INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO EAF: Connection issues after using it with ASICAP

• Thank you received: 133
I just received my ZWO EAF :)
It's a really nice unit, very stable with lots of accessories. However, I noticed one thing:
If I run ZWOs ASICAP software, that can also control the EAF, then shut it down, start EKOS and connect to the unit, it fails to properly connect and set values. The drivers aren't very talkative, all I could get from the INDI logs is basically what is also printed in the EKOS box:
INFO    21.469201 sec   : ASI EAF paramaters updated, focuser ready for use.
INFO    21.470055 sec   : Debug is disabled.
ERROR   21.471003 sec   : Failed to set max step. Error: 5
ERROR   21.472112 sec   : Failed to set reversed status. Error: 5
INFO    21.571301 sec   : Debug is enabled.
ERROR   27.405979 sec   : Failed to set position. Error: 5
ERROR   27.406067 sec   : Focuser failed to move to new requested position.
I have to powercycle the unit before INDI will be able to talk to it properly.

Similar happens the other way around: Running it under EKOS, then terminating ans trying to use it in ASICAP fails, the program will not even detect the focusser until I power cycle it.
4 years 8 months ago #41311
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5
Watching with interest...

I also own the ZWO EAF, it works brilliantly with Sequence Generator Pro, but I'm trying out EKOS for fun. Everything works except the EAF, EKOS recognises the correct focus point and just about every other parameter, but won't move the focuser.
4 years 7 months ago #41992

What version of INDI are you using? And have you powercycled the EAF before talking to it with EKOS/INDI (just in case its a similar issue to mine)?
For me the EAF works except for this connection thing. I'm using INDI 1.8.0 from git.
4 years 7 months ago #41993

Maybe ASICAP is not properly shutting down their USB control over the device? If you do it the other way around. First INDI then ASICAP, does it work there?
4 years 7 months ago #41999

No, as stated in the last sentence, it's the same the other way round, after using it in INDI ASICAP will not see it until I power cycle it.
Yes, it might be an unclean shutdown, and then most likely it would be in the binary ASI lib (assuming they use that lib themselves)?

Or could it be the operating system? I had noticed the irritating habit of KDEs external devices unit to completely remove a plugged external harddrive when unmounting it. I have to unplug and reconnect it if I want to use it again. Maybe something similar happens there?
4 years 7 months ago #42000

Well, stupid me of course. If it were the same problem on both sides running twice the same software.

But I did get further: If I run ASICAP, stop it, and restart again, it seems to be in 'moving' state. The small control window instead of "Goto Position" shows 'Stop'. After pressing it, I can use it.
Then connecting with INDI gave me the same error 5 as before, but after using the 'Abort' button in the INDI control I can use the focuser, and also setting the max step and direction will work.

So a solution (on INDI side) could be to also send such an abort sequence during init, before trying to set anything else?
4 years 7 months ago #42001

Can you test this? Just edit asi_focuser.cpp and in bool ASIEAF::Connect() function, just before return readMaxPosition(); add this
AbortFocuser();

Then recompile and see if that works?
4 years 7 months ago #42002

Yes, it does. :D
It doesn't solve the other direction, after quitting INDI ASICAP will not see the EAF until (correction) I re-plug it.
But after running it in ASICAP, it will come up properly without error message in INDI, and is fully usable.
4 years 7 months ago #42004

If you are working on that part anyhow(?) - maybe you can check and add this patch that adds backlash compensation?
It's more or less copying the code from the Pegasus DMFC (the other one I own). It seems to work flawlessly here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 7 months ago #42008
Attachments:

Thanks... this ended up being a rabbit hole and I got around after a few hours of work to supporting backlash at the INDI::FocuserInterface level and then had to update all the libindi and 3rdparty drivers to work with the updated system.

Please git pull and test. make sure to 'sudo make install' libindi _first_ before building the EAF stuff.
4 years 7 months ago #42013

Cool. Much cleaner solution it seems.

Done. Both focusers I have (EAF, DMFC) work fine (they needed a re-check of settings and new config save, but that's expected I guess).
4 years 7 months ago #42023

Time to create page: 1.114 seconds