INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Sesto Senso 2 - Speed, Current & Hold Settings

• Thank you received: 5
I've managed to save into the custom preset slots using the Windows Focuser Manager 1.3 and the Virtual HandPad web app as well as through the INDI driver code. However, irrespective of the client used, actually loading/applying one of the custom presets always fails for me with:
{"res":{"cmd":{"RUNPRESET":"Error: empty preset"}}}

I checked this in the Virtual HandPad web app by setting a breakpoint where the JSON command is sent to the REST endpoint. The same error result is seen in this as when using the serial interface.

I'm hoping to hear back this week, but if it takes any longer I'll just create a pull request without the custom preset functionality since it actually achieves what I needed and perhaps I can add it later once a firmware fix is available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giles
3 years 2 months ago #65411

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69

I've been working with just modifying the loadSlowPreset in sestosenso2.cpp to load the Esprit profile I created in the Web App, and checking again after loading. It appears to either have not loaded the slow preset and kept the functionality that was previously set by the Web App, or it actually reloaded the Esprit profile.

I was wondering, what hold current are you using on the Esprit, I set mine to 3, but not had enough chances to work out whether it's an improvement (it's the only setting I've actually used to focus with since I got the Esprit). In any case, focusing is working very well, I'm getting a good gradient curve for focus operations and I have not noticed any slippage - I probably need to run some dry tests with the OTA mounted indoors.
3 years 2 months ago #65412

Yep. You can apply any of the three built-in presets, but none of the custom ones will apply successfully. In this case the motor settings are just whatever you last applied via the web app.

I've tried with a hold setting around 3, but haven't had much chance to experiment since I completed the code. However, it'll only really make a difference if you're shooting up towards the zenith, generally I didn't have too many issues until I started trying to target objects high in the sky - only then did slippage become an issue.
3 years 2 months ago #65421

Just a guess, but it might be that the SestoSenso 2 might not have a command to set the settings for an existing user preset, and just has memory space to store the values and that you need to just load the values and then set them one by one.
3 years 2 months ago #65424

I've seen the recent commits in github, so checked them out. That looks like a great improvement!

I don't think I, personally, would have any need to use more than one User Preset, but others with multiple imaging trains etc... might find it useful.

I gave it a quick test, and it all appeared to function error free. Although won't really know until we have a clear sky (coming up three weeks of constant cloud here).
3 years 2 months ago #65760

I've just submitted a new pull request with a simple workaround that allows custom motor settings to be saved and loaded (despite the firmware bug).

github.com/indilib/indi/pull/1319

With that in, I think the driver is just about functionally complete. If you run into anything just let me know and I'll take a look!

Cheers,
Will.
3 years 2 months ago #65779

I will, that should probably close the issue I funded, which is not much, but there it was meant as a couple of beers for doing the work.
Let us know if you need me to push the issue to be closed in your ID or anything.
Once the PR is merged I will run some dry tests and comment on the issue for closure.
3 years 2 months ago #65793

Noticed the pull request has been merged this morning. So did a pull locally and re-compiled.

Can confirm all the settings are being loaded and stored into the User Presets - verified with the wifi web app. Good work!
3 years 2 months ago #65836

• Thank you received: 18
I am running into exactly this issue. It looks like you guys have created a solution. I am not a software expert, so a commit does not mean a lot to me. Can you give any advice how I should apply your workaround?
Thanks so much.

Willem Jan.
3 years 1 month ago #67279

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds