INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EAA Stellarmate, Pi, cell phone and Ioptron Cube II mount.

• Thank you received: 1
Has anyone got EAA working with stellarmate, raspberry Pi and the Ioptron cube II mount?

I first tried to get the mount to connect via WiFi, but it would not connect. Went to the serial direct connect from Pi to mount, that does connect.

I can get the Stellarmate app on my android phone to park and move the mount (i might have some intermittent dropout problems.), but the stellarmate app's search ie "Goto and Solve" does not move the mount. Is there a setting or something I am missing? Is the Cube II mount compatible to do EAA? Have I bit off more than I can chew? Or do I need to buy the skywatcher AZ_GTI mount?

I am not married to Serial connection, but would like to get both communications methods working.

Newest software on both a 3 and 4 PI and android Samsung galaxy 21.

My final EAA configuration, I hope to have a Model 4 PI, Ioptron Cube II mount, and a Orion Short tube 80MM Scope.
11 months 4 weeks ago #92123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You need to check if the image you captured is getting properly plate-solved. Did you check Ekos Align tab and tried to solve from there? If the plate-solving works, then "Goto and Solve" would work.

However, IF the mount does not move at all then you have another issue altogether. First check if the mount firmware is up to date. If you are connecting directly to the handset, then you'd need to first perform 2-3 star alignment using the handset *before* you can issue any GOTO commands.
11 months 4 weeks ago #92127

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I have the newest sw on Cube.
Yes, I have the Cube II handset serial connected to the PI. Would like to be able to use WiFi via StarFi, but so far have not got that working.
Stellarmate App will move mount, and park the mount. But does nothing on a "Goto and Solve".

The Skywatcher AZ-GTI mount instructions "Youtube" does not require prior alignment.

On the Cube. Starting from the "Parked" position ie zerp position, with mount in home position, GPS linked. The mount has the "skew to target" ability. I should be able to "Goto and Solve" in the Stellarmate app on Cell phone. Am I missing something, or is the it a mount issue.

Bob
11 months 4 weeks ago #92143

Can you issue a GOTO from the App? not just move (left/write/up/down) commands but a GOTO? Use Mount Quick Controls and then select an object (star or planet..etc) to go to from that menu and then issue a GOTO to see if that works properly first.
11 months 4 weeks ago #92148

The only goto that works.
1. Set zero position on mount.
2. Use (left/right/up/down to move scope to different position.
3. Hit "Park" command and the mount returns to Zero Position.

Not sure that I follow the second tip. I will see if I can follow and will let you know.

Bob
11 months 4 weeks ago #92150

You need to click #3 in the picture below and issue a GOTO for an object above the horizon. Does the mount go there?

11 months 4 weeks ago #92151
Attachments:

I got it to work once, second time it errored. I was not able to get to work on any of the next 5 times.

I will try just using the Pi and VNC from PC, but I will be dealing with a family medical issue the next few days.

To be continued then.
Again thanks for your help.

I hope someone who has been more successful than I, can provide more info.

Bob
11 months 4 weeks ago #92163

Was able to play inside while family was recovering from surgery. I think I have one problem fixed (maybe*) I change the mount type from EQ 45 to EQ 45 pro. I am using the Ioptron cube ii pro.
Have not been able to get outside to focus the camera and we have had clouded skies on every night I was free.

I have a question on the accuracy setting in stellarmate. What does that do and what parameters effect the setting?

* Cloudy skies and taking care of family member only allows short tests and no definably real life results.

Bob
11 months 2 weeks ago #92460

I seem to have everything working and talking., except the solving issue.

Last night the Scope would go to a very rough find on selected object, maybe 5 degree or more off from object, takes a picture and then fails to solve.

I have been looking for complete instructions for setting up the Stellarmate app on tablet or phone, can't find any addressing the newest app version. Did find one that addressed the area of alignment, was set at default of small area, changed to large, will test on next clear night.

Any other settings that I could test the next clear night?

Bob
11 months 6 days ago #92730

Skies have been horrible to say the least, with the smoke from Canada and clouds and rain my urban skies even when reported clear skies have been murky.

I do not know if the ZWO ASI120MC is adequate for my EAA setup. From the mount quick button, I go to an object (Venus easy target), center manually and sync. I get pictures, focus the best I can, try to do a GOTO and Solve from the target screen, mount skews and alignment fails. Should I be using .default, small area or large area solves?.

I am trying to use Amazon Fire 10 7th generation tablet, it works, but I seen to get large lag times. I would like to use my Windows Surface Pro 7+, but I have not found the Stellarmate gadget for windows, just the stellarmate OS. Am I missing something?

After starting EKOS, and selecting any of the icons at the top(focus, align, camera etc.). I can never get a clean screen after that, IE the focus screen stays until i select either the target selection or another top icon, leaving any selection (Target, View, Settings) back to EKOS the screen returns to the last top selected (focus, align, camera, etc.) screen. I would like to be able to clear the screen, to see the pictures the camera is taking full screen. Is the a way to clear the screen?

I have tried to focus using the focus tab, note: "no auto focuser" so manual focusing. Selecting the continuous exposure, and nothing happens. I have to keep using the camera button and the selection window does not stay on the focus star. Is that Normal?

Selection the continuous exposure on the quick camera select buttons, top right screen. Starts continuous exposures, but will not stop with stop button. I have to go to setup and stop EKOS.to gain back control. Am I doing something wrong?

I enjoy playing with new setups, but the most frustrating thing now is the VERY, VERY poor skies. Will try a Canon DSLR, for the camera, next time I can get out It is getting to be bug season, I have to add covering exposed skin, and bug spray.

Current EAA setup
Ioptron Cube II pro mount directly connected to
Raspberry Pi 4 with Stellarmate
ZWO ASI120MC camera ( will try a Canon 1100d)
witi to a amazon fire 10 gen 7 tablet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bob

both powered from a 250W power bank.
11 months 2 days ago #92822

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your feedback.

1. ASI120MC (USB 3 variant) is good enough for EAA. EAA is very limited due to both processing + storage of the RPI4. You will have much better luck with StellarMate X or your own mini PC.
2. SM App is only available for Android and iOS so not on Windows store (you can use KStars from there to control StellarMate, but that's totally different from the mobile App).
3. Once you tap the active icon, it goes off and you're back to the clean screen. This is how it always worked.
4. Not clear on the focus issue, focus images are not displayed in the focus module after tapping looping? and you cannot stop it?
11 months 2 days ago #92829

Thanks for your help. learning what is not in the manual and how to move around in the Android App.
Using a Fire tablet Gen 7 (maybe to old, slow or not design for app), I cannot stop the looping in the camera quick tab. But using my newer phones, I can stop the looping of exposures.
I do not find logging available in the Android app, does that require using a computer simultaneously connected to Stellarmate to do the logging, while using app?

I am still having problems with the align, and "goto and solves". Hope to try to produce logs, next clear opportunity.

Thanks in advance
10 months 3 weeks ago #92931

Time to create page: 1.848 seconds