INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI focuser driver for Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT for Raspberry Pi / Rock Pi

• Thank you received: 102
Now I see your pictures. Nice 3d printed brackets :)

My Pi does not have a cooling fan. I never have problems with it overheating. But I don't live in the desert, where it can be 100 degree F at midnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Glynn
2 years 1 month ago #81234

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
My INDI Waveshare focuser works great on the local RPI4. Have published camera, mount, gps, and Waveshare Focuser to INDI Webmanager. Trying to build remote profile via ethernet cable to notebook running Ubuntu 18.04LTS, Kstars/Ekos. Can see all RPI4 modules except for the Waveshare Focuser. Does the remote notebook need a Waveshare component loaded or should I be seeing it already?

Thanks

Bill

Super Polaris C8, Nikon D850, RPI4, Stellarmate OS, Waveshare Focusing Module, Waveshare hat and motor
1 year 9 months ago #84556

Yes, there's a file you need to install on the remote KStars machine so it knows about the focuser. Copy the "indi_wmh_focuser.xml" file to the remote computer. I think it's in /usr/share/indi (going from memory, I'm traveling right now)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Glynn
1 year 9 months ago #84563

My mistake Kevin. Just ran across your install documentation where you clearly spelled out how to do this. Sorry - Bill
1 year 8 months ago #84659

I recently purchased an ODROID-N2+ to replace my Rock Pi 4b, which replaced my Raspberry Pi 4. It's a speedy little guy!

I updated the Waveshare driver to support the ODROID-N2 and N2+, since they have a compatible 40-pin GPIO header.

Enjoy!
-- Kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
1 year 8 months ago #85383

• Thank you received: 226
I have a request.
Can you add seperate backlash settings for In and Out travels?
1 year 7 months ago #86077

I don't see why not. I'll try to get around to it this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Gentry
1 year 7 months ago #86100

1 year 7 months ago #86101

• Thank you received: 3
This is working great for me, but I am wondering how everyone is evaluating your backlash? Is there some way to do it easily? My though was to take images and measure how many steps before the FWHM changes in the guide module, but I am not sure if there is a more reliable way.
1 year 7 months ago #86136

I have two methods. For my RC I 3d printed a rudimentary dial indicator that magnified small movements. www.thingiverse.com/thing:4607036
I just had to also print a part that could hold in the focuser.

The other method uses my planetary camera and a star or artificial star. Start looping frames and the HFR graph will begin to populate with samples. It's then a matter of finding a backlash setting that returns to the same HFR after In-Out moves reliably.
1 year 7 months ago #86146

Hey,
I'm using a nema17 and a DRV8825 with a breakout board. I connected the pins to the rock pi according to the waveshare scheme. The driver works but when I run some steps the Motor doesn't move a bit, but it only makes a beeping sound like a mosquito (I tried small steps but also up to 10'000 steps). The beeping stops, when the steps are executed, so as far as I understand the enable pin works. I tried delay settings from 20 up to 1000 microseconds but nothing changed. At this point I'm not sure what I did wrong, is there another adjustment which I missed?
1 year 7 months ago #86219

You're the first to use a breakout board. I've been wanting to try that actually. So hopefully we can get this working :)

There are only 2 things that come to mind. One is the delay, which you already tried. Does the delay seem to be taking effect? Like if you set the delay to 200, and execute a 1000 step move, does it actually take a while to execute? It should take somewhere around 6 seconds in that case.

If we're sure the delay is functioning as intended, then I can only think that the motor coils are wired incorrectly to the breakout board. If you give me the exact motor you're using, and the breakout board you're using, I can have a look and double-check you wired it correctly.

-- Kevin
1 year 7 months ago #86220

Time to create page: 0.742 seconds