INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

USB Focus dispatch error

• Thank you received: 9
Hi,
I am trying to set up a USB Focus v3 kit on a Raspberry Pi 2. Latest INDI with usbfocus 0.7 driver on the Pi and latest KStars from the PPA.
When I connect to it from Ekos, all values are reported properly, e.g. the absolute steps are shown and updated when moving the focuser with the handbox. It does however not react to any commands from Ekos and the driver output gives dispatch error messages when trying to move it through Ekos or the INDI control panel. Here is an excerpt:

2016-10-13T15:25:01: Client 0: read <newNumberVector device='USB-Focus' name='ABS_FOCUS_POSITION'>
2016-10-13T15:25:01: Driver indi_usbfocus_focuser: queuing responsible for <newNumberVector device='USB-Focus' name='ABS_FOCUS_POSITION'>
2016-10-13T15:25:01: Driver indi_usbfocus_focuser: sending <newNumberVector device="USB-Focus" name="ABS_FOCU
2016-10-13T15:25:01: Driver indi_usbfocus_focuser: indi_usbfocus_focuser dispatch error:
2016-10-13T15:25:06: Client 0: read <newNumberVector device='USB-Focus' name='ABS_FOCUS_POSITION'>
2016-10-13T15:25:06: Driver indi_usbfocus_focuser: queuing responsible for <newNumberVector device='USB-Focus' name='ABS_FOCUS_POSITION'>
2016-10-13T15:25:06: Driver indi_usbfocus_focuser: sending <newNumberVector device="USB-Focus" name="ABS_FOCU
2016-10-13T15:25:06: Driver indi_usbfocus_focuser: indi_usbfocus_focuser dispatch error:
7 years 5 months ago #10806

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Adam on topic USB Focus dispatch error

Hi,
I tried it again and moving the focuser from the indi control panel seems to work, just not from Ekos.
It is very difficult to check that however, because most of the time, when I try to connect to the focuser from Ekos, Kstars crashes with a segfault error. I ran Kstars via gdb on a notebook with Ubuntu Mate 16.04 with the 0.7 usbfocus driver (focuser connected locally) from Peter and latest indilib and Kstars from Jasem's PPA, the output is attached.
Of course I'm happy to provide more information if needed.

Adam
7 years 5 months ago #10828
Attachments:

Adam, can you type in 'bt' in gdb after you get the crash and post the backtrace (bt) ?

EDIT: never mind, I think I found the issue, please update your KStars (on 16.04) in an hour or two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 5 months ago #10841

Ok, thanks a lot, I will try!
Just in case, here is the whole thing with backtrace.
7 years 5 months ago #10843
Attachments:

Hi Jasem,
I updated KStars and the crash is gone, thanks again. :)
The initial issue is still present however. The motor can be controlled with the INDI control panel, but when trying to move it from Ekos with the focus module, it gives the dispatch errors from above and doesn't move at all. This is when connected to the Raspberry Pi 2 and controlled through Ekos on the PC.
7 years 5 months ago #10846

I'm not sure about the dispatch error, perhaps use indiserver -vvv to get more verbose log? Does Ekos work ok with the Focus simulator?
7 years 5 months ago #10849

Attached you find the -vvv output.
Yes, Ekos is working fine with the simulator.
Another thing I encountered is, that when connecting the focuser locally on the PC, it breaks completely: It can't even be moved with the handbox and the values for speed a.s.o. in the INDI control panel are complete garbage until I reset the controller with the USB Focus Windows software. That doesn't happen on the Pi however.

Edit: One of the dispatch errors is around line 2000.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Adam.
7 years 5 months ago #10850
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 4
Hi all,

I guess I can confirm a similar problem. I set up a new Indi/Kstars installation based on Kubuntu 16.04 about two weeks ago. Now I attached an USB focus v3. In the indi control panel, the USB focus v3 works fine, including enabling temperature compensation and focusing in and out by providing a number of relative ticks.

However, any endeavours of controlling the USB focus v3 from Ekos in the focus tab has not been successful. Moving the focus updates the tick display, but trying to focus in or out manually, or staring an autofocus run in Ekos does not move the focus motor.

I'm not sure whether this is related to the same problem, but controlling the focus motor by a joystick does also not work for me. It is possible to activate joystick support in indi, and to configure the corresponding joystick buttons. However, pressing any buttons at my joystick does not move the focus, regardless of which buttons I try to configure.

Please let me know, if I can provide any additional information from my side.
7 years 4 months ago #11222

I included better error reporting for dispatch errors, so please update libindi within the next few hours and post the errors you get.
7 years 4 months ago #11233

• Thank you received: 4
Dear Jasem,

Thanks a lot for your outstanding support. As requested, here is the output of indiserver -vvv for the updated libindi. Unfortunately, I cannot tell that I understand what is going on, but if i would have to make an uneducated guess, I would presume that the indi_usbfocus_focuser driver does not properly respond to setting an absolute focus position. Unfortunately I cannot check the sources myself, but the reason why a came to this assumption is that indi_simulator_focus supports setting an absolute position, while indi_usbfocus_focuser does not seem to provide this option in Kstar's indi device panel.

File Attachment:

File Name: indiserver-vvv.tar.gz
File Size:1,882 KB
7 years 4 months ago #11382
Attachments:

Hi George,

I believe USB Focus is statically linked to libindi so Cloudmakers should update it first before you can get any useful dispatch error message. I already talked to Peter so let's wait and see.
7 years 4 months ago #11402

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I have also bought the USB Focus and have the same problem. To control the focuser from indi control panel works excellent, but I can´t control it from Ekos.
Are there same news?

Sebastian
7 years 4 months ago #12563

Time to create page: 1.235 seconds