Incidentally Chris, when I run my gear on my Macbook Pro where I have Kstars 3.0.0 loaded, I get no serial time outs and the EKOS Moonlite controls work perfectly. I would use this for my imaging until the Moonlite issue with the latest Kstars is sorted but for some reason I can't get my QHY183M to work with Kstars 3.0.0...
The timeout errors are nothing to do with the change I made, that was a totally different part of the code.
I'm at a loss what to suggest. I can see some temperature reads working and some failing. Also some giving what looks like a good response but a temperature read error reported.
One thing that was mentioned to me when I was doing the ASCOM driver was that the read temperature command took 0.7 seconds to work. The INDI driver has never worried about this. IIRC the :C# command triggers a temperature read.
All that's left is some intermittent hardware issue or something esoteric such as a timing problem where your particular version of the MoonLite hardware has a problem if commands are very close together. I'll have another look but if my hardware doesn't show the problem all I can do is make changes and send them to you to test.
Chris - following on from Dustspeakers posts to this thread, I checked the status of the FTDIUSBSerialDriver extension on my iMac- it is there but has not been loaded. I downloaded the earlier version and replaced the newer one just as Dustspeakers did but I cannot get it to load either - probably due to my lack of knowledge of terminal commands and kext files. Could the non-loaded status of this extension be causing the problem?
Just to cause even more confusion - my Mac book pro where I have Kstars 3.0.0 and the Moonlite working perfectly (same OS Update as my Imac), the FTDIUSBSerialDriver does not show anywhere as an extension or a file - did KStars change to this driver at some stage?
I had a few fun and games installing the older driver, and from memory it went like this.
Firstly remove the newer driver:
# cd /Library/Extensions
# rm -rf FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
...and reboot. Verify after reboot that NO FTDI driver is installed with SystemReport -> Extensions.
Now install the older (unsupported) driver, version 2.3, using the procedure described here after installation, from direct.ilink.de/en/usb.html and screenshotted below. This procedure is for a different driver but the instructions are still the same. Note that you do not get this option with the newer FTDI driver, it just fails to load silently
...and reboot when installed. And using SystemReport -> Extensions, you should see the loaded driver, or that worked for me anyway, on Catalina 10.15.3 on my iMac and my MacBook Pro
Last Modified: 02/03/2015, 15:37
Bundle ID: com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver
Obtained from: Identified Developer
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Kext Version: 2.3
Load Address: 18446743521889628000
Signed by: Developer ID Application: Future Technology Devices International Limited (658CPPCMJJ), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA
Well I did all that - FTDI 2.3 is installed but it will not load - I don't get any prompts to authorise it as those instructions showed. Not quite sure what to do now and how to get the driver to load. Did the older driver stop the serial timeout errors you were getting?
Restarted my iMac again and this time I got the prompt to allow the extension to load. Ran KStars, the Moonlite is no longer giving serial errors and seems to be functioning normally. Thanks very much for your help. Now I just need a clear night to try it on some stars....
Hi Chris - I have just done some more checking. Although the older version of the FTDI driver has stopped the serial time out errors, the focuser is still behaving strangely. It seems to only want to focus inwards regardless of using the focus in or out buttons on EKOS. I need to get it outside and try the autofocus module and see what happens. Here is the log from my last run - as you can see there are still positioning errors and temperature errors, but no timeout errors.
That is version 3.4.0 which we already know has problems.
You mentioned that version 3.0.0 doesn't have problems and I would like to see a log showing what that gives.
Can you please attach the log file rather than copy and paste.
Is it possible to relate these ekos version numbers to the indi GIT numbers so we can correlate the data in log files to the code? I can see that 3.4.0 was built on the 27th January but don't know when the working 3.0.0 version was built.
Kstars seems to be reporting an error with both the focuser position and the focuser temperature but both of these seem to be returning valid values and in the case of the position kstars then reports the position correctly. The temperature value 0x27 corresponds to a temperature of 19.5 C which seems reasonable.
The position is reported as 30310, this is what the hardware has been reporting for some time, and a command to focus out by 100 steps is sent.
All the commands to the hardware seem to have succeeded and a command to move to 30410 is sent, but the focuser starts moving in.
This looks to me like a problem with communicating with the hardware, maybe the position sent by the :SN command has been corrupted.