INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Microtouch focuser refuses to connect : Resource busy

• Thank you received: 33

The focuser was functioning perfectly the last time (ten days ago)

At one stage (when launching Ekos) a dialog said that an INDI instance was already running, and if I wanted to close it : I said YES.
I also click on the checkbox : don't show this dialog again.
This was maybe a mistake because my problem comes from this other INDI instance always running ?
What do you think ?
5 years 7 months ago #28087
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
Possibly there is an indiserver still running in the background, but that should be solved by a reboot of your computer. I can't really help more precisely on OSX. Unless you know how "ps" and "kill" work and are able to find the process identifier of the offending indiserver, if any.

You didn't detail what happened for the various steps I proposed? From what I see, your Ekos is not connecting devices automatically when starting INDI right? There's only one error line in the console, that's different from what you described earlier...

-Eric
5 years 7 months ago #28092

I did write my comment on each step after your query.
On Step 2 : The port name was the correct one originally
On Step 6 + 7 : There was a red button on Step 6, and an error was reported on Step 7

After a restart, nothing changed and the problem was still there.

In the KStars Preferences I clicked on the "Restore default" button but this didn't solve anything.
5 years 7 months ago #28093

Oops I'm so sorry, the quote block was folded in my phone interface! Thanks for the comments!

What does "lsof /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART" outputs when kstars is closed and you're relatively sure no indiserver is running in the background? From the first message that appears in the panel console, I'd expect the device to be free.

Meanwhile I'm checking for a change in the serial connector in INDI.

-Eric
5 years 7 months ago #28094

No problem, Eric.

When KStars is not running and I run "lsof /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART" in the Terminal, I get this :
iMac27:~ JCJ$ lsof /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
and when KStars is running, I get this :
iMac27:~ JCJ$ lsof /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
indi_micr 2285 JCJ 3u CHR 21,7 0t4 709 /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART

I am trying to reinstall KStars on a brand new macOS X to see if I can connect.
If I can't, then the INDI driver is faulty.
What do you bet ?

Regards,
5 years 7 months ago #28099

Bingo ! On a brand new macOS disk, I get exactly the same error : the Microtouch focuser can't connect.
It seems now to me that the fault is on the INDI driver side.
5 years 7 months ago #28101

I would have bet so indeed, given the context. Let's try to find the problem. Am I not mistaken that you had the same issue one year ago and that it was an incorrect baud rate? (is the Andromède observatory yours?)

I was pretty sure that it was the same issue as my Moonlite though. I suspect it has to do with a timeout or perhaps an interval between actions that is too short. Most of the time the Moonlite driver will fail to connect on the first attempt. When the error appears, I can press "connect" again and the driver successfully connects. I don't remember if I ever needed to try this multiple times though. Could you try this method repeatedly to ensure your situation is different?

Also, would you happen to have an old log from the time the connection was working? I can see in your last log that the very first command, the handshake, fails. That's a 1-byte command (incorrectly appearing as "0xffffff8d" in the log, that's 0x8d actually) that tries to read 3 bytes. No clue if that could be related though. Write is successful (no WriteCmd error in the log), read is successful (no WriteCmdGetResponse error in the log) but content read is incorrect.

If we hit a dead end, I'll raise the priority on my investigation of the Moonlite issue on my setup...

Unless unless unless it is the position issue that goes over 32768 ticks? The Handshake function is managing a signed 16-bit, while the GetPosition function is managing a 32-bit. Could you try to move the focuser manually until its reported position is under that value before connecting?

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jean-Claude JESIOR
5 years 7 months ago #28106

No, position is coded with 16-bit. But ack will only succeed if position if positive.

No more ideas for tonight :)

-Eric
5 years 7 months ago #28107

Eric,

This is true that I had the same focuser connection problem in March 2018 (bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392148) and it got solved "by itself" through an unknown way. And now the problem comes back again ... through an unknown way .

My observatory is not Andromède but I published it as My Igloo in Laval (but I'm unable to give you a link to it).

I checked that the baud rate is 19200.

But You found the bug :
"Unless unless unless it is the position issue that goes over 32768 ticks? The Handshake function is managing a signed 16-bit, while the GetPosition function is managing a 32-bit. Could you try to move the focuser manually until its reported position is under that value before connecting?"
If I set the focuser manually below or equal 32767 : the focuser connects (see attachment)
If I set it above 32767 : the focuser doesn't connect.

There is definitely a bug in the INDI driver due to a integer/longint definition.

A big bravo for having found the bug !
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Jean-Claude JESIOR.
5 years 7 months ago #28121

Then we'll need to have a drink together at some point. I'm located ten kilometers north of Rennes :)

Can you open an issue on the INDI github for this? I can do that at some point if you want.

-Eric
5 years 7 months ago #28123

OK, I opened an issue on the INDI github.
github.com/indilib/indi/issues/672
Regards,
5 years 7 months ago #28221

• Thank you received: 10
I am trying to determine if there is indi support/driver for the microtouch focuser by starizona. judging by this thread there is a driver, albeit with some problems, I dont see the microtouch listed in the list of devices ?? I have a celestron C8 using hyperstar, and the microtouch is the only solution I have found for use on a sct using hyperstar.

also the astroimager mac application does not list microtouch as an option for a supported focuser. stark-labs does have a free mac app to run the microfocuser, and does list it as supported by nebulosity on the mac os, but I have not tested itas I have not yet purchased the microtouch focuser.

thanks
5 years 7 months ago #28238

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds