INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

GRBL as autofocuser

• Thank you received: 25

GRBL as autofocuser was created by Mohamed

Hello

While building my own MyFocuserPro2 project, I stumbled with the GRBL github.com/grbl/grbl that is used for 3D printing hardware (at least some of them). I really liked it as we can control it and test it simply by comm port commands, and its hardware and pre-printed PCBs are available everywhere for a very competitive price.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use one axis as an auto focuser with INDI/ASCOM?
3 years 4 months ago #63836

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic GRBL as autofocuser

Don't know, but the MyFocuserPro is very simple to assemble, you won't need a PCB.

Just use these connectors: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ48T2V/ref..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Solderable Breadboard: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCPRZ81/ref...le_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and connection wires: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78/ref..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is really just a matter of plugging the few parts together after that. Too simple even to justify a PCB.
3 years 4 months ago #63889

Replied by Mohamed on topic GRBL as autofocuser

The reason is that the solderless option for me was too big and in spite of getting it to work, I don't feel comfortable depending on it for production during sessions. A loose wire can ruin the night. So, I ordered some PCBs to solder the components, but the small cheap components are too much to get from one source and I found myself spiraling trying to get capacitors and diodes from here and there. Then, I found this simple board that works and looks nice with minimal effort, so, I thought All that I need is a driver/interface with INDI/ASCOM to start using it.

How did you get the other components? from a single source? I tried Amazon, and I found I need to buy many "kits" for capacitors and diodes I may never use again...
3 years 4 months ago #63893

If you just want a barebones focuser without frills, use MyFocuserPro, NOT the MyFocuserPro2. Use the instructions for the "solderless" assembly. I also soldered my parts on a solderable breadboard. You won't need the OLED, you won't need the directional diodes, you won't even need the temperature probe, although that is very useful. Just the Arduino Nano, the DRV8825 control board (which contains the sole capacitor you need), the DRV8825 controller and the stepper motor. If you don't like the jumper wires, you can just solder them in place instead.
And yes, I got it all from Amazon.
I also considered the PCB option, but did not pursue it for the same reasons you mention: Too complicated.
Size of the box I put the parts in was not a concern for me, as I do not like to mount it on the telescope anyway. I just put it on one of the legs of the tripod and run the sole cable for the stepper up to the telescope.
3 years 4 months ago #63894

Hi Jose,

I will follow your advise and wire the components to a generic PCB. In the meantime, I will continue to explore the CNC hardware as i may need solution to control 2 motors at the same time for remote polar alignment. HEQ5 knobs are not sensitive enough
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Mohamed.
3 years 4 months ago #63931

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by Alex Varakin on topic GRBL as autofocuser

You would have to write an INDI driver to translate focusing commands to G code. Possible but I think not worth it.
There is a much simpler option for focuser hardware, available for MyFocuserPro:
Arduino Uno + Motor Shield + NEMA 17 motor.
Motor Shield just plugs into the Arduino board, no soldering whatsoever and very compact.
There are even project boxes available for this combo.
I built several focusers using this approach, they all work very well.
3 years 4 months ago #63944

Arduino Uno plus motor shield is significantly larger than an Arduino Nano plus DRV8825 control board. No need to use an Uno, the MyFocuserPro works great with a Nano/DRV8825 combination.
If you really want to save space, you can probably run it on a Seeduino XIAO, but bear in mind that that is not 5V tolerant so no guarantees. But I may put together one to check, just for fun.
3 years 4 months ago #63945

Thank you Alex. Can you please point me to documentation about using the Arduino UNO board? I like the idea of using preexisting boards.

The MyFocuserPro/2 I think only using Arduino Nano.
3 years 4 months ago #63953

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by Alex Varakin on topic GRBL as autofocuser

Here is the project documentation for the focuser which supports this combination:
sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscon...files/Documentation/
You need to find this option: "L293D Shield + UNO"
3 years 4 months ago #63954

IMO, since electronics is just a hobby and I don't plan to dig deeper (as long as I don't have to), and the plug and play logic is more appealing to me. From my online reading in the last few days, I know that the same results can be achieved y many other boards, controllers, shields, ... etc, so i prefer to stick to one solution that will be easier to assemble and take it from there...
3 years 4 months ago #63956

The MyFocuserPro is designed for an Uno, but it works great with the much smaller Nano as well.
3 years 4 months ago #63958

Whatever works in the end, of course. There are many ways to the goal here. All I am saying is, it is really not hard putting the different parts together. I don't know the motor shield for the Uno, so no idea whether there are any other problems lurking downstream. I just know what works very easily for the Nano. And since you wrote that you got that working already, it is now down to the challenge to stuff it all into a box. Just the last step and you are there.
3 years 4 months ago #63959

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds