INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Communication between two INDI servers?

• Thank you received: 7
I think I am having issues of two INDI servers (not) talking to each other:

My Avalon M-Uno mount is controlled by the new StarGO2 Pro controller, which is based on a Raspberry Pi 4 and runs its own local INDI server (starts automatically upon booting). It has its own StarGO2 telescope (mount) driver which is detected, recognized and usable by external computers and EKOS, PHD, the new SkySafari7 Pro, etc…. But I guess these are all INDI clients and not INDI servers.

Now I like to use my ASIAIR Pro, which seems to have its own INDI server. The ASIAIR does not allow me, or does not seem to have the option, to choose and use the INDI driver on the remote INDI server. So I can only use the available INDI drivers on the ASIAR… They seem to be very limited in functionality or not connecting at all. ZWO is not really responding to my request to fix this.

Actually, I have a similar issue when using INDIGO from my MacBook. In order to use INDIGO properly, I would need to have an INDIGO server on the StarGO2 RPi4. Not an option yet.

With ZWO not replying and no INDIGO server, is there a way to copy/install the StarGO2 INDI driver on the RP of the ASIAIR? Or are there other possible workarounds?

It also seems to me, the two INDI servers are conflicting each other.

Any help is highly appreciated.

BTW, remote login (VNC or Anydesk) to the StarGO2 is not my favorite solution.

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Willi.
2 years 3 months ago #78319

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 104
How to chain two INDI server is described here: www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/159-in...ultiple-devices.html
Not sure how this can work with the server you are using.
2 years 3 months ago #78327

Thank you for your quick reply. From what I understood in the link of chained INDI servers, that scenario does not apply to me.
  1. The ASIAIR Pro INDI server needs to use the mount driver that is installed and runs on the other INDI server, the StarGO2 Pro.
  2. I do not have access to the INDI server on the ASIAIR Pro.
  3. The ASIAIR is connected to my iPad Pro. On the iPad I am running the ASIAIR app. I actually do not know if this app is a client or server. I assume it is the client. For obvious reasons, I do not have access to this software or OS. In any case, the ASIAIR app does not show the other drivers of the other INDI server. This would be the best solution. This is what is available now on the new SkySafari 7 Pro.
In the described and linked scenario of the chained INDI servers, there are two independent servers, which are connected to a third device which runs the client. The servers do not need to communicate with each other in that set-up, unlike to my configuration.

2 years 3 months ago #78328

In the example the two server communicate, this is the part "RoboFocus"@astropi of the start command of the second server, it indicate the server need to communicate with the other server on astropi when a client need to reach the focuser.

It can work if you can change the Asiair indiserver start command to add : "star2go"@star2goserver

If you cannot change the Asiair server options, this is a question only ZWO can respond.
2 years 3 months ago #78330

Oh…. Thank you! I missed that!

This seems to be straight forward and an easy fix!

I have been in touch with both ZWO and Avalon, but neither one has proposed this solution or such an update. Well, Avalon is on it, but does not seem to find a full solution. They refer to the LX200 Basic driver on the ASIAIR, which does not allow guiding or interactive slewing. ZWO said they would look into it… but I have not heard from them since several weeks. No idea what is the status here. That’s why I started this thread.

2 years 3 months ago #78331

It seems that you are very familiar with the StarGO2 set-up ;-)

Where would I find the INDI startup command on the ASIAIR? I mean, where would that typically be, in which directory?

Once this command would be implemented on the ASIAIR, would the stargo2 show up in the drop-down list in the ASIAIR APP telescope list?
2 years 3 months ago #78332

No, I never use an Avalon mount. My response is based on the description you make on the first post.

Asiair is a proprietary software we have no idea how it work in detail, it just look like it use INDI to access the mount and other equipment.

You can use StellarMate instead if you want an open system with better support :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willi
2 years 3 months ago #78333

While the StarGo2 has its own INDI server on a Raspberry Pi 4 with KStars/EKOS etc…. the interface via VNC is not that convenient on the iPad. This should basically be the same as a StellarMate.

Well, I am looking into the StellarMate/Astroberry set-ups. The StellarMate app, however, has a lot of negative reviews in the AppStore. Never sure what is true and what are user errors. Maybe I will give it a try anyway. If the StarGO2 would be more convenient over VNC, that would be the easiest approach. The ASIAIR is absolutely great and easy to use, but limited to ZWO hardware and support is spotty. I am sure StellarMate is more responsive ;-).

Coming back to your previous post:  I could imagine, that ZWO would use a very similar directory structure as the the standard INDI installation… therefore, let me rephrase, where would I need to change this setting/add that line in the standard INDI installation?

2 years 3 months ago #78336

I just ordered a Raspberry Pi4 and will try Stellarmate…. Let’s see.  What triggered this purchase was the new polar alignment assistant in EKOS, which seems to be supported in the iPad SM-app as well. I just saw a YouTube video on it. This is what I was looking for :-)
2 years 3 months ago #78338

Time to create page: 0.802 seconds