INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars Question - Flags

• Thank you received: 40
Question on using Flags. I'm trying to get better framing for the Eastern Veil Nebula... the default puts the nebula half on/off the image frame.
You can right-click and add a flag, giving it a name and the choice to go-to that flag via the Tools / Flag window.

if you want to go-to and track that item just like any other object in the sky?
"Center on Map" or "Center on Telescope"

I've had odd results on either, moving the view to the object, but quickly looses it as the sky moves... or not moving at all to the target. I'm just not sure the procedure.

It also seems to hang on the Meridian Flip when using Flags. Normal objects seem to be targeted fine.
1 year 7 months ago #84897

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
Yes, flags are my major way to (repeatably) store framing. It's a bit cumbersome to properly position the flags(*), but when they are defined I can nicely use 'Center in map' from the flags window to set the pointing target in the sky map, and 'Center in Telescope' will point the telescope/mount there. I never had issues with that. At least for me, 'Center in map' always activates tracking it.
How do you use flags for meridian flip? That one - AFAIK - only works via the current tracking target of the mount, no matter how that one was set...

(*) Trying to center the map in 'empty space', i.e., without an object, uses wrong coordinates. I always have to edit the pointing coordinates in the flags window and update to get a proper pointing...
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Tate
1 year 7 months ago #84899

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic KStars Question - Flags

Flags are very useful. But for repeatable framing, I suggest using a target frame in the scheduler.
The scheduler can also fetch the current coordinates you are centered on, which is handy when used with an FOV symbol.
1 year 7 months ago #84901

Replied by David Tate on topic KStars Question - Flags

Similar question on creating Flags.

Normally I double-click where I want the Flag, then right-click and select "Add Flag"
Is there a trick to this? It's never is quite right, always off a bit... just enough to be wrong.
1 year 7 months ago #84983

Yes, that's what I had mentioned in my post above. It is an longstanding error that I had reported at least once before. If there is no target with coordinates in the database, it takes the current Jnow coordinates as target, but uses this as J2000 input (like for database targets) and "converts" it to Jnow.
So the J2000 coordinates of where the center is after the double click are the Jnow coordinates of the location where you initially clicked....
1 year 7 months ago #84984

Ah, sorry, I missed that.
Yeah I was modifying coordinates in the the Flag window too, but without any real luck.
1 year 7 months ago #84987

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic KStars Question - Flags

Awesome. So if it's Jnow, all you need to do is copy them into the coordinate calculator to translate them back to J2000 and copy that back over.
1 year 7 months ago #84988

Puh. Just wanted to try that, but gave up. Didn't find an Epoch converter. Or do you use an external program for that?
1 year 7 months ago #84990

Ah, now I got it!
  1. Click/Double click target to center. Will go to wrong position
  2. Crtl-M to set coordinates manually. The current coordinates will be filled in
  3. Click 'Jnow' Button
  4. Click 'OK' and be happy :)

(Though it would be nicer to fix the bug. I had a look at the code, but that is way past my capabilities....)
1 year 7 months ago #84991

Never knew about the Ctril-M feature... nice!
I think I followed your directions, but when I did step 4, it jumps slightly away (On my target the, Eastern Veil), it jumps about just enough to be not useful, so not happy :(

So my attempt at a workaround is to click/Double-click just a bit high and to the left...right-click/add flag.
That seems to get it about right. No idea how the guys are doing it with mosaics.
1 year 7 months ago #84992

Strange. I've tried several locations over the sky, and it always worked here. I always ended up where I initially clicked. Only deviation is if there is a named target close by, then that is picked as (catalog) target, and the pointing is (almost) correct. So the above scheme only works if the focused object indicator in the upper right says 'nothing'...
1 year 7 months ago #84993

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Akarsh on topic KStars Question - Flags

Thanks for your workaround. I recently fixed up all the precession issues in the Ctrl + M manual set position. It doesn't do nutation correctly if I remember right, so there may still be some small amount of error which should be totally negligible for most amateur use-cases. If you find any precession issues here, please let me know.

I'm not sure where you reported the Flag bug, could you point me to it please? I'll put it on the ever-expanding list of issues on the repo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
1 year 7 months ago #84995

Time to create page: 0.965 seconds