INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pegasus FocusCube and Eqdir - just a heads up

• Thank you received: 16
I recently bought a Pegasus Focuscube to replace my simple DC focus motor / Arduino homebuild. Installation went fine, and worked with the simulator telescope. But when I had the chance yesterday to connect it to my AZ-EQ6 (Eqdir) telescope, I got timeout errors and the focuser didn't work.
It turned out that the focuser uses a FTDI usb chip, the same as my eqdir cable. This causes a conflict in USB ports.
This is how I fixed it:
I created a new rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d called 99-usb-serial.rules
The file contains two lines:

SUBSYSTEM=="tty",ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001" SYMLINK+="telescope"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty",ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6015" SYMLINK+="focus"

(Note that for this to work, you need to enter the correct vendor and product ID. If these aren't unique, you may need to add some sort of serial number. Anything so you can differentiate between the eqdir and focuser.)
Then I updated the rules:

sudo udevadm trigger

Rebooted the mount computer (Rock64), just to reset everything, and started indi

indiserver -v indi_eqmod_telescope indi_dmfc_focus indi_asi_ccd indi_asi_wheel

Connected to the drivers from Ekos/Kstars on my windows machine, started up indi and connected. In the Connection tab of the focuser I set the usb port as

/dev/focus

and in the Connection tab of the mount (telescope) I set the usb port as

/dev/telescope

Then save the configurations.
Done.

Btw, at the time of writing this, the nightly build is still needed to get the Pegasus focuser working.

I hope this can be of use to someone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Wim van Berlo.
5 years 5 months ago #31658

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140
Very strange, now that the new driver is available for the Pegasus UPB I have been using that, which also has the FTDI chipset for the focuser part, and I also use a FTDI EQMOD cable, and yet no such issues at all....It just worked straight away, wonder why this works and the focus cube did not..
Anyway glad you sorted.... :) :)
5 years 5 months ago #31676

Is that driver included in indi? I use the one that is included. The only thing I did to get the focuser working, was installing the nightly build. When I went back to the stable release after the port "assignment", it stopped working.
5 years 5 months ago #31683

This turned out to be a short fix. Atm I can't connect using the symbolic name, and using the usb device name (/dev/ttyUSB0) connects, but results in timeout errors.
I'll start a new topic for this, and contact pegasus.
5 years 4 months ago #31738

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds