INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focus difficulties with ZWO EAF

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I've been working out autofocus with my ZWO EAF + ZWO ASI183GT + TS 76EDPH scope but I am having some issues.

1. Algorithm: I have tried many combinations. Autoselect start and subframe works fast using SEP and iterative and works well while I am paying attention and manually start from a good rough focus but left alone during an automated sequence it fails. Full field seems to work better when left alone with a step of 25 if focus is close to correct but sometimes it goes off in the wrong direction, loses focus then fails to detect stars (because of going completely out of focus) and it aborts the sequence. Any suggestions as to what algorithm, initial step size, etc.?

2. While watching the curve it looks like the focuser moves further going back than going in. I suspect because the motor has to work against gravity. Will adding some steps to the backlash option help with this?

3. During a sequence the measured HFR with a 5% threshold triggers the autofocus every single frame captured. Should I increase the threshold or there is something else than I am missing? I would like for the autofocus to check every frame for focus but only trigger a focus routine when appropriate and not every time.

4. I have tried to determine an offset for each filter so that I only need to focus using the luminance filter but the values measured for the steps are different every time I run an autofocus sequence. Even for the same filter it will have a different reading every time I perform autofocus. So I can't establish a consistent offset. Is there any work around for this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
3 years 6 months ago #61584

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31

Shinken,

I cannot be certain, but this may be due to the same issue I have been looking into in the link below. The autofocus chooses a star and creates a subframe around it but then sometimes uses another star in the subframe to perform the autofocus on, which can fail. If you are not watching it happen you just find it has lost focus.

Autofocus changing to another star to perform the autofocus

Paul
3 years 6 months ago #61654

• Thank you received: 0
No. I don't think is that but thank you.

After a month of trying INDI/KSTARS/EKOS I think I will move back to the Windows platform. Too many nights trying to make the focus work, the guider work, the sequence to work after already having spend a couple weeks getting the OS loaded and running for someone not familiar with Linux. I find the options in the interface not clear for a new user with not enough knowledge about astronomy and the documentation limited. Too much time and not getting where I want to be which is capturing images without glitches at least most of the time. A bit sad because I really like the idea of using my Raspberry Pi and it simplifies cable management.
3 years 6 months ago #61677

• Thank you received: 4

We all have been there - at the beginning of a long but rewarding journey. Give yourself some time and come back if you like to.

Clear skies!