INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Another "Build Experience" Story - Ubuntu 20.04LTS

• Thank you received: 31
I ended up starting all over again, with a clean install of Ubuntu Mate (available from the main Ubuntu Mate web site). This time I used Rob Lancaster's installation/setup script: github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3/blob/master/setupUbuntuSBC.sh

There is nothing at all wrong with Damian's walkthrough (and I still needed to redirect gpsd to the correct place). But I noticed that Rob's script includes configuring network manager to put up a hotspot if none of its known networks are available, and it configures the ethernet interface for direct connection to a pc. You could set up Damian's way and then just follow along the commands in the script as well. I have not tried using the 2nd wlan adapter yet, will cross that bridge eventually.

The script installs x11vnc. It works, but is disappointingly slow and clunky. I've been spoiled by VNC Connect on the Pi, but not so spoiled that I want to pay $4/month. I may try another vnc option or just go back to NoMachine.

Mate gives me a layout I am happier with, including a Windows-style quick-switch tabs bar. I also spent a while going through every KStars option panel (I think - I probably still missed some) and learned you can add a Toggle Mount Control to the main KStars tool bar. Which is good, because I still don't have a minimize widget on Mount Control (even using the PC directly with monitor connected). I wonder if that is a recent KStars change. I also added a Toggle Mount Tracking button, for those times when I have balanced a light panel on top of the tube and don't want the mount to rotate.
1 year 7 months ago #85089

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All appears to be working with my Ubuntu 22.04 LTS install.

As for x11vnc, when I complained about slow and clunky I was still setting up and had a monitor physically plugged in to the mini-pc and another monitor for the computer that was logged in with vnc reader. Not sure if that was actually slowing things down - I also disabled the Conky system monitor that the rlancaste script installs (found it annoying), and I am now happy with the responsiveness using x11vnc.

I have both wifi adapters running, with the external adapter connecting to the home wifi and the internal putting up a hotspot. Both work well, and the range for the internal wifi hotspot is a refreshing change from the internal Pi wifi.

Decided to remove the 'tracking on/off' toggle from the tool bar - there's no confirmation dialog box (unlike when you turn tracking off in the Mount tab), and the added convenience isn't worth the risk of an accidental click. Still no minimize widget for Mount Control, and last night PHD2's 'Review calibration data' panel came up with no widgets at all. I couldn't close it or move it to the back, so I just dragged it nearly off screen and continued on.
1 year 7 months ago #85210

• Thank you received: 9
Thanks for the updates Ron. It's certainly interesting to see your progress.

I have a spare M2 drive for the PC so I think I may go with another linux flavour and test, without making changes to the Ubuntu drive.
1 year 7 months ago #85267

A couple of updates.

Sometimes all or parts of a KStars update are "held back". The current update held back the touptek driver (which I use), indi-dbg, kstars-bleeding, kstars-bleeding-dbg and libindi1. This is only annoying if I am in need of a particular part of an updated build. Otherwise it seems to eventually get sorted out (probably not until the next build, though).

I stopped using the usb wifi adapter. The internal wifi is fine, both at home and in the field. In the field, in fact, the two wifi connections fight with each other (or maybe they're trying to connect to each other?), so I was always removing the usb adapter whenever the home wifi was not available. The internal wifi is plenty capable enough.

And this one might just be me, but its been a weird pain. My Win 10 laptop can always connect to and transfer files to/from the mini-pc, but my desktop only occasionally shows the mini-pc in a File Manager window. I was resorting to work-arounds - mostly using the laptop to transfer files to my dropbox and then to the desktop (where I do all of my processing). But a few days ago, by accident, I noticed that the mini-pc and its files were visible and accessible from the desktop in a 'open file' window, even while they're not visible in File Manager. I installed a 3rd-party file manager (Altap Salamander) and now I can transfer files directly from the mini-pc to the desktop. No idea how explain it, but I don't care about the 'why' very much anyway.
Last edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Ron DeBry.
11 months 2 weeks ago #91826

Time to create page: 0.887 seconds