INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Microtouch/Feathertouch Focus Controller Driver?

• Thank you received: 1
Hello all,

Is anyone developing a driver for the Microtouch controller for Feathertouch focusers?

My sincere thanks!

Scott
8 years 1 month ago #7251

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What's the command set?
8 years 1 month ago #7253

Hi KNRO,

I am not sure. I have not been able to find any documentation online. Craig Stark made an interface for it, so it must be out there someplace - I will ping him with an email and see if he is willing to share what he found. I also note that some discussions of FocusLynx suggest that it can control Microtouch motors, so I wonder if there is similarity between the two.

In terms of function, it has a 30k tick wrapping stepper, and a temperature sensor.

Sincerely,

Scott
8 years 1 month ago #7260

Did you take a look at the INDI FocysLynx documentation?It looks like you can try it with FocusLynx.
8 years 1 month ago #7265

Finally had time to go work on this. The FocusLynx driver gives a green light on INDI Server. When I go to connect in INDI Control, it doesn't find the right port, but I can successfully set the device for MicroTouch. By guessing at the /dev/cu* ports, I was able to identify what I think is the right port. For a second or two, it looks like it will connect, but then it fails, with the message: "FocusLynx F1: Error retrieving data from FocusLynx, please ensure FocusLynx controller is powered and the port is correct." After this, my Craig Stark provided focus control software won't communicate anymore, so this seems like a good sign that INDI has the right port. So I suspect the FocusLynx driver at this point. Does anyone have any further ideas on how to overcome this issue?

My sincere thanks,

S-
8 years 3 weeks ago #7380

You need to to turn logging on to see where the problem is. Do you have the FocusLynx controller to begin with?
8 years 3 weeks ago #7385

• Thank you received: 21
As far as I know if you don't have the "Focus BOSS II" hub from Starlight Instruments or the "FocusLynx" hub from Optecinc to interface the Microtouch, instead the original hub, the FocusLynx driver woudn't probably not works as I it looks liike the proctol is not the same.
Anyway I'm going to ask my contact by Starlight Instrument to have look if we could get the command set use for this. In the mean time please proceed like Jasem wrote and activate loggin to check the communication messages between the driver and the hub.

Philippe.
Philippe Besson
Skywatcher HEQ5, Televue 101-IS, Takahashi FS-60CB
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Guiding camera ZWO ASI120MM
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
8 years 3 weeks ago #7389

OK - thanks Jasem and Phillipe! I will turn on the debug log and get it posted here as soon as possible.

Thanks guys!

S-
8 years 3 weeks ago #7390

Unfortunattely StarLight is not able to provide the requested informations. They will forward my request to the third party provider of the electronic part of Micro Touch. Wait and see.

Anyway another solution could be to spy the serial communication from a PC with Windows and the ASCOM driver to get the protocol (some sniffing serial software exist free or with limited functionnalities for that). If the protocol is aan ASCII one it woudn't be so dfficult to get major information we need, but in case of use of API.... May be thinks to buy a Focus BOSS II hub :( , but I guess this is not part of your budget asyou have already a running product.
Regards
Philippe.
Philippe Besson
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
8 years 3 weeks ago #7400

• Thank you received: 12
I will follow the topic, I have a feather touch (without motorization for now), I would like to see what solution I will adopt in the future (microtouch, focuser boss, focus lynx, home made...)
8 years 2 weeks ago #7488

Dear Bilbo.
First question for you is budget one. If you like you can do your-self a working focuser, with stepper motor arduino and motor driver board from adafruit ( www.adafruit.com/products/2448 ). Could be great if you have a 3D printer to create mecanical support. You could find different project on the net or in this forum to build an Indi's driver for it.
From the market, both product Focus BossII and FocusLynx are exactly the same one, and related documents and firmware update are on OptecInc .
In my point of view this is a quite good product, well done, and the HSM motor is really a good concept. I've got answer from Optec or Starlight Instruments (Electronic or mecanical questions) for any support. About the Indi driver, it works fine for one motor, and looks OK for two, but only in simulation for second one till now (I'll get a second motor soon, but still hesitated for the kind of solution as second focuser). It is valid for both product as this is the same firmware.

Anyway, a lot a solution exist and this is not so easy to choice which one is the best for our-self. Good luck.
Best regards
Philippe
Philippe Besson
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric Magnien
8 years 2 weeks ago #7492

• Thank you received: 2
I too have a starlight/starizona microtouch focusing system (wired)
that I am trying to control with INDI
and I too tried the FocusLynx driver wo success

Did someone progress on this topic ??

THx
Franco
8 years 1 week ago #7636

Time to create page: 0.988 seconds