INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Forum layout

• Thank you received: 109

Forum layout was created by Jim

Greetings all

I have been having a side conversation with Jasem about some of the forum layout. One thing that I have noticed is some pretty important sticky posts are lost because the board allows posting to top level categories. This forum software calls every section a category, so we have top-level categories like "General" and sub-categories like "Mounts" and "Ekos".

The top level category, "General" is also a category that can be posted to, but it doesn't show up easily. As an example, try this:

1. In the top left navigation, click on "Index"
2. Click "General" or select "General" from the drop down box. Either will take you to the same place

What you will see are the sub-categories unless you have a huge monitor or really tiny scaling. Scroll down past the sub-categories and you will find the postings made under "General", including some very handy sticky posts.

One idea I have to bring these the sticky posts more front and center, would be to make the General category not be post-able, and instead make a new sub-category like "Getting Started" under General. It looks like the forum software allows us to then move the sub-category "Getting Started" to the top of the list.

Linking to any helpful posts in the new "Forum Users" category "Welcome to the INDI forum" sticky post would be the next step. The linking can be done without changing the layout of General as well.

I am looking for any feedback.

Thank you,
Jim
3 years 4 months ago #63075

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds