INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI focuser driver for Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi / Rock Pi

• Thank you received: 1
I went back to a backup with a 1.0 version of the wmh driver. This works as used some weeks ago. So hardware is working without issues. I updated this version to the 1.4 driver.

However, using this 1.4 driver I noticed some unexpected behavior. I want to get a better understanding of what happens, so I will come back to you probably tomorrow with more detailed info.

Kurt
2 years 9 months ago #72593

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
I played a bit with the driver today and I only noticed one issue: The "configuration" buttons did not work on my system. Accordingly I could not save a specific configuration. Is there any prerequisite for this?
2 years 9 months ago #72615

• Thank you received: 0
Hi...That presumably will not have an effect taking everything into account. It will simply be utilizing some convention over a USB association. In any case, it makes me keep thinking about whether I've deciphered the OP effectively. It is safe to say that you are explicitly searching for an INDI driver that controls focuser equipment that is straightforwardly associated? Or then again do you simply require an illustration of a focuser driver to use as a source of perspective or format that you can drop your own engine regulator code into?
2 years 9 months ago #72625

• Thank you received: 102
Kurt,

That is weird that yo can't save the configuration. I have not heard of anyone else having that problem. And in fact, my code doesn't do much, it mostly is the base INDI framework that does the saving and loading. Configuration is saved in the .indi folder in your home folder, along with all the other INDI driver config files. Maybe have a look there and see if there's anything strange going on there.
2 years 9 months ago #72644

• Thank you received: 226
So, I guess I had an oopsie. Looks like the saved driver config did not load one time I had it powered on for other tests and the motor ran hot. Gonna have to reprint it's housing.
The default mode seems to be to set the pin Low. Which on the original board is the powered on state.
2 years 9 months ago #72662

Try adding this to the /etc/rc.local file, before the exit 0 line:
# turn off the stepper motor
gpioset 0 12=1

That way, as soon as the Pi boots, it will turn off the motor.[/code]
2 years 9 months ago #72663

I took care of the motor running hot on system start already with the pull-up resistor.
I believe the pull-up resistor is an overall better solution because it saves the motor even when the Pi is shutdown but still connected to power.
This time I believe it was when the focus driver started with the default configuration, which for me I noted was to engage to motor on the Revision 1 board. As seen here.
www.indilib.org/forum/focusers-filter-wh...html?start=264#72252

I didn't catch it this time because I assumed it was all saved and loaded correctly. But I do recall my preset positions were empty. So I'm quite certain that is what happened.
2 years 9 months ago #72664

Ok. New information. It wasn't that the profile didn't load. I've noticed it will always engage the motor regardless the first time the indi driver is started after rebooting the system.
It didn't used to do that.
2 years 9 months ago #72667

Restore these lines of code to prevent lockup of the motor on the first run after system boot
Line 91  	DRV8825_SelectMotor(MOTOR1);
Line 92 	DRV8825_Stop();
2 years 9 months ago #72668

I'm sorry you had a (partial) meltdown. At least it was the 3D printed bracket and not the motor.

I removed those lines because, if someone used this driver with the new (current) board revision, it would actually turn the stepper motor on, for no good reason.

I just committed a change that will read the config file on startup, and if (and only if) it finds that the user has configured the board revision, it will turn off the stepper motor, based on board revision. If it doesn't find that the user has yet saved a configuration, it assumes the user hasn't yet configured the driver, and it will do nothing, so that we don't make things worse.

-- Kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Carleton
2 years 9 months ago #72674

• Thank you received: 16
Quick bit of useless info:

First, my setup is working flawlessly. THANK YOU!

Second, some programs (other than EKOS) don't load the configuraton by default (or at all) and may rely on a manual configuration load via the INDI Control Panel. CCDciel, for instance, will only load the config if the OPTIONAL "Load INDI config" in the setup profile is checked.

Just FYI...
2 years 9 months ago #72686

That's okay Jon, the driver loads the board configuration as soon as the driver starts up, even before any clients connect to it.
2 years 9 months ago #72696

Time to create page: 1.005 seconds