INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI focuser driver for Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi / Rock Pi

• Thank you received: 3
Wow... those are really cool.  I'm with you.  Nothing less will do now that I know/understand what they are.  I did find this on thingiverse, though I have no idea how good / applicable it is here:

www.thingiverse.com/thing:2776688
2 years 11 months ago #69471

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
My worm and ring gear are in fact Globoids generated with OpenSCAD. I am hesitant to share the original STL files at this time as everybody I have shown this to has encouraged me to market it. But I do encourage others to take inspiration from it. I'm honestly surprised I have not seen anyone else use this mechanism yet.
I used the following script to generate a custom set that I added features to in other 3D modeling software. www.thingiverse.com/thing:2776688
*But this is an updated version if the script that may be better.
www.thingiverse.com/thing:4197625
You will want to unhide the Customizer under the View Menu. And I had to scale down the gears it created to the right diameter.
2 years 11 months ago #69474

• Thank you received: 182
My latest creation, a NEMA17 short body stepper motor-driven autofocuser for my Explore Scientific 102. 
I prefer gears over belts, 
This design is easy to print and can be attached without any modifications to the telescope. 
The large gear fits directly on the fine focus knob and is held in place by three screws that lightly clamp it to the knob.  Rocksolid. 

Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Jose Corazon.
2 years 11 months ago #69611
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 9
I have the wave share PI hat running on astroberry.  I followed all the instructions for installing it.  I see the xml file indi wmh in the usr/share/indi directory.  I can not get it to show up when I edit the ekos profile for indi devices.  Any ideas??
Second, why isn't this distributed as paart of the indi library?

Thanks Bruce
2 years 10 months ago #71169

• Thank you received: 20
Check the permissions on the file.

Re why it isn't in the library, I have no idea. It's a terrific DIY solution, the driver Just Works and so does the Waveshare board. Heck, the board is cheaper than buying the parts to solder together a myFocuserPro, and you can be running 15 seconds after you open the package.
2 years 10 months ago #71170

The xml file has the same permissions as all the other files. I really like this board as well. Getting this installed in EKOS is difficult because my linux skills are weak... Any other thoughts??
2 years 10 months ago #71173

• Thank you received: 20
Restart KStars? That's about all I can think of, if the file is there, perms are OK, and it has Kevin's content, it ought to work. It's unlikely that the XML files live in a different folder, but you could try picking one of the other drivers that's in the Ekos distribution and searching for it everywhere in the file system with:

sudo find / -name name-of-file.xml

where "name-of-file" is the other driver filename, like indi_wmh_focuser.xml.

If you find the file in another place besides /usr/share/indi, you could copy indi_wmh_focuser.xml there too and see what you get. Beyond those two ideas...I got nothin', I'm afraid.
2 years 10 months ago #71182

• Thank you received: 102
Hmm, well that's odd. Sorry for asking a couple silly questions, but I need to get them out of the way. Did you restart KStars after installing the Waveshare driver? Are you running KStars on the Raspberry Pi, or on another computer over the network? If it's the latter, then you'll have to install the XML file on the remote computer as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Carleton
2 years 10 months ago #71183

Raspberry pi 4 running astrobery os locally.  I rebooted the whole computer.  Sorry for my lack of linux skills.  

I am really looking forward to using this hat!

thanks for the replies... Bruce
2 years 10 months ago #71184

Raspberry pi 4 running astrobery os locally.  I rebooted the whole computer.  Sorry for my lack of linux skills.  

I am really looking forward to using this hat!

thanks for the replies... Bruce
2 years 10 months ago #71185

I don't actually run Astroberry myself, but since it's free, and I have a spare micro SD card, I'm downloading it now. I'm going to try my own written instructions on a fresh Astroberry install, and see if it works. Give me an hour or two...
2 years 10 months ago #71186

Okay, found the problem. From a terminal, execute:
sudo mv /usr/local/bin/indi_wmh_focuser /usr/bin

You may need to reboot the Pi for it to take effect.

Let me know if that works for you.

-- Kevin
2 years 10 months ago #71189

Time to create page: 1.050 seconds