INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Joystick support in the next INDI release!

I'm glad to announce that the next INDI release v0.9.7 will have support for joysticks and game pads under Linux! If you can't wait until then, just grab the code from subverion and compile it yourself. For now, all LX200 and EQMod drivers supported. I didn't put a lot of functionality into the telescope drivers joystick control section yet, just the basic N/S/E/W motion and selection of slew speeds.

This is particular useful for EQMOd where it was a pain to try to center any star using the INDI control panel, while at the same time, trying to look in the eye piece! Of course, now with Ekos Alignment module & astrometry.net solver I don't have to do that anymore, but this functionality is indeed essentials for all of those tired of jumping back and forth between the scope and the laptop.

Here is a quick video for controlling LX200 GPS:

The following user(s) said Thank You: djibb
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
10 years 4 months ago #294

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
I have a question about joystick support. I just got the Raspberry PI distro running (and it works great!), and I noticed an example that starts the server on the Pi with the indi_joystick module loaded. I'm planning to use kstars at this point (not ready to delve into Ekos yet) and I'm wondering if it's possible to configure the joystick module on my (local) laptop while connecting to the Pi (remote server) for everything else (EqMod, focuser, and DSLR operations)?
8 years 10 months ago #4178

It is possible through INDI server chaining. i.e. start a local INDI server with indi_joystick along with the remote drivers. Then you connect to the local INDI server and you shall all your devices, including the local joystick driver... but I'm not sure if snooping runs across chained servers, have to test this out at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug
8 years 10 months ago #4185

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds