×
INDI Library v1.8.8 Released (09 Jan 2021)

Here are the changes from v1.8.7 to v1.8.8

Celestron focus motor

2 months 1 day ago 2 months 1 day ago by mhammady.
mhammady
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 196
More
Topic Author
Celestron focus motor #63369
Hello

Anyone has experience with the celestron focus motor with C8SE OAT?

I was in the process of building my own myfocuserPro2 till some friend advised I should try the celestron focuser motor.

Of course I’d appreciate confirmation that indi/Ekos support the focuser through celestron driver.

Thank you
Mohamed

- Mohamed

Celestron 8SE, Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount, Raspberry Pi 4 Kstars-Ekos-Indi server, MyFocuserPro2
ZWO OAG with ASI120MM Mini (mono) guide, ZWO ASI183MM Pro, Canon 600D T3i, ZWO EFW (LRGBHaS2O3), Celestron f/6.3 reducer

telescopius.com/profile/mhammady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago
Gonzo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 23
More
Celestron focus motor #63373
I run one on my C6 OTA which rides on an HEQ5 mount. The Celestron focuser is supported by indi and has worked flawlessly.

One note is that I had to do the initial calibration using the windows app because triggering the calibration routine via the indi driver would result in a crash. The calibration is stored in the focuser, so you only have to do it once. The indi driver will read the calibration values stored in the focuser after that.

SkyWatcher HEQ5 > Pegasus Pocket Powerbox > Celestron Nexstar 6se OTA w/ f/6.3 FR > Nikon Z6 imaging camera > Agena StarGuider 50mm guide scope > ZWO ASI290MM Mini guide camera
The following user(s) said Thank You mhammady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago
mhammady
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 196
More
Topic Author
Celestron focus motor #63374

Gonzo wrote: I run one on my C6 OTA which rides on an HEQ5 mount. The Celestron focuser is supported by indi and has worked flawlessly.

One note is that I had to do the initial calibration using the windows app because triggering the calibration routine via the indi driver would result in a crash. The calibration is stored in the focuser, so you only have to do it once. The indi driver will read the calibration values stored in the focuser after that.


Thank you gonzo, how do you evaluate autofocus with ekos and what method you are using?


Thank you
Mohamed

- Mohamed

Celestron 8SE, Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount, Raspberry Pi 4 Kstars-Ekos-Indi server, MyFocuserPro2
ZWO OAG with ASI120MM Mini (mono) guide, ZWO ASI183MM Pro, Canon 600D T3i, ZWO EFW (LRGBHaS2O3), Celestron f/6.3 reducer

telescopius.com/profile/mhammady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago
dmsummers
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 299
Karma: 3
More
Celestron focus motor #63375
If you don't already have the focuser, it might be wise to consider how much resolution you need/want for your setup. The Celestron focuser has 1000 steps per revolution. The ASI and Pegasus focusers (for example) have 5K+ steps/revolution. You might not need the extra steps for an F10 setup but it's something to consider. Cheers...

RASA11, Celestron CGX-L, ASI183mc Pro, 60mm guider + ASI290mm mini, ASI EAF focuser, PPB, Rpi4-4Gb+SSD, Powered USB3 hub, hardwire Ethernet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago
mhammady
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 196
More
Topic Author
Celestron focus motor #63377

dmsummers wrote: If you don't already have the focuser, it might be wise to consider how much resolution you need/want for your setup. The Celestron focuser has 1000 steps per revolution. The ASI and Pegasus focusers (for example) have 5K+ steps/revolution. You might not need the extra steps for an F10 setup but it's something to consider. Cheers...


Thank you dmaummers. Definitely focusing resolution is something to highly consider and many thanks for highlighting this. Can I assume that the myFocuserPro 2 DIY focuser have the same specifications?


Thank you
Mohamed

- Mohamed

Celestron 8SE, Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount, Raspberry Pi 4 Kstars-Ekos-Indi server, MyFocuserPro2
ZWO OAG with ASI120MM Mini (mono) guide, ZWO ASI183MM Pro, Canon 600D T3i, ZWO EFW (LRGBHaS2O3), Celestron f/6.3 reducer

telescopius.com/profile/mhammady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago
Bart
Premium Member
Premium Member
Posts: 93
More
Celestron focus motor #63378
Hi mate,
I have 3D printed a focus motor attachment & coupler for my C8.
I've shared a photo of my setup before here, I guess you can find it there.
What I like is that it still has a (big!) handwheel.

Would you like to have the design?
It uses a direct drive very flat Nema 17 stepper motor and the SilentStepper drivers (TMC2130) on a breadboard still.

Works flawlessly and runs absolutely smooth. I have attached a temp sensor and configured it to play well with the Moonlite protocol.

Cheers!
Bart

15 cm wavefront condensor | Earth rotation undo-er | Few photon discriminator plates | Photons to electrons transmogrifier | Stellarmate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago
mhammady
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 196
More
Topic Author
Celestron focus motor #63379

Bart wrote: Hi mate,
I have 3D printed a focus motor attachment & coupler for my C8.
I've shared a photo of my setup before here, I guess you can find it there.
What I like is that it still has a (big!) handwheel.

Would you like to have the design?
It uses a direct drive very flat Nema 17 stepper motor and the SilentStepper drivers (TMC2130) on a breadboard still.

Works flawlessly and runs absolutely smooth. I have attached a temp sensor and configured it to play well with the Moonlite protocol.

Cheers!
Bart


Hi Bart, thank you and would appreciate if you can share your 3D designs. I’m in the process of building mine.

One more thing is that your motor is much lighter and smaller (as I can tell from pictures) from the one I got, can you please also share your hardware specs as well?


Thank you
Mohamed

- Mohamed

Celestron 8SE, Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount, Raspberry Pi 4 Kstars-Ekos-Indi server, MyFocuserPro2
ZWO OAG with ASI120MM Mini (mono) guide, ZWO ASI183MM Pro, Canon 600D T3i, ZWO EFW (LRGBHaS2O3), Celestron f/6.3 reducer

telescopius.com/profile/mhammady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago
Gonzo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 23
More
Celestron focus motor #63384
I use the autofocus routine in the Ekos focus module and it works well. I stuck with the default detection setting of gradient and the default algorithm of iterative. It tried the relatively new linear algorithm outlined in this link, but I never got it to achieve focus correctly: knro.blogspot.com/2020/02/kstars-v340-is-released.html

To be fair, I tried it once and just haven't had an opportunity to go back to it and troubleshoot. The default settings have been good enough for me since my attention has been on tweaking other areas of the setup. I'm pretty happy with my configuration so far, so it might be a good time to play with the linear algorithm again.

SkyWatcher HEQ5 > Pegasus Pocket Powerbox > Celestron Nexstar 6se OTA w/ f/6.3 FR > Nikon Z6 imaging camera > Agena StarGuider 50mm guide scope > ZWO ASI290MM Mini guide camera

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago 2 months 1 day ago by El Corazon.
El Corazon
Supernova Explorer
Supernova Explorer
Posts: 1034
Karma: 3
More
Celestron focus motor #63385

mhammady wrote:

Bart wrote: Hi mate,
I have 3D printed a focus motor attachment & coupler for my C8.
I've shared a photo of my setup before here, I guess you can find it there.
What I like is that it still has a (big!) handwheel.

Would you like to have the design?
It uses a direct drive very flat Nema 17 stepper motor and the SilentStepper drivers (TMC2130) on a breadboard still.

Works flawlessly and runs absolutely smooth. I have attached a temp sensor and configured it to play well with the Moonlite protocol.

Cheers!
Bart



Hi Bart, thank you and would appreciate if you can share your 3D designs. I’m in the process of building mine.

One more thing is that your motor is much lighter and smaller (as I can tell from pictures) from the one I got, can you please also share your hardware specs as well?


Thank you
Mohamed



I use the MyFocuserPro, not the MyFocuserPro2 IDE, but assume much of it is interchangeable. The cranking power of a regular NEMA17 is plenty to lift a truck attached to a camera (figuratively speaking). A NEMA14 should be plenty. You can drive both from a DRV8825 stepper controller.

The beauty of building your own focuser is that once you have done it once, adapting it to another telescope is easy.

Also, with a DRV8825 you will have a stepper resolution of 6400 steps/rev, i.e. ~ 0.05 degrees, which more than likely is far better than the mechanical tolerance of your focuser.

All I can say is, I built one based on the MyFocuserPro (not 2) instructions and the result could not possibly (repeat; possibly!!) be better.

Jo

PS: Looks like Bart is using a slim version of the NEMA17 ( smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PNEQ79Q/r..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I have that as well, but have not implemented it yet. Should work fine, though, I assume.

Atlas Pro AZ-EQ, ASI1600MM-Pro, ASI120MM-S, ES102ED, WO-Z61, Nikon D3300, ASI-EFW, ZWO LRGB,Ha,O3,S2 filter set

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 23 hours ago
mhammady
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 196
More
Topic Author
Celestron focus motor #63387

El Corazon wrote:

mhammady wrote:

Bart wrote: Hi mate,
I have 3D printed a focus motor attachment & coupler for my C8.
I've shared a photo of my setup before here, I guess you can find it there.
What I like is that it still has a (big!) handwheel.

Would you like to have the design?
It uses a direct drive very flat Nema 17 stepper motor and the SilentStepper drivers (TMC2130) on a breadboard still.

Works flawlessly and runs absolutely smooth. I have attached a temp sensor and configured it to play well with the Moonlite protocol.

Cheers!
Bart



Hi Bart, thank you and would appreciate if you can share your 3D designs. I’m in the process of building mine.

One more thing is that your motor is much lighter and smaller (as I can tell from pictures) from the one I got, can you please also share your hardware specs as well?


Thank you
Mohamed



I use the MyFocuserPro, not the MyFocuserPro2 IDE, but assume much of it is interchangeable. The cranking power of a regular NEMA17 is plenty to lift a truck attached to a camera (figuratively speaking). A NEMA14 should be plenty. You can drive both from a DRV8825 stepper controller.

The beauty of building your own focuser is that once you have done it once, adapting it to another telescope is easy.

Also, with a DRV8825 you will have a stepper resolution of 6400 steps/rev, i.e. ~ 0.05 degrees, which more than likely is far better than the mechanical tolerance of your focuser.

All I can say is, I built one based on the MyFocuserPro (not 2) instructions and the result could not possibly (repeat; possibly!!) be better.

Jo

PS: Looks like Bart is using a slim version of the NEMA17 ( smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PNEQ79Q/r..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I have that as well, but have not implemented it yet. Should work fine, though, I assume.


Thank you Jo, what confuses me a little is that the specs of the motor you mentioned in Amazon is “This is Short Height Bipolar Nema 17 stepper motor with 1.8 deg. step angle (200 steps/revolution). “

Is this specs still capable of 0.05 degree/step?

I would prefer using a lighter motor as the one I got is much heavier...


Thank you
Mohamed

- Mohamed

Celestron 8SE, Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount, Raspberry Pi 4 Kstars-Ekos-Indi server, MyFocuserPro2
ZWO OAG with ASI120MM Mini (mono) guide, ZWO ASI183MM Pro, Canon 600D T3i, ZWO EFW (LRGBHaS2O3), Celestron f/6.3 reducer

telescopius.com/profile/mhammady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 22 hours ago
El Corazon
Supernova Explorer
Supernova Explorer
Posts: 1034
Karma: 3
More
Celestron focus motor #63388

mhammady wrote:

El Corazon wrote:

mhammady wrote:

Bart wrote: Hi mate,
I have 3D printed a focus motor attachment & coupler for my C8.
I've shared a photo of my setup before here, I guess you can find it there.
What I like is that it still has a (big!) handwheel.

Would you like to have the design?
It uses a direct drive very flat Nema 17 stepper motor and the SilentStepper drivers (TMC2130) on a breadboard still.

Works flawlessly and runs absolutely smooth. I have attached a temp sensor and configured it to play well with the Moonlite protocol.

Cheers!
Bart



Hi Bart, thank you and would appreciate if you can share your 3D designs. I’m in the process of building mine.

One more thing is that your motor is much lighter and smaller (as I can tell from pictures) from the one I got, can you please also share your hardware specs as well?


Thank you
Mohamed



I use the MyFocuserPro, not the MyFocuserPro2 IDE, but assume much of it is interchangeable. The cranking power of a regular NEMA17 is plenty to lift a truck attached to a camera (figuratively speaking). A NEMA14 should be plenty. You can drive both from a DRV8825 stepper controller.

The beauty of building your own focuser is that once you have done it once, adapting it to another telescope is easy.

Also, with a DRV8825 you will have a stepper resolution of 6400 steps/rev, i.e. ~ 0.05 degrees, which more than likely is far better than the mechanical tolerance of your focuser.

All I can say is, I built one based on the MyFocuserPro (not 2) instructions and the result could not possibly (repeat; possibly!!) be better.

Jo

PS: Looks like Bart is using a slim version of the NEMA17 ( smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PNEQ79Q/r..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I have that as well, but have not implemented it yet. Should work fine, though, I assume.


Thank you Jo, what confuses me a little is that the specs of the motor you mentioned in Amazon is “This is Short Height Bipolar Nema 17 stepper motor with 1.8 deg. step angle (200 steps/revolution). “

Is this specs still capable of 0.05 degree/step?

I would prefer using a lighter motor as the one I got is much heavier...


Thank you
Mohamed



The DRV8825 stepper controller allows you to select microstepping down to 1/32, i.e. 32x200=6400 steps/rev. In fact, you can use any microstepping mode in 2x intervals.
I am using my NEMA17 at 1/32 microstepping and the resolution is far better than required for my telescope, so you can try out how much resolution you require.

Atlas Pro AZ-EQ, ASI1600MM-Pro, ASI120MM-S, ES102ED, WO-Z61, Nikon D3300, ASI-EFW, ZWO LRGB,Ha,O3,S2 filter set

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 22 hours ago 2 months 22 hours ago by mhammady.
mhammady
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 196
More
Topic Author
Celestron focus motor #63389

El Corazon wrote: The DRV8825 stepper controller allows you to select microstepping down to 1/32, i.e. 32x200=6400 steps/rev. In fact, you can use any microstepping mode in 2x intervals.
I am using my NEMA17 at 1/32 microstepping and the resolution is far better than required for my telescope, so you can try out how much resolution you require.


Thanks Jo for explanation. Is this settings from the driver interface or the Nano code?


Thank you
Mohamed

- Mohamed

Celestron 8SE, Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount, Raspberry Pi 4 Kstars-Ekos-Indi server, MyFocuserPro2
ZWO OAG with ASI120MM Mini (mono) guide, ZWO ASI183MM Pro, Canon 600D T3i, ZWO EFW (LRGBHaS2O3), Celestron f/6.3 reducer

telescopius.com/profile/mhammady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds