast. Too bad there isn't a low cost board like it that has BT and WiFi built in, it would be perfect for a more powerful version of a project like this. (Not to mention there is a problem getting them now...some sort of run on parts is keeping them low on stock).

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 1 day ago #22478

• maudy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Hi. Just checking on how things are with the Rock64. I was wondering if use have tried PHD2 connecting directly to the ASI120mm. I inferred you were using the INDI_camera connection.
I quickly checked back in the thread and did not notice that setting once PHD2 was active. This is how I have my PHD2 setup - it connect to ASI174mm using a native driver, and then to the mount via the INDI_mount driver; Ekos is just told to use PHD2, and only the imaging camera.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 10 months 1 day ago #22480

• wimvb
  • Away
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have problems with using the two asi cameras at the same time. The asi174 (imaging) is ok, but for some reason the asi120 (guide) doesn't respond. Works well on RPi, but not on the Rock. I will try your method, next clear night. So far, I have used the Rock for imaging, and the Pi for mount control and guiding. But I would like to use the Rock for everything.
Another persistent problem is that Ekos on the Rock jumbles up the keyboard.
There have been too few clear nights for testing.

Wim

Last Edit: by wimvb.
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica