INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Re:Re:Re:LX200 GPS with Meade 1209 microfocuser trouble

• Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone! First time posting here but I've lurked on the forums a good bit while getting things up and running for the most part. Unfortunately I'm stuck on the focuser module :(

I'm having trouble with INDI/EKOS and the auto focus routine using my Meade LX200 GPS mount and the attached Meade 1209 microfocuser. I'm hoping someone here might have an answer to get this working as expected or at least point me in the right direction. As soon as I can get this problem worked out I think I can actually start imaging!

I have two scenarios with using the focuser in INDI/EKOS, one that works and one that doesn't. The problem is the one that works is the "manual" method

I am able to make the microfocuser move if I use the buttons with these steps:
-Start INDI and connect devices
-Go to the INDI Control Panel screen > LX200GPS tab > Focus tab
-Set the speed to any non zero value (1,2,or 3)
-Set the timer to some value like 500 or 1000 ms
-Click one of the direction buttons (in or out)

Unfortunately even in the same INDI session or after restarting INDI completely, it does not move from the EKOS Focuser tab if I click the autofocus button. It correctly operates the attached Canon DSLR and autoselects a star. It has lines in the display at the bottom that say moving focus in or out by ####ms, but the focuser is silent and does not move.

My steps for this test were as follows:
-Start INDI and connect devices
-Go to EKOS > Focuser tab
-Ensure the LX200gps focuser is selected
-Ensure a good star to focus on is present near the middle of the frame and a rough focus has been acheived with the LX200 mirror positioning.
-Click autofocus
-Wait... The first frame is captured, then the star is autoselected and several subframes are taken. between each subframe the info at the bootom of the screen states the focuser should be moving inward by ####ms but there is no movement.

I have attached two log files of the two scenarios above (I've remove the GPS fix info for privacy but otherwise these are both full session logs where I start INDI, connect, run the appropriate test scenario and then stop INDI. I see in both files lines like the following:
[2018-04-18T22:58:54.516 MDT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 GPS : "<setGPSFocuserSpeed>

However, only when I'm using the controls on the INDI Control panel do I get focuser movement and these lines in the log:
[2018-04-18T22:33:10.053 MDT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 GPS : "<setFocuserMotion> "
[2018-04-18T22:33:11.735 MDT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 GPS : "<setFocuserSpeedMode> "
[2018-04-18T22:33:14.674 MDT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 GPS : "<setFocuserMotion> "
[2018-04-18T22:33:16.412 MDT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 GPS : "<setFocuserSpeedMode> "

In the log called "FocuserDoesNotMove.txt" the Focuser should be moving around line 1670 and on where you can see the Focus module has gone into subframing mode.

Any idea why I can't control my focuser from the EKOS focuser tab?

Thanks for any insight you can offer! I'm hoping this one doesn't need to go to the devs :/
Jon

[Edit 04/24] P.S. - Just thought to check version numbers and post those here. INDI Library is version 1.7.0, KStars is version 2.9.4, both obtained from PPA / apt install method on (x)ubuntu 16.04, last updated a couple weeks ago.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jon. Reason: Added version info
5 years 11 months ago #25420
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
I have exactly the same problem. Both with “lx200autostar” and “lx200gps” drivers the autofocus function does not work in kstars.
4 years 8 months ago #41407

How about when you click "Focus in" and "Focus out" buttons in Ekos focus tab? does that move the focuser?
4 years 8 months ago #41408

No, only on the indi lx200autostar driver tab /focuser.
4 years 8 months ago #41411

• Thank you received: 140

Hold on this will not work as the Meade 1209 is a DC motor focuser and not a stepper, so unless I am missing something it won’t work at all...as you can’t get absolute position with a 12v DC motor... :)
4 years 8 months ago #41413

That’s true... :S
May be using another plugin (for dc with no position control?).
4 years 8 months ago #41414

Alright, so the problem was LX200 driver was not using INDI::FocuserInterface, it was using its very old internal system. I just migrated it to use INDI::FocuserInterface and it should work with the autofocus controls now. Better late than never. Please test it and let me know if it works.
4 years 8 months ago #41418

• Thank you received: 140

How can this work when it’s not a stepper motor focuser, but a DC motor with no step control...??
4 years 8 months ago #41421

Thanks a bundle. It'll be some time before I can test as we'll be moving to a new house soon. Which version do i need to fetch once I'm ready?
4 years 8 months ago #41424

It runs for a set number of milliseconds. It's no where best as precise, but the auto focus routine can still calculate the FWHM (iirc) curve and get closer than unaided focusing.
4 years 8 months ago #41425

Simple DC focus motors are supported in Ekos. There are really not recommended at all and I think everyone should invest in a stepper motor based focuser, but they still exist so we gotta support them.
4 years 8 months ago #41428

Thanks a lot!
I’m going to test it asap!

PD: i understand that i must update indi simply
P
4 years 8 months ago #41430

Time to create page: 0.873 seconds