INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Artificial Horizon gone bonkers

• Thank you received: 133
After some Astro-Outage due to too much work load, I compiled the latest version of kstars today to get myself up to date.
The very first thing I noticed is that the display of the artificial horizon is now completely messed up:

At least in equatorial mode. In Horizon mode it does work - but I never use that. Here for comparison how it should look:

I tried deleting some points so it's just a 'line' (it had to be a closed area in earlier days). Also tested the 'ceiling mode toggle' but that made it even worse. What happened?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
1 year 6 months ago #86540
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
Pit,

Thanks for reporting this. I looked into it and tracked down the issue to the following.
I have submitted an MR which will hopefully be merged soon.

I believe you compile from code, can you make the following change and test?
(I'd have you just use the latest code but I don't necessarily recommend you using that right now.)

In the file kstars/kstars/skycomponents/artificialhorizoncomponent.cpp
find the function called appendGreatCirclePoints (starts on line 268)
and comment out these 4 lines which are not far from the top of the function (lines 274-277)
invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/m...oncomponent.cpp#L274
    // std::shared_ptr<SkyPoint> sp0(new SkyPoint());
    // sp0->setAz(az1);
    // sp0->setAlt(alt1);
    // region->append(sp0);

It is not perfect--it makes little jagged lines near the horizon (which is what those 4 lines fix in horizon mode and were supposed to fix in equatorial mode too), but that is far better than the current rendering mess. I need some consulting to get it totally right, if you have any clue how to fix, let me know!

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
1 year 6 months ago #86600

• Thank you received: 133
Thanks Hy!
I did just pull the latest git, which has that change in indeed. And rendering is normal again now :)
I even tried to understand what is going on in that routine, but eventually gave up. Too little knowledge of C++ and the internal kstars layout. So I better restrict my contributions to finding errors, and let the masters fix them :lol:
But as I always create RPM packages when compiling I can easily switch them if they 'misbehave' :D
1 year 6 months ago #86606

• Thank you received: 72
I had the same problem: www.indilib.org/forum/general/12212-horizon-art.html#85883

I hope Hy can find the problem. Meanwhile I was working with a self compiled version of KStars.
1 year 6 months ago #86652

• Thank you received: 559
Toni,
It is fixed in the latest code.
If you want to fix things in your self-compiled code, just comment out those 4 lines as described above.
Hy
1 year 6 months ago #86653

Time to create page: 0.929 seconds