INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pegasus Focuscube has timeout errors

• Thank you received: 16
Yes, I've seen that list. But my cube actually has the device number 6015, and I use this for the symbolic link (/dev/focus).
Unfortunately the driver that Peter wrote is for the upb. The focus cube is supposed to be supported by the newest production indi library (indi_dmfc_focus). Also, my cube connects, and does get som data over sometimes, but then it just keeps timing out.
I checked if it could be a power problem, so I replaced my power box (Meanwell 12 V power supply with enough amps) with an AC adapter. Also replaced the usb cable, in case that was faulty. No luck.
When I first tested the focuscube, it worked. But then it suddenly stopped. The only thing different that I can think of is that I updated the nightly build.
Anyway, I have uninstalled the nightly build, and reverted to the latest stable build, since that has focuscube support. Now I just need to check if this works. Will do that tomorrow.
I also have a Raspberry Pi lying around, which uses armhf. Will see tomorrow if that works. Otherwise I'm completely out of options.
In the mean time, I've also contacted Pegasus Astro. Maybe they have a sollution.

Cheers,
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Wim van Berlo.
5 years 4 months ago #31746

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140
Hmmmm, not sure then.. :)
5 years 4 months ago #31761

• Thank you received: 140
Just a thought, but have you tried the indigo driver at that may be better...the UPB driver is actually an indigo driver...I have just installed the whole of indigo package, and am going to give it a try with my kit.
github.com/indigo-astronomy/indigo/blob/...cuser_dmfc/README.md
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by AstroNerd.
5 years 4 months ago #31764

• Thank you received: 2
i tried my new focuscube with the DMFC and i had the same issues but i also noticed that when i manage to connect my dmfc the motor had an absurd amount of max steps and my EQMOD mount would stop tracking unless i completely remove the dmfc from the profile. Has anybody found any solution?
HEQ5 Pro Rowan Belt Mod, GSO RC8'', SW ED80, Atik 383L+, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, SX Lodestar, ZWO ASI 120MC
5 years 4 months ago #31888

You need to make sure that there can be no port conflict between your mount and the cube. Both have an ftdi usb serial chip.
Here's what I did
indilib.org/forum/focusers-filter-wheels...just-a-heads-up.html
It allows you to connect both eqmod and focuscube.
5 years 4 months ago #31889

i tried using your other thread but i had no luck
HEQ5 Pro Rowan Belt Mod, GSO RC8'', SW ED80, Atik 383L+, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, SX Lodestar, ZWO ASI 120MC
5 years 4 months ago #31899

In the ekos controlpanel where you connect to indi, in the connection tab, you need to enter the port as /dev/focus (or whatever you called it). Then disable port scanning, and save the configuration. (Options tab, I believe. I'm not at my computer right now.)
5 years 4 months ago #31900

i got it working. The issue was that i was using my usb hub without power. Let me explain. I use a 5v usb hub and recently i purchased a 12v usb hub. Now at the power distribution box i made for the RPi and the hub i installed a dc-dc converter in order to have a stable 12v supply for my new hub while i was waiting for it to arrive by mail and i thought to use my current 5v d-link hub without power, what could go wrong? Well pretty much a wasted night and a lot of frustration. Once i powered my 5v d-link hub with 5v everything connected fine. The dmfc speed is at 9600 with auto detect the ports at both the mount and the focuser and i have no timeouts, the focuser ticks are not an absurd number and the mount tracks and moves as it should.
5 years 4 months ago #31902

That's one option I haven't really tried yet: connecting through a powered hub. I was hoping to avoid that; one more power connection needed.
When I connect to a raspberry pi, I get fewer timeouts than with a rock64. Also a speed of 19200 works. More testing.
5 years 4 months ago #31906

Tonight I took the telescope inside and removed the focuser. I then tested it with INDI, and it suddenly worked.
Now I've reattached it and it still works. I don't know exactly what happened, but my guess is that the focuser wasn't connected properly and the stepper motor had to work too hard, drawing current. This then caused the voltage to drop enough for the FTDI chip to stop working properly. I've had issues before with a too low voltage causing communication errors, so this is my best guess.
Hopefully it will also work outside in my obsy.

The configuration that works:
Rock64 with Ubuntu 16.04
INDI 1.7.5 stable release
Clients: Ekos/Kstars on Rock64 and on Windows, PixInsight INDI client on Windows
(no USB hub)
5 years 4 months ago #31988

This evening I tested the cube in my observatory. Again, it wouldn't connect. The only difference since yesterday is the outside temperature: -5 ... -7 C. Is it possible that the unit stops working in the cold? The cube even refused to be connected to the standalone controller on windows.

Does anyone have experience with this product in cold (sub zero) weather?
5 years 4 months ago #32009

Try to disconnect the power supply cable from the dmfc and connect it again. I was doing some tests a few hours ago in my house and the dmfc would stop working even though i had the power connected, not even the focus knob of the unit would work, it is as if the unit went into power save mode.
5 years 4 months ago #32013

Time to create page: 0.680 seconds