INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focuser

• Thank you received: 0

Focuser was created by Emanuele

Good morning,
it is possible to realize a focuser controlled in ekos with a nema 17 stepper motor, a board uno r3 and this motor shield?

www.banggood.com/it/L298N-L298P-4A-Dual-...der&cur_warehouse=CN
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Emanuele.
5 years 4 months ago #31814

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by steve bradley on topic Focuser

That would likely take some coding, unless someone has already written an INDI driver. There are a couple of topics on this forum about arduino focus controllers. Search here and google for "indi arduino focuser"
5 years 4 months ago #31822

Replied by Emanuele on topic Focuser

I've seen several solutions, many use the adafruit motor shield but I don't know if it is equivalent to arduino motor shield .. and I'm not a programmer ..
5 years 4 months ago #31823

• Thank you received: 74

Replied by Clive Stachon on topic Focuser

IMHO - The easiest solution is to not re invent the wheel and just use existing drivers - e.g. Indi Moonlite driver which has a good amount of info, many Arduino ino files that the Indi driver will work with.

A simple Ardiuno Nano and dvr8825 or A498 controller will work fine unless your unit has a lot of torque which is when you need the higher Amps and this,for example, will driver anything you should likely need TB6560 Single 1 Axis Controller Stepper Motor Driver (Google it) and is totally compatible with 5V Arduino boards.

Google Robert Brown's Focuser pro which has Ardiuno code that is compatible with the Indi Moonlite and has a number of driver options :-)

Should you wish to use a wireless connection Wemos D1 mini pro work again with the Moonlite Ardiuno code the only problem being you may have to use a Logic shifter as Wemos uses 3v and a lot of boards use 5v but all you have to do is wire the connections correctly.

The only preference I have is to use Accel Library to drive the controller from within the Arduino code - a well proven Arduino library ,wih (de)acceleration routines www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/AccelStepper/ but thats your choice.

There are masses of Stepper Motor some cheap and limited (but will do the job depending on the load) and lots that are excellent with high spec gearing attached.
Depending on your torque requirement and accuracy you may get away with www.amazon.co.uk/Geared-Stepper-28BYJ-48...Driver/dp/B00UB31XGQ which even comes with its own driver board.

In a nut shell the world's your oyster :-)

P.S. you could even use a USB driven focuser - search Indi forum to see the item.

Good luck with your build :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Clive Stachon.
5 years 4 months ago #31834

• Thank you received: 29

Replied by Helge on topic Focuser

To me it is key that the stepper has a gear box, otherwise the weight of the camera pulls down the focuser.

I recently attached a 1:1
5 years 4 months ago #31847

• Thank you received: 29

Replied by Helge on topic Focuser

To me it is key that the stepper motor has a gear box, otherwise the weight of the camera pulls down the focuser.

I recently attached a nema17 with a 1:14 gearbox via a eBay distributor which is fantastic. If of interest I can share a picture on how connected.

My current project is using the TIC825 usb controller to “avoid” having an arduino in the chain, and directly connect via usb. Otherwise, for the RPi I recommend the Astroberry focuser to have a look from Radek, leveraging on the GPIO Pins of the Pi (github Astroberry-diy)
5 years 4 months ago #31849

Thank you all.
I already have a focuser that works with ascom and transmits the motion to the c9 through a special bracket and strap.
Unfortunately, it is a review of the robofocus that only works in ascom but I need to switch to ekos to be able to command the Nikon d3400 and be able to schedule a few sessions without the expensive MaximDL.
I looked at various projects, I would need something easier to understand. If it were in Italian it would be even easier but if I had found it I would have already realized it!
5 years 4 months ago #31854

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Christian Deppe on topic Focuser

Just out of curiosity...
Did you try any of the drivers provided in the INDI-package.???

Even if it‘s a clone it probably is based on a well know platform.

Cheers & CS

Chris
5 years 4 months ago #31925

Of course!
I think is a project from robofocus but it does not work.
5 years 4 months ago #31929

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Chris Alberts on topic Focuser

Hoi etamburini

i use the onFocus from www.stellarjourney.com/index.php?r=site/equipment_focuser very simple , github.com/hjd1964
recently on this forum onfocus driver was made hoop this helps

Chris
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Chris Alberts.
5 years 4 months ago #31931
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Jan Hruby on topic Focuser

Arduino nano moonlite focuser works fine (I'm using Silent Step Stick motor drivers), except now I'm experimenting with Odroid XU4 (more powerful Raspberry) and I can't connect it. It's detected but handshake fails. I tried to hit "Connect" several times with no success. On older RPI installations first attempt always failed but second succeeded.
5 years 4 months ago #31936

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by PDB on topic Focuser

Do you use a pre-compiled version of Indi on that machine.
If you compile the sources yourself you could try to increase the time-out values.
Are you sure your stty port is at the correct speed? It would be nice to see what the device is anwering.
(The Moonlite starts with send :GP# and seems to be happy when somethings gets back from the device.

Try to talk to the Arduino from the Arduino Development Program using the Serial Monitor (set the correct port and speed and see what happens....)

Regards,

Paul
5 years 4 months ago #31938

Time to create page: 1.356 seconds