INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to use RA and DEC coordinates properly

• Thank you received: 2
Hi, hopefully a very basic question

I'm trying to shot IC1396 the Elephant's Trunk but with my FOV (1,500mm and ZWO ASI 1600) I need to be more accurate on pointing than simply entering IC1906 and slewing. 

I see I can go to the "Pointing" menu and "Enter coordinates manually", do I then jump straight to plate solving and say go or is there something else I need to do to make the scope slew specifically there and solve?

Thanks

James
2 years 6 months ago #76131

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 565
I use a keyboard shortcut to do this: settings -> configure keyboard shortcuts, type in "slew the telescope" click on the item, click on "None" and I type control-L which overrides another shortcut, you can pick what key you like.

When that's set up, I use the skymap to find the spot I want centered in my frame. Sometimes I enable HIPS mode to make this easier to do (view menu, bottom item, then use DSS Colored)--this will slow you down, so you'll want to disable this later.

Then I click on the spot, leave the mouse there, and type control-L.

The mount should slew to near that spot (given the accuracy of your mount slews), and then I click on "Capture and Solve" in the align page, to accurately plate-solve to there.

Of course, you need to be running Ekos and the mount needs to be unparked.
2 years 6 months ago #76139

Many thanks indeed for the detailed explanation, I will give that a try
2 years 6 months ago #76150

I tried this tonight and it's perfect, exactly what I needed - thank you very much
2 years 6 months ago #76224

Time to create page: 0.740 seconds