INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI focuser driver for Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi / Rock Pi

• Thank you received: 7
I got the same step motor as yours, I had prepared your own configuration you can hear the sound of the motor but nothing turns. What parameters have you entered into Ekos?
3 years 3 weeks ago #69155

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorry I have not entered video.

3 years 3 weeks ago #69156
Attachments:

3 years 3 weeks ago #69157

• Thank you received: 182
If you can hear the motor humming and it is getting hot, then it is likely that your current limit is too high.

Is there a way to adjust the current limit?

Sorry, I am not using this HAT, but by now I have gained quite a bit of experience playing around with Arduinos and stepper motors and invariably when that happens I either 1) made a software error, or 2) have set the current limit too high and the motor just seizes up.

Read the section how to set the current limit on a DRV8825 here:

lastminuteengineers.com/drv8825-stepper-...er-arduino-tutorial/
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 3 weeks ago #69159

The stepper is a 10V 0.4 the same as Kross, same configuration, maybe on the HAT there is the possibility of decreasing the voltage?
3 years 3 weeks ago #69160

Just replied. Looks like the HAT is using a DRV8825, so setting the current limit is easy.

Read the section how to set the current limit on a DRV8825 here:

lastminuteengineers.com/drv8825-stepper-...er-arduino-tutorial/

Adjusting the current limit can be quite tricky.  Often the motor only likes to operate within a narrow window. 

If you don't have a voltmeter, you can also simply start with the potentiometer at the left-most position, then slowly turn clockwise until the motor starts running (obviously, it must receive an input signal). 
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 3 weeks ago #69161

I changed the voltage, now the motor is running but when I check the stepper movements everything stays still; can the Waveshare HAT logic be faulty?

3 years 3 weeks ago #69163
Attachments:

You changed the input voltage or you changed the current limit?

The DRV8825 works between 8.2-45 V, so the usual 12 V input should be just fine.

If you changed the input voltage (not current limit), the HAT may not like that, don't know. I would not mess with that.

How did you get the motor running? Simply setting STEP on the DRV8825 to HIGH or by inputting a long focus sequence via the driver?
3 years 3 weeks ago #69164

I see this pdf: www.waveshare.com/w/upload/b/b2/Stepper_...T_User_Manual_EN.pdf but the focus non running, is randomic.
I changed the voltage of M1 for stepper 10V.
The power supply for HAT is 12V 2A.

3 years 3 weeks ago #69165

• Thank you received: 1
I checked the current yesterday, factory setting was about 1.6A for both motor outputs. I reduced that to about 0.6A, the NEMA 14 that Kevin and I use has a nominal current of 0.4A.

The fact that mine does not turn may stem from the fact that the nENBL pin of the HAT is not connected to the Raspi pinheader, at least not to the one per the waveshare schematics. The DRV8825 disable voltage rises only to 0.8V which is likely not high enough to disable current and indexer. Without the WS hat connected to Raspi, the voltage on the Raspi pin reaches the correct 3.3V. I don't understand why this happens, anyway I ordered a new one and will see if it behaves correctly. I will report.
3 years 3 weeks ago #69172

• Thank you received: 102
Astrofilo66,

I can think of a few things that would cause the motor to make noise, but not turn.

1. Since this is a new motor, double check the wiring to make sure the motor phases are wired to the correct spots on the HAT.
2. Current limit set too low. The HAT usually comes preset at around a 1.5A limit, but you can't be sure. Unfortunately, adjusting the limit isn't the easiest, there's no obvious probe point on the board, I had to measure directly off of one of the pins of the driver chip while adjusting the potentiometer.
3. Defective motor. Unlikely, but possible.
4. Delay per step too low. Also not likely, because with no load on the motor, even a delay of 0 should still make it spin. But you can try setting a delay around 400 if you haven't already.
5. Defective HAT. Topdancer seems to have a defective board, so this seems to be a possibility.

BTW, you can't run two power supplies to the HAT. The barrel connector (I'm guessing this is where you plugged in the 12V power supply) and the screw terminal marked VIN (I'm guessing this is where you attached 10V power supply) are just connected together on the board. It's just providing two different ways to supply power to the board. Pick one. Don't attach a power supply to both.

I wouldn't bother with a 10V supply. I prefer to run everything off a single 12V supply. I wouldn't want to have a separate power supply just for the stepper motor.

That stepper has a phase resistance of 25 ohms, which means at 12V, it will draw .48 amps. That's a little over the rated 0.4A, but I wouldn't be too concerned about that, since we don't run the motor long enough for that to be a problem. If you're really worried about it, then set the current limit to 0.4A, but as noted, that's a bit fiddly.
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Kevin Ross.
3 years 3 weeks ago #69194

Kevin,
He's got his motor turning, look at his video. So the current limit and the wiring are fine. He now has difficulties controlling it with the driver.
I wonder whether by reducing the voltage to 10V, he now has an undervoltage problem on the side of the Pi, where the HAT no longer delivers the full 5V/3A the Pi4 requires.

I would also suggest to go back to 12V input. If the motor no longer runs and gets hot, the current limit is too high. In that case, I suggested to simply turn the pot to the lowest setting and increase the current until the motor turns reliably again and does not seize up or get too hot. No need to measure Vref.

The NEMA14 does not have to run at the full rating of 0.4A to work. The NEMA14s in my iOptronCEM25 only draw 0.16A in RA and 0.11A in DEC and still move the entire mount reliably without stuttering. It should be piece of cake for the focuser.
3 years 3 weeks ago #69196

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds