INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mac/Cloudmakers Set up instructions?

• Thank you received: 2
Hello - very happy to be setting up astro-imaging on my Mac. I'm trying to get my Moonlite focuser and CGEM-DX connected through the INDI control panel (Cloudmakers) but can't get past the port issues. For the Moonlite, it says 'No such file' and for the Nexstar it says 'Error connecting...Make sure to have BOTH, etc..' I know this is mentioned in the FAQ, but when running the sudo script, Terminal tells me that 'command cannot be found'.

Is there a guide to getting things setup on a Mac? I'm not sure if I need to install the Moonlite driver, or if Cloudmakers did that for me. I'm not sure why the mount comes up as Celestron GPS instead of Celestron Nexstar, which is what the INDI Server says. The INDI server has 'green lights' for both Moonlite and Celestron Nexstar. I'm using the latest version of all Cloudmakers apps and OS X 10.11.3

I apologize for the very newbie question - I'm sure there are some simple answers, I just can't find them.
Thanks
Mike
7 years 11 months ago #7787

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
Hi Mike, on Mac all available INDI drivers are included in INDI Server for OSX application bundle, you don't need to install them.

You probably use wrong port to communicate with the devices or if you use some kind of USB-to-Serial devices, you don't have installed system level drivers. Can you describe you hardware setup?

Peter
7 years 11 months ago #7788

Peter - thank you. I think you helped me once before with a driver for my SX-814, which works great, by the way. Your program, for that camera, can do things that Neb4 can not. For some reason, Neb4 can not take exposures in the 1s or less range - it just comes out blank. This is annoying. But, Astroimager can take any length exposure no problem. Just FYI. This is a known issue with Neb4.

Anyway, I am not using anything in between the Moonlite controller and the computer, just a USB cord. When I try to connect using INDI Control Panel, the port selected is the default, /dev/ttyUSB0. The error message when trying to connect is: "Moonlite: failed to connect to port /dev/ttyUSB0. Error: Port failure:No such file or directory. Check if device is connected to this port."

I have been using Macs since, literally, the first Macintosh 128k. I owned one at age 13. I'm currently on my 17th Mac. This is the first time I have ever had a port I/O issue. I thought it was only a PC thing. Please - let me know what to do. I guess I first need to determine the port that the Moonlite is coming in on?

Thanks for your help (again)
Mike
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Mike S.
7 years 11 months ago #7795

Hi Mike, /dev/ttyUSB0 is definitely wrong, it is just default name, you have to replace it by the real path. Try to open Terminal and to execute the following command with and without focuser connected:

ls -1 /dev/cu.*

The difference is probably the right device. Peter
7 years 11 months ago #7796

Hmmm...

When I run that command, I get:
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

the command line looks like:
Drmikes-Mac:~ me$ ls -1 /dev/cu.*

It does not matter if I plug in or unplug the focuser - nothing changes.
7 years 11 months ago #7810

It means, that device is not recognised by OS and you have to install some OS level driver. Try /Applications/Utilities/System Information to find out PID/VID or manufacturer of this device. Peter
7 years 11 months ago #7812

Peter

I'm sorry, I made a not-smart error. The Terminal code you supplied earlier did work to identify the Moonlite and, when coped and pasted into INDI Control panel, I was able to successfully connect and control the focuser. Most excellent!

Are you aware of any autofocus routines that interface with Astroimager? Or maybe this is coming soon?

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike
7 years 11 months ago #7814

Great, good to know that it does work in Mac port, probably nobody tested it before!
We don't have autofocus in AstroImager yet but it is mid-term plan, maybe this summer. Peter
7 years 11 months ago #7815

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds