INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Trouble Connecting ZWO/ASI EFW Wheel

• Thank you received: 0
I've got those too :). Sorry I missed those in my reply - forgot about them.

I have INDI working for everything except the EFW. I've been running Kstars for several months, but added the EFW and motorized my Moonlite last week... and that is when trouble began.
C11 on CGEM, ATIK314L+, ASI120MM on ST80 for guiding, motorized Moonlite focuser, ZWO EFW with Ha, OIII, and SII and Lum, all connected to RPi 3 with Kstars/Ekos/Indi
6 years 9 months ago #17344

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 24
After reviewing your original post, you indicated you tried running Kstars as root and it did not help.

Please help me understand your setup more.

As an example, my setup is detailed below and the key points are the running of indiserver as root, and the uses of remote host with INDI web service checked. Doing anything other either the ASI224 is not detected/loaded or the EFW is not detected/loaded.

Setup:

- RPI3 using Ubuntu-mate 16.04 via the Astroberry image: indilib.org/forum/general/2183-astroberr...er.html?limitstart=0 Recommend this for the RPI3 and Kstars to get you a quick start.
- RPI3 is connected to network at home - wifi or LAN did not matter
- CGEM via HC, ASI1600 is connected to RPI3 USB
- EFW and ASI224 is connected to the ASI1600 USB hub
- ASI 224 ST-4 is connected to mounts ST-4 port

indiserver always runs on RPI3. I use the INDI Web server for this via the tutorial: indilib.org/support/tutorials/162-indi-web-manager.html

In this tutorial, i set the User=root for the indi web manager within the indiwebmanager.service file, and set the service to autostart.

Now I can either VNC into RPI3 and use the Kstars desktop directly on the RPI3, or I can launch Kstars on my Mac.

In both cases, Mode: local cannot work for me. The mode: remote is needed for the kstars/ekos/indi config. If kstars is running on RPI3 then use Host: localhost, and if on Mac use the IP address of the RPI3. In both case the INDI WebManager check box is checked.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
6 years 9 months ago #17345

I do not have a permanent telescope setup and the weather has been stormy recently (I live in North Carolina, USA).

Right now, for testing, this is the configuation. Only the other connected devices change when I'm at the telescope:

- RPI3 using Ubuntu-mate 16.04 - unsure of source but it was a very easy install.
- RPI3 is connected to wifi network at home
- Currently setup with Telescope Simulator
- Currently setup with CCD Simulator
- EFW is connected by USB directly from device to USB port. (It clearly is connected and available per diagnostic info in original post)

I run my profile in LOCAL mode. In the original post, I posted some screenshots that may help. Perhaps a related symptom is that I find the CCD will not connect in remote mode. I actually just checked and in remote mode, nothing connects. In Local mode, the telescope and CCD simulators connect. The EFW does not connect. The message panel tells me "Unable to Establish: + ASI Wheel Please ensure the device is connected and powered on". To me, this is indicating INDI isn't recognizing the device. The udev/rules.d file contents for 99-efw.rulesare above, assuming INDI it referenced for the correct file name. My guess is something to do with this file is the problem - but I'm not really familiar with the inner workings of ekos/indi.

Thank for the help so far. I'm happy to continue trying things out if you have anything else to check.

-Matt
C11 on CGEM, ATIK314L+, ASI120MM on ST80 for guiding, motorized Moonlite focuser, ZWO EFW with Ha, OIII, and SII and Lum, all connected to RPi 3 with Kstars/Ekos/Indi
6 years 9 months ago #17354

Your systems are the same as mine. I too setup and take down every session.

The key different is that I use INDI web manager to run the server as root, and run Kstars as a user.

The setup I am using right now is in the image.

Perhaps a start a terminal session on the RPI3, and start indi using this:

sudo indiserver indi_asi_wheel indi_simulator_telescope indi_simulator_ccd &

Then connect Ekos using the same profile in the image

This works for me, and simulates the conditions I use for Ekos to start INDI with the INDI Web Manager.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Lochansky
6 years 9 months ago #17355
Attachments:

PROGRESS!!!

I am now able to connect to the EFW in remote mode. After starting the indiserver manually, changing my setup to remote, the EFW appeared in the control panel and I was able to connect.

So, why doesn't it work in local mode? :)

I also somehow configured indiserver to start when my RPi boots.... I suppose I need to find the command that starts it - if I add in the asi_wheel (and maybe the CCD) I may be able to run indi in remote mode (which I'd prefer over local, but never got remote to work before).

-Matt
6 years 9 months ago #17357

I have not been able to determine why local mode does not work. I have reached out to ZWO, and no solutions yet.

To maximize the RPI3 flexibility, look to setup the starting of the indiserver using the INDI Web server: indilib.org/support/tutorials/162-indi-web-manager.html

Ekos can still be used to start the indiserver. This setup lets you also start Kstars on a PC to connect to the RPI3.

Attached is the config I use using INDI Web server. The key is to use localhost as your IP when running report.
6 years 9 months ago #17358
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 3
Hi Matt,
Does the efw-rules works for you in remote mode, in other words do you have to run INDI as root?

Yang
6 years 9 months ago #17359

Yes. Using kstars as a normal user, remotely connecting to a manually created indi server as prescribed OR using the indi web server(!), the EFW appears in my INDI control panel and I was able to connect to the filter wheel. I probably will not get to connect it up the full telescope setup until this weekend.

I'm now trying to sort out a remote connection where my laptop connects to the RPi as that was my original intention 6 months ago. It's also where my RPi/Linux knowledge fades. I'm getting connection issues (e.g. too slow / timeout) when pointing at the IP:port. I'm sure I can find a thread on those issues, though.

To summarize:
1. The EFW will not work under a local connection (June 20, 2017)
2. Make sure indiserver is properly configured to allow a remote connection (I didn't have indi_asi_wheel in my indiserver, which is why it did not connect - the web server made the apparent!)

But I think the original purpose of the thread has been solved. Thanks, Maudy!!! Please let me know if you hear anything from ZWO.
6 years 9 months ago #17360

Hi,

Per an update in another thread, I am retesting the ASI224 connecting as user. Other thread: indilib.org/forum/embedded-indi/2449-new...b-manager.html#18303

After a quick change of the systemd service file back to a user and not root. The ASI224 did connect and a test image was taken. This was done both with the local indi server and the INDI web manager running as a USER - Yay!

With the initial success, I will test a complete setup: RPI3 -> ASI1600 -> ASI EFW + ASI224 (another config is to the ASI174), and then a future setup of RPI3 -> ASI1600 -> USB2 hub -> ASI174 and Focuser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 7 months ago #18319

Although not as planned, good news:

RPI3 -> ASI1600 -> ASI EFW + ASI174
With RPI3 -> CGEM
And RPI3-> USB Stick

All worked using the INDI-web, and Kstars/Ekos as USER and not ROOT.

Testing the ASI224 will be delayed a bit. Willl report back.
6 years 7 months ago #18363

I got to do a quick indoor test of the ASI224 and my other setup using the RPI3. Even though it is cloudy again, the rain is needed so no complaints.

Good news! The ASI224mm-cooled connect as USER.

This is recent for me as I tried to use it beginning of July and still needed to change the server to run as root.

Thank you for the great update!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
6 years 7 months ago #18438

That's great! Always nice to see some great software still being improved upon!

After getting my initial testing done a few months ago I wasn't able to get back to it. The weather has been awful and my job has just drained every ounce of energy from me!
6 years 7 months ago #18439

Time to create page: 1.111 seconds