INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI on MacOS X and Homebrew

• Thank you received: 0
Dear all,

I'm new here, just installed libindi and kstars on OSX El Capitan to get full control with my EQ-6 Pro mount, cameras, etc...
I could install the necessary packages, everything went fine (although I had to change some files in kstars to get it work). Kstars starts, INDI Server starts from command line with the selected drivers. If I start KStars, it asks for the INDI library, but after the correct fill out it still can't find it. I wanted to try out EKOS, but it says the following message (attached image).
I'm a "command line-type" of a guy, but I tried to install the GUI version of XINDI and changed the path in KStars. Still not working. Do you have suggestions?

Best wishes,
Tamas
8 years 5 months ago #5357
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
Hi Tamas,

I looked on homebrew kde/kstars package and there is no dependency on INDI, so I don't believe that it is linked against it. Did you use this package or did you built it yourself from source?

To be honest I don't think it is worth to do it this way. You can easily use native linux application on virtualized linux or even easier to use native OSX application on OSX. Or you can spend the rest of your life by trying to port linux applications to OSX with frustrating results :-)

Peter
8 years 5 months ago #5360

Dear Peter,

I installed the necessary kde packages via homebrew, the kstars was built from source. Honestly the reason why I installed it was EKOS, I wanted to try out its functions.
Now, I really out of any ideas.
Your advice is right, I should try INDI out with other softwares, for example XEphem or Carte du Ciel... Unfortunately, there are not so much astronomical sofwares for OSX...

Best regards,
Tamas
8 years 5 months ago #5361

Hi Tamas, if you want to use Ekos I really recommend to use it under virtualized Linux, there is more dependencies you cannot easily fix on OSX (e.g. astrometry). Or if you don't insist on opensource, there are other xindi applications, not just INDI Server :-) Peter
8 years 5 months ago #5362

Dear Peter,

I think I will try it out. This state is only for experimentation, I would like to make a clean install in the future on a notebook which will be only for telescope control.
Astrometry is really important for me, I'm using the astrometry.net solver for years on osx without problems. ;) I would like to see what EKOS can do. ;)

Thank you for your help!

Tamas
8 years 5 months ago #5363

Hi, INDI Server for OSX is now upgraded to INDI 1.1.0 rel 2543...

- Atik Infinity support added to Atik driver
- QHY driver removed (not compatible with OS X and IMHO never worked anyway)

Homebrew version is temporarily not available due to permission issues on OS X 10.10 El Capitan.

Peter
8 years 4 months ago #5923

Replied by Gerrit on topic INDI on MacOS X and Homebrew

Hi Peter,

I tested the new indi driver on mac os x and kubuntu 15-10. ubuntu 15-10 on a vm-image and a physical instance.

I used my Atik Art 11000 for testing.

On ubuntu connecting the camera one time fails, other time it works.
But any way: Training the make a picture lasts very long and deliveres no results (must be stopped manually)
The same is true on Mac os x. Using the AstroImager-App and connecting to the indiserver.app capturing an image hangs.
Capturing an image directly with the astroimager works.

So, I ask me, what is going wrong. Can you help here?
Regards,
Gerrit
8 years 4 months ago #5985

Hi Gerrit,
can you try to run atik_ccd_test (from linux package) and send the output to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.?
Thank you, Peter
8 years 4 months ago #5990

Replied by Gerrit on topic INDI on MacOS X and Homebrew

Hi Peter,

you have a mail. But sometimes it works. Now I did another test: Running indiservr on a physical machine, using the camera from egos in virtual box gest..it works
Regargs,
Gerrit
8 years 4 months ago #5991

Thank you Gerrit, I'll fix it and let you know. Peter
8 years 4 months ago #5995

Hi, ATIK 11000 issue is hopefully fixed in ATIK INDI drivers 0.41 and INDI Server for OS X 2.1.2. Peter
8 years 4 months ago #6001

• Thank you received: 46

I've never used homebrew before, but this was intriguing, so I tried it on the iMac. I had a few tribulations along the way, thought I'd document them for anybody else heading down this road. The above link does give instructions for installing homebrew, but for the first time user, a couple of steps are left out. I eventually got it all figured out, then, decided it's time to clean all the cruft off of my Mac, so I started by doing a fresh osx install, 10.10.5.

After that, I followed the directions for installing astrometry.net located here

The key bit I missed on my first attempt, which caused all sorts of build problems, and diagnosed eventually with 'brew doctor', was installing xcode command line utilities. I assumed a full install included those, but it didn't. xcode-select --install fixed that. Then jump thru the hoops listed for pip on the above linked page. Once that's done, tap homebrew-science and install astrometry.net. After the install, edit /usr/local/etc/astrometry.cfg to point at wherever you put your index files.

When that's all done, follow the tap / install instructions above for indi quoted above, and voila, it all 'just works' now.

The whole point of the exercise, my winter project is a bunch of semi-customized clients for use with the observatory once it's built, and I want them to be able to run on my linux boxes, and my wife's mac. Think I'm well on the way now, and as mentioned above, I am already liking homebrew a lot better than macports. time will tell if it stays that way. The next step in the process, is building and linking my own client to all of this. The plan right now is to use wx as the underlying gui library so I can build the same sources on mac and linux, time will tell how well that works.
8 years 4 months ago #6046

Time to create page: 1.360 seconds