INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

TCFS focuser stopped working - driver fails to load

• Thank you received: 53
I just got myself a nice new Optec TCF-Si focuser.
Hooked it all up and tested on windows with no problems.
So next test was to use it with INDI last night.
I was using Kstars on my Windows 8.1 PC connecting to a Raspberry Pi3 running Ubuntu Mate
Got the drivers started on the Raspberry Pi - all good.
Minor issue connectinf to the TCF as I think it was initializing In due course it connected. So far so good.
Saved the config file as per the warning.
It was connected to ttyusb0 as I had forgotten to reconnect the EQ6 cable. So EQMOD at first failed then I got it connected to ttyusb1.

Next I tried the focuser module. Unfortuantely I forgot to turn on Ekos logging for that module.

Anyway it seemd to be working ok until Kstars crashed.

On estarting I could not get the TCFS driver to load. All other drivers loaded ok (EQMOD, ZWO_CCD, ASI_WHEEL)
Tried starting indiserver with just the TCFS driver and no good.
Tried to direct output to a log file but nothing produced.
There is also no INDI driver log for TCFS or even a folder - there are folders and logs for all the other drivers

Attached are the Kstars logs from Windows and the command line output from indiserver trying to start the TCFS driver
Could it be some sort of permissions problem?
6 years 5 months ago #20483
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

looks like it's crashing, can you run it via GDB and then post the backtrace?
gdb --eval-command="set follow-fork-mode child" --args indiserver -v indi_tcfs_focus

After gdb is started, type in run, then try to connect to it, and if it crashes in the console, type in bt to get the backtrace.
6 years 5 months ago #20495

Not sure if this is very helpful other than that it confirms a segfault. What's odd is that it worked the first time.
6 years 5 months ago #20497
Attachments:

Looks like gdb is broken on RPI3. Can you repeat it on a desktop/laptop?
6 years 5 months ago #20504

I'll give that a try and take notes as I go. Ran out of time tonight so will try tomorrow
6 years 5 months ago #20539

I ran indiserver on my x64 Ubuntu VM.
Like on the RPi3 it runs ok until the config file is saved from Ekos. Then it wont start ever again. Attaching the output from gdb (only marginally more helpful than on the RPi3) plus indi and kstars logs. I can view the indi logs in the VM but attempts to copy them result in a "protocol error" and I cannot extract or view anywhere else.
I cannot connect to the driver because it crashes before the listener starts up.
6 years 5 months ago #20566
Attachments:

Acting on a hunch I renamed the Optec TCFS config file to effectively disable it. After that I renamed it back and the driver failed so the issue is related to reading the config file.
Attaching the offending file (with .txt extension added to keep the forum software happy) just in case it helps
6 years 5 months ago #20567
Attachments:

The GDB file is more useful now but you didn't type in bt when you got the crash. You need in to type that to get the full backtrace. I tried to use the same config here but it didn't crash with the TCF-S simulator. So try gdb again and try to get the full backtrace.
6 years 5 months ago #20570

At least now I can reproduce the error at will. Attaching gdb backtrace
6 years 5 months ago #20571
Attachments:

Ok, the gdb is still not very useful to indicate the exact issue. At any rate, I updated the driver, so check again after tomorrow's update.
6 years 5 months ago #20573

I built libindi on the VM and TCFS driver no longer crashes. However, it seems to have problems processing commands.
Kstars and Indi logs attached.
BTW - is it possible to change INDI log filenames to change ":" to some other character? Windows can't open the files when it contains ":"
6 years 5 months ago #20600
Attachments:

You don't need to submit two files now. Just the KStars one is enough since it also logs the driver (if you check Focuser logging which you did). I will check it out.
6 years 5 months ago #20607

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds