INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Lakeside Focuser Firmware Version

• Thank you received: 14
Ok... no probs, Glen.... let us know how you get on...

Phil
4 years 4 months ago #45399

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
I have now updated the firmware on the older model of the focuser controller and added a temperature sensor to the stepper DB9 connector and i have tried all combinations of controllers and temp sensor i can and this has given some improvements, but still whenever i try to use a preset in INDI control panel or go to absolute in EKOS i'm getting the same result in that the driver crashes.

The results for what they're worth are below and may be useful as notes if anyone has similar hardware.

LakeSide Version 1 With Serial Connection, Firmware 1.0.3 With Internal Sensor.
Internal Sensor Disabled. External Sensor Powered and Enabled
Enable Backlash and Reverse Motion these give [ERROR] ReadBuffer: Read failed - Timeout error
Goto Preset - Driver Crash, had to terminate application

Lakeside Version 1 With Serial Connection, Firmware 1.0.3 With Internal Sensor
Internal Sensor Enabled. External Sensor Disabled
Enable Backlash and Reverse Motion these give [ERROR] ReadBuffer: Read failed - Timeout error

Re-Flashed Chip Installed to Latest Firmware 1.3.0

Lakeside Version 1 with Serial Connection, Firmware 1.3.0 With Internal Sensor.
Internal Sensor Enabled. External Sensor Disabled
Enable Backlash and Reverse Motion Both immediately turn green and enableing either now works

Lakeside Version 1 with Serial Connection, Firmware 1.3.0 With Internal Sensor.
Internal Sensor Disabled. External Sensor Powered and Enabled
Enable Backlash and Reverse Motion Both immediately turn green and enableing either now works

Version 1 of the focuser with Firmware 1.3.0 all options appear to set correctly with the exception of Deubug which enables then imediately disables. Not sure if that is meant to be like that and debug is meant to be controlled by INDI. In all cases moving to a preset from within the INDI control panel causes a driver crash which requires Kstars to be terminated. Firmware Version 1.0.3 has a lot of problems with options not setting correctly. Originally i was getting the error relating to temp not being polled and that was even with an internal sensor present and active, im guessing that installing an external sensor is the reason this error has gone away even though the external sensor isnt actually being used. From within EKOS step moves work and go to absolute position works sometimes ,but other times you get the Driver crash, same as using a preset from the INDI control panel.

Lakeside Version 2 with USB Connection, Firmware 1.3.0 With No Internal Sensor.
External Sensor Powered and Enabled
Go to Preset - Driver Crash, had to terminate application

Lakeside Version 2 with USB Connection, Firmware 1.3.0 With No Internal Sensor.
External Sensor Disabled
Go to Preset - Driver Crash, had to terminate application

Version 2 of the focuser with Firmware 1.3.0 all options appear to set correctly with the exception of Debug same as version 1. Go to presets result in same situation as version 1, but sometimes the INDI focusser tab closes and Kstars appear to carry on functioning, more often its a crash and terminate. Again the physical presence of an external sensor seems to make a big difference. Within EKOS the go to absolute crashed same as version 1.

I have tested as much as i can and unless i'm missing something obvious, then i cant get the focuser to work correctly or consistently.

Phil if you're happy to help with this then i can test either/both versions of the controller and temp sensor combinations.

Glen
4 years 4 months ago #45540

Glen,
I have never used a goto preset.... tbh, I don't see the point when INDI does a great job with the auto focusing....

I can take a look after I get back from holiday... just for completeness... but I strongly suggest you just try the auto focus routine.... even with a good stepper as the Lakeside, there is often sufficient slippage to allow for a number of steps difference each forward/backward motion.

If the basic movements / goto steps is not working the I may need to contact Peter to see what differences there are with the USB lakeside...

Phil
4 years 4 months ago #45541

Phil

thanks for that, i will use the auto focus and that was always my intention, the presets were about moving to the initial rough focus position then letting autofocus do its stuff , or parking the focuser at the end of the night. I can use the preset controls on the controller providing it is not connected to INDI but ideally id like to manage things within the application. If connected to INDI the controller behaves a bit erratically under manual mode. I only have my previous software (SkyX) to go by, so i'm uncertain how things should behave now , and can only go on how i think they should behave which may not of course be right.

when you're back form hols let me know when its convenient to take this further

Glen
4 years 4 months ago #45542

Glen,
Once connected to INDI, you should not put the hand controller back into manual mode.... the controller & INDI should be used either/or.... not together - that is one of the pieces of advice Peter gave me at the start & I should have made that clear in any documents....

I did not fully test the implemented preset modes via INDI as I never needed them.... typically, I have left the focuser at the last position.... then let the autofocuser handle things the next time.... my filters are not far from each other so is never a problem...

Phil
4 years 4 months ago #45543

I have found that the Lakeside Driver crashes if you specify an initial step size greater than 999

So essentially don't enter a large step in the Step box (shown as 0 in this picture) otherwise it crashes.

I am using KStars 3.4.0 on a Raspberry Pi4. The firmware version of the Lakeside controller is V1.3.0
4 years 1 month ago #49683
Attachments:

Time to create page: 2.482 seconds