INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars Question - Flags

• Thank you received: 133
I had mentioned it here in some context threads, but I just checked, and I had created an official one in the KDE bugtracker

Would be great if you can fix that!
1 year 7 months ago #84996

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic KStars Question - Flags

Thanks everyone on this thread.
Last night I was able to employ the Flag dialog screen successfully. Even though I had to kinda fudge the initial target setup, once setup, it was easy to go to.
1 year 7 months ago #85018

Ok, back to this and now I want to get really precise and not fudge it slightly like I've been doing with flags.

I finally figured out we had a Mosaic feature... yeah, I know, where have I been?
But I noticed when using the mosaic panel, it gives you the coordinates of the panels built... nice! Now how to get these coordinates to actually work. I plan on doing the left side one night and the other. I'm also trying to work the Scheduler, but I still don't have this thing down.

Entering these coordinates still doesn't give you the real location... I understand the thought is it's a JNow vs J2000 issue.
using the CTRL-M still is not very exact, I've tried both and the location jumps a good deal.

Is there anyway to enter these values shown in the image as a reliable Flag location?
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by David Tate.
1 year 6 months ago #86292
Attachments:

Ok, I think I see the issue... while saving the coordinates into the Flag Window, they are not saved correctly.
After hitting Save Changes (or Add, the both do the same)... the values are not being saved correctly.
Same error for both JNow and J2000 values
1 year 6 months ago #86301
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 28
There may be a bug here that needs extermination! I don't have experience with flags but I've used a method in EKOS to center a frame the way I want and it works repeatably over multiple nights - I pass this along only as a work around until the flags thing sorts out.

Using KStars or another planetarium package (I find Starry Night to be useful as well) I find a star at, or near, where I want the center of my frame. This works particularly well in areas like the Veil Nebula since there are stars everywhere. I simply use that star as my target and EKOS has framed things up the way I wanted. It survives meridian flips as well. I haven't tried it with a mosaic.

FWIW
1 year 6 months ago #86302

After doing some searching around this is a known reported bug. Ok, at least I've not completely bonkers.
1 year 6 months ago #86303

Time to create page: 0.714 seconds