INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars keyboard mapping bug with VNC

• Thank you received: 226
While connecting to the system, a Raspberry Pi 3 with lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.1.19-v7+ armv7l) via tightvncserver and VNC Viewer, keystrokes are completely scrambled within Kstars, EKos, INDI. Nowhere else on the system have I encountered this issue. I can only enter information via copy, paste from outside the application.
7 years 4 months ago #13036

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yes I've heard this before but I have no idea. Did you try any other KDE application like Kate for example? Is it ONLY KStars or all KDE applications?
7 years 4 months ago #13044

• Thank you received: 375
This well known bug of tightvnc. I recommend using tigervnc instead. AFAIK it is not available in repository for apt-get installation so either you have to compile it or grab a this version and unpack all the files to your system. It works without any problem whatsoever.
7 years 4 months ago #13049

• Thank you received: 87
Yep got that too, like Kaczorek, used TigerVNC to solve that.
7 years 4 months ago #13050

I wouldn't know about Kate without installing it. I'll give TigerVNC a go. Although I can say the non-bleeding version I could install on Raspbian did not have this bug, just other bugs.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Andrew.
7 years 4 months ago #13053

• Thank you received: 0
Hi, can you please give me a hint how to unpack and install I am a linux newbe
7 years 4 months ago #13069

The easiest way is to do it with mc.
Make sure you uninstall tightvnc before doing all of these by running
sudo apt-get remove tightvncserver
1. First install mc by opening terminal and run
sudo apt-get install mc
2. When you're done start mc by running in the terminal
sudo mc
Note that you have to run it with sudo because in the next step you need root privileges to copy files to their destination.

3. Navigate to a directory where you downloaded your package to
4. Open the package by selecting it and pressing Enter on it - you should see /usr directory and three other files
5. Select /usr directory from the package and go to / (i.e. root directory) in the other mc panel - you can switch between right and left panels with TAB key
6. Come back to the panel where you have your package opened and press F5 on the selected /usr directory - this will copy all the files from the package to their destinations
7. Enjoy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
7 years 4 months ago #13071

I decided to go with X11vnc. It gives a true desktop environment that's common to any device connected to it and works very well over low-latency connections.
Took a couple days, but I worked out how to get it to start on login, which happens by default on boot and how to set a custom resolution and set the HDMI Hotplug to ON in the system's configure file.
So now I just flip the power on, wait a minute and fire up a VNC client once it has established the wifi accesspoint. No need to SSH login first.
7 years 4 months ago #13145

You can also autostart other vnc servers without need to login over SSH first. In case of tightvncserver just add this line to your /etc/rc.local before 'exit 0'
su - username -c "vncserver -geometry 1920x1080 -depth 24 :1"
Your vnc server for the user username will be available on port 5901 with desktop resolution 1920x1080 and 24 bit color depth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 4 months ago #13148

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds