INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI focuser driver for Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi / Rock Pi

• Thank you received: 226
Looks good to me.

I also noted the first time I ran the driver the motor locked due to the new code for the board revision.
It was fine once the settings were saved.
2 years 10 months ago #72252

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Kevin

I am a bit lost with the changes you implemented in the past few weeks (I did not use my equipment since mid April due to bad weather). I updated the driver today, I got a version 1.4 displayed in the "General info" tab. If this is an outdated version please let me know.

The driver now behaves quite differently on my mount. At least, it does not move the focuser any longer regardless of the setting in "Board revision" (I was one of the two users you mentioned recently who had problems with the board: I had a 2.1 board initially, this did not work at that time, a new board without rev info did work).

My observations beside the fact that the focuser does not move:
   - If I set a relative position > 0 in Main Control tab, nothing happens
   - in Options tab none of the configuration buttons reacts
   - in Focuser module: if I set steps in Steps field it displays position depending on the setting in initial step size in mechanics

May be there are more observations. So, is my driver up to date or do I need to update again?

Thanks

Kurt

2 years 9 months ago #72554

• Thank you received: 102
That is indeed odd. Can you revert to the version you were using before?
2 years 9 months ago #72557

Possible explanations:
1. Step delay was reset to 0.
2. Save driver configuration at setting the new board revision option.
3. Motor is wired incorrectly/to wrong driver.
4. Burned out motor or controller if the coils were left powered due to revision changes.

Can you move the motor with Waveshare sample code?
2 years 9 months ago #72558

2 years 9 months ago #72560

2 years 9 months ago #72561

I went back to a backup with a 1.0 version of the wmh driver. This works as used some weeks ago. So hardware is working without issues. I updated this version to the 1.4 driver.

However, using this 1.4 driver I noticed some unexpected behavior. I want to get a better understanding of what happens, so I will come back to you probably tomorrow with more detailed info.

Kurt
2 years 9 months ago #72593

I played a bit with the driver today and I only noticed one issue: The "configuration" buttons did not work on my system. Accordingly I could not save a specific configuration. Is there any prerequisite for this?
2 years 9 months ago #72615

• Thank you received: 0
Hi...That presumably will not have an effect taking everything into account. It will simply be utilizing some convention over a USB association. In any case, it makes me keep thinking about whether I've deciphered the OP effectively. It is safe to say that you are explicitly searching for an INDI driver that controls focuser equipment that is straightforwardly associated? Or then again do you simply require an illustration of a focuser driver to use as a source of perspective or format that you can drop your own engine regulator code into?
2 years 9 months ago #72625

Kurt,

That is weird that yo can't save the configuration. I have not heard of anyone else having that problem. And in fact, my code doesn't do much, it mostly is the base INDI framework that does the saving and loading. Configuration is saved in the .indi folder in your home folder, along with all the other INDI driver config files. Maybe have a look there and see if there's anything strange going on there.
2 years 9 months ago #72644

So, I guess I had an oopsie. Looks like the saved driver config did not load one time I had it powered on for other tests and the motor ran hot. Gonna have to reprint it's housing.
The default mode seems to be to set the pin Low. Which on the original board is the powered on state.
2 years 9 months ago #72662

Try adding this to the /etc/rc.local file, before the exit 0 line:
# turn off the stepper motor
gpioset 0 12=1

That way, as soon as the Pi boots, it will turn off the motor.[/code]
2 years 9 months ago #72663

Time to create page: 0.979 seconds