Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.5 on 2018-11-14. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 2 weeks 18 hours ago #31960

• stash
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Maybe you need to think what you want from your set up.

Is it for "in the field" or just in the Obsys ?

Do do want minimal number of wires ?

Do you want very high frame rates ?

Are you going to rely on very fast plate solving?

Can you back up your system - people underestimate the time it takes to rebuild and tend to forget the little changes they made. SD card are slow but its so simple to backup and the cost is low.

As Indi provides Client Server set ups how will you benefit from from everything on one PC

Is there enough support for your future device (both Indi and OEM) and be honest do you know enough (or want to learn) about the curing niggles.

If its in your Obsys and you are not bothered about wires but just want a single PC set up which you can remotely view then think about buying a second hand ex corporate high end PC which can run Indi - So I7/i5,16GB memory , 1gb SSD and separate large HDD, high end graphics card, USB3 ports galore and both wireless/wired Ethernet. Just make sure its Linux hardware compatible - get he seller to run a Linux livecd/usb or check if manufacturers site. £300 should get you a high spec "game" or desktop/server which will do everything very fast.. Dont forget the graphics on the viewer PC else what's the point you will see down graded images via Teamviewer/VNCviewer etc

etc etc

You have obviously already started to think about it by asking others who have done it so more time spent thinking may help with minimising long time pain/frustration.

Even in this modern world a piece or paper and a pen writing down your requirements counts for a lot IMHO
The following user(s) said Thank You: starman345

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 2 weeks 11 hours ago #31982

I explored the optimum mobile environment and set the INDI environment for the following Mini Computer and SBC.
· RPi 3
· Orange Pi + 2
· NanoPi-M4
· Beelink AP 34
· Goal 1
Ultimately, PCs such as Arm type chipset and Atom chip do not have enough system device drivers for UBUNTU itself, and their functions do not seem to be sufficient. It takes time to solve it.

Beelink AP 34 was able to set the INDI environment most easily among the above.
Because this PC uses Intel's chipset, it took less time to install and setup the system device driver.
Probably Intel's NUC is the easiest to set up.

In the Arm system, I think it is easy for RPi 3 to build the most stable environment at the moment. (Arm family second best is NanoPi - M4 (in my case))
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd

Last Edit: by T-Studio.

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 2 weeks 7 hours ago #31986

I use an Asus Tinker board, runs kstars/ekos perfectly

www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Tinker-Board/

Install is simple

github.com/Patrick-81/NAFABox

regards

Takahashi FC-100DF, Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro, Baader modified Canon 550D, Orion 50mm guide scope with ZWO ASI 120MC, homebuilt BT Moonlite focuser, Asus Tinkerboard running Armbian Ubuntu 16.04LTS with kstars ( github.com/Patrick-81/NAFABox )

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 2 weeks 7 hours ago #31989

For what it's worth, I run my whole imaging rig from an Intel Compute Stick (CS125), which retails for about $130. Quad-core atom x5 Z8300, 1.44 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC, dual-band wifi, 1xUSB2, 1xUSB3. The computer weighs just 62 grams and is easily attached to the scope with velcro. It is powered from micro USB and draws less than 5 Watts (usually about 0.5 amps at 5 Volts).

I run straight-up Ubuntu 18.04 on the stick, and installed InDI, KStars, TheSkyX, and PHD2 without a hitch. Performance is fluid and snappy. I run the whole client session from the stick, saving the images to a 64 GB micro-SD card. I *don't* run the devices off the InDI driver on the stick with the KStars client running on a more capable machine inside. Rather, I use TeamViewer or VNC from indoors to set up the run, then let it operate unattended all night and collect my pictures in the morning.

I've been playing with the little compute sticks for years, first with Windows (SGP and PHD2 and TSX) and then more recently with Ubuntu. Windows was a dog on the stick. Win 10 Home 32 bit was pre-installed, but can't download a big image (my imaging camera is 7376x4928 pixels). I installed 64-bit Windows which can handle big images, but performance really lags.

By contrast, Ubuntu performs great on the stick. I don't notice any performance lag except maybe with plate solves. I don't run Lubuntu or Mate, just out-of-the-box Ubuntu 18.04 with Gnome 3 Shell. Everything installed right away and runs great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dokeeffe, wvreeven, AstroNerd, starman345

Last Edit: by airscott. Reason: mistake

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 1 week 6 days ago #31998

• stash
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
And the dual band (5ghz especially) wireless worked without downloading drivers from Intel ??????

Did you switch off the BT ?

When I looked at the Stick I discounted it as Wifi had many issues even on Windows - Cloudynights had some reports of the issues. Maybe I should have persevered :-(

RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 1 week 6 days ago #32000

@stash: I have not had any problems with wifi on the stick(s). I have never used BT with them, but don't recall having to switch it off either, and no I never downloaded wifi or network drivers. Basically worked out of the box, though I was unable to get 32-bit Win 10 to work with my camera so I installed ubuntu.

I use it routinely in my back yard (home wifi is 5 GHz) and at my mountain cabin where I use 2.4 GHz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stash

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 1 week 6 days ago #32001

@Stash
They solved all the issues with putting Ubuntu on these Atom sticks with the latest Ubuntu 18.04.1... it was the previous versions that had all the WiFi driver issues... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dokeeffe, stash

Last Edit: by AstroNerd.

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 1 week 6 days ago #32005

Does it have to be an SBC? I bought a second hand office desktop PC on ebay that sits by my pier. Its a bit bulky but works really well. Its just an intel i5 with 8gb ram. Pretty basic but for the last 2years its worked very well. I can power it on remotely using wakeonlan.

Celestron CPC1100 Atik 383L
HP8300 Elite i5 running Xubuntu, Indi, Kstars & Ekos
Roll off roof observatory
Battling Irish weather
github.com/dokeeffe
twitter.com/BallyhouraStars

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 1 week 5 days ago #32038

@dokeeffe
No of course it’s not just SBC any computer that will run Linux can be used.. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dokeeffe

Valid Alternatives to rpi3b+ 1 week 5 days ago #32039

+1 for the Rock64. I use it for indiserver and phd, and have just installed astrometry.net on it. I have it with a 32 Gb card, but would beed to upgrade to 64. I believe that I was one of the furst people to use thus sbc. There were a lot of issues in the beginning, but now it's well supported and very stable.
I use it with ubuntu 16.04

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Rock64 x 2 with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

www.astrobin.com/users/wimvb/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica