INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

myFocuserPro or myFocuserPro2 and INDI

• Thank you received: 7
Hallo Rolf,
I am running firmware ULN2....290 and for reporting this, I have used the INDI driver dialog.
If I flash my hardware with myFocuserProV1 and use the INDI Moonlite driver, the temperature is reported in the driver and to the clients like CCDCiel and EKOS. So I think, my hardware is ok.
Thomas
4 years 5 months ago #44039
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi Thomas

So it appears that we're both running the same MyFP2 .290 firmware version yet we see different outcomes with Alan's indi focus driver for the temperature readout

Might be worth sharing your indi debug logs here for a deeper dive
FYI: I'm seeing logs in this location on my device : ~/.local/share/kstars/logs

For me, I'm able to see the temperature reported back to the ekos GUI

Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Acapulco Rolf.
4 years 5 months ago #44044
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi

Can I please ask that only the latest firmware be used, at present v290, as I will not go back and change the firmware on previous releases. But if there are
issues in 290 I will address them with haste.

On the note of ismoving, the current return value is either 0 or 1. In prior releases it could have been 00 or 01. the INDI driver should
test for both (as does the Windows App or ASCOM drivers).

In terms of the temperature, nothing changed in the firmware. Use the Windows app to confirm that the temperature is being correctly reported from the controller. If it is appearing in Windows App v2xxxx then it removes the controller and firmware out of the picture.

I am not supporting any changes in "firmware" to make the INDI driver go. That could have the potential to break a lot of other dependent things. So that is not an option.

Can I suggest that if you are experiencing errant behavior with maxsteps etc, can I suggest that you also try that same procedures with the Windows App and the v290 firmware. If the behavior is the same it points to an issue in the firmware that I can readily resolve. That way we would not end up chasing things around too much?

regards
Roberto
Author: myfocuserpro2
4 years 5 months ago #44051
Thanks Rob

Update:

Attached the MyFP2 focuser to a laptop running the MyFP2 Windows client (version 2.4.3.9)
MyFP2 firmware version: DRVHW203.290

Focus Position = 3207
Max Steps = 10000

clicked the {+100} focuser travel button
focuser moves +100 steps as expected

clicked the {-100} focuser travel button
focuser moves -100 steps as expected

Ran the above focus travel moves 3 times. Focuser moves as commanded

Connect focuser through the indi connection GUI on a Raspberry Pi 4 running kstars/ekos under Stellarmate (StellarmateOS_1.4.3_rpi4.img)
kstars version: 3.3.7
Attempt to move the focus either in or out using the ekos focuser GUI (be ready to abort the focuser travel)

The focuser will continue to move well past the commanded number of steps
Abort the focus movement using the ekos GUI

On inspection, the ekos GUI appears to show that Max Position is set as it should be
In my use case, Max Position = 10000 (see my earlier screen capture)

Regardless, re-enter and set the Max Position value by entering the value for Max Position in the ekos GUI
Now set the focuser to travel in or out using the ekos GUI and observe that the issue no longer occurs; the focuser moves the defined number of steps without issue

Just as an FYI, after applying the manual workaround above, I had the focuser in service last night with ekos under the stars using Alan's indi driver in between the rain clouds
IIRC, I slewed over to Capella to use as a focus target

Ekos auto focus seems to perform as expected, so all's well on that front with the focuser achieving focus under automation.

Just need to get to the bottom of the "Max Position" issue

Will carry out further field tests as the weather improves

Validated the focus achieved via ekos with a subsequent Bhatinov mask test:
4 years 5 months ago #44081
Hello Rolf,
I had to say a little sorry. Now my board is able to measure temperature with firmware V2 too. With the Windows APP and the INDI Driver.
The solution was found in the documentation. There are define statements for each option in the code. This was new to me. I flashed the UNO again and the issue is gone.

Sorry for this false bug report.

Thomas
4 years 5 months ago #44085
Attachments:
Nice one Thomas

Good that you found the root cause
4 years 5 months ago #44092
Hi Thomas

By the way, how did you launch the screen that you showed in your screen capture?

4 years 5 months ago #44130
Attachments:
Hello Rolf,
I do not use EKOS as a client, so I need a way to start the INDILIB besides the consolor.

It is indistarter, a perfect GUI to do this:
Indistarter download on sourceforge
4 years 5 months ago #44131
Nice one

I thought it was a screen I hadn't come across in the default kstars/ekos build

Good to know :)
4 years 5 months ago #44134
  • Thank you received: 14
I understand your comment "I am not supporting any changes in "firmware" to make the INDI driver go. That could have the potential to break a lot of other dependent things. So that is not an option.", but I asked you directly if anything had changed in the interface and that I was using 280 :) . The only focuser i have is connected to my scope, and I have to dismantle a lot of my wiring to bring it indoors, open the focuser remove the program jumper and flash with latest firmware, so I was hoping not to have to do that. I guess I wiil just have to bite the bullet and load 290.

As I stated before I will "fix" the isMoving, but have been trying to get my development environment working agin since Sunday. The change is simple, but I want to test it.

Regarding the MaxPos, I think the myFP2 firnware should stop the focuser moving is abs position is less than minimum or greater than Max Position (stored at the focuser), I read the max psotion from the focuser on connect, so it is available?
4 years 5 months ago #44196
Thanks Alan

Maybe you can PM me when you get your dev environment set up.
Perhaps I can show you the "Max Pos" issue over a screen share somehow...
Might be easier

I too have it in mind to set up a dev environment for debugging, so let me know how that goes from your side...

By the way, I was out last night putting the focuser through some tests

Once I got past the "Max Pos" issue with the workaround I described, then the focuser works as expected.
Got excellent auto-focus with it last night on IC434 and also M31 via StellarMate :)

4 years 5 months ago #44197
Attachments:
Video below to demonstrate the "Max Steps" issue:

Note how the "Max Steps" value is not populated on startup despite the value being already set on device
Shutdown/startup of kstars/ekos then "loses" the Max Steps value again even after repopulating

If I fire up the MyFP2 Windows client, the "Max Steps" value is populated as expected

As a workaround, I manually set "Max Steps" each time I start up the focuser under kstars/ekos/indi
Not doing so would understandably sets the focuser travelling presumably indefinitely when commanded to move

In my use-case "Max Steps" = 10000
4 years 5 months ago #44198
Time to create page: 1.239 seconds