INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dome control driver

• Thank you received: 0

Dome control driver was created by Helge

I have built my own observatory/dome from scratch. In my Windows setup I use the driver from this site. www.dppobservatory.net/DomeAutomation/DomeDriver.php/tags.cfm
Does a similar driver exist that can be used with Ekos/Indi and Raspberry PI?
(Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but that is exactly how I feel with this right now.)

Helge.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Helge.
7 years 2 months ago #13405
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25
Not so far. The only dome drivers available are:
www.indilib.org/devices/domes.html
7 years 2 months ago #13412

Replied by Helge on topic Dome control driver

OK. So the next obvious question would then be: Are the any plans for developing such a driver? :dry:
Without it, it seems like my remote control project came to an abrupt halt before it even got started. :(
(Maybe this topic should be moved to "Wish list"?
7 years 2 months ago #13424

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Dome control driver

Ask the manufacturer to provide SDK & Documentation to communicate with the dome and I'll see what can be done.
7 years 2 months ago #13454

As this is a home made observatory from scratch, the manufacturer is me. ;) However, there is a mfr for the control board, Velleman. The board is a VM110N and all available info can be found in the link below. There is also a download page with various stuff. I have no idea what would be needed to develop an Indi driver.
www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?count...s&lang=enu&id=522053
I include the schematic used (So far I only have manually operated shutters so that part + scope power is not in use by me yet).

Thanks for your positive attitude.
Helge.
7 years 2 months ago #13465
Attachments:

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Dome control driver

In that case, you need to develop the INDI driver for it. There are multiple dome drivers that you can start from as a template. For the USB board, you need to communicate with it over libusb most likely.
7 years 2 months ago #13479

Pity. It's not likely that this will happen anytime soon. I would not even know where to start and especially not with Linux.
7 years 2 months ago #13490

On second thoughts, why does it matter who constructed the physical dome? I know there are dosens of people out there that is using this control board with their home built observatories. But they are all using the VB.net driver from Lesvedome. As least I don't know of any other.
There is an SDK on the Velleman page, but how to use it and if it contains what's needed to make an Indi driver, I don't know.
7 years 2 months ago #13491

To Have an INDI driver for the Velleman dome controller would be very nice, but programing and testing it could cost from tens to a hundred of hours.

So the problem is to find someone who has access to this hardware, has the skills to program it and have the time to do it. I miss two of the conditions (hardware and time) but I can try to assist anyone who wants to do it.
7 years 2 months ago #13495

I would probably have the time and I do have the Velleman board, but I certainly don't have the skills. I have done some VB6 programming, but it's many years ago. And I don't know it that would be helpful at all. Also, if hundreds of hours would be required, I'm not sure if I want to invest that time given that I already have a working windows driver.
Is there somewhere I could read some basic steps in developing an Indi driver? Some sort of basic "How to"?
7 years 2 months ago #13497

• Thank you received: 174

Replied by Peter Polakovic on topic Dome control driver

Look at Dome Scripting Gateway, it may be much easier for you than to code real driver. peter

github.com/indilib/indi/blob/master/libi...dome/dome_script.txt
7 years 2 months ago #13501

INDI is programmed in C++. You have a basic tutorial for writing a simple INDI driver in www.indilib.org/develop/tutorials/94-sim...device-tutorial.html

However, the most "challenging" part of the driver is to communicate with the Velleman card whit the appropriate commands to control the dome.

Velleman SDK is for Windows only.

I've found a link to a software to access to Velleman K8055 card from linux (libk8055.sourceforge.net/) Boy, this is not for the weaks of heart.

Just installing is challenging, and it's not for your VM110 card.

Better stay with ASCOM.

But, wait a minute. Maybe there is a possibility to use INDI.

There exist a INDI server for Windows than bridges ASCOM drivers to INDI
www.cloudmakers.eu/windi/

In this case you can use the ASCOM driver from a Windows machine and the rest of devices from a Linux Machine.

You will need 2 computers, one with Windows and one with Linux or 1 computer with enough resources to run a Virtual Machine (see www.virtualbox.org/)
This way you can benefit for INDI and Linux (KStars and EKOS)

Hope this is a good solution for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 2 months ago #13506

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds