INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Server

• Thank you received: 24

Replied by Stephen on topic Re:Astroberry Server

In case it can help, another option can be to create a VPN to you home lan and the indi server.

I use openvpn (openvpn.net) to set up a secure connection to my home lan. in most case everything is accessed as if at home. You may still need to know you lan IP for the indi server; I have not tried to see if the hostname astroberry.local is visible; some things will need to be repeated to the vpn. IP access though should work, as the typically setup includes repeating this between LAN and VPN.

The vpn would then address security concerns, and once connected can mean that you are connected as if home. OpenVPN also has mac, and iOS, clients. Using the iPhone app over VPN to check Ekos by browser or VNC does work very well.

So the cool factor can be there too :) Using iPhone to check imaging session while having coffee with friends because your RPI3 tweeted some update... Please note, I have confirmed the tweeting works, I am just not good enough to use it fully as I am still learning automatic framing and guiding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
6 years 7 months ago #18599
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 29

Replied by Helge on topic Re:Astroberry Server

Hm...I entered the public IP address (e.g. 12.123.456.78) in the field "Host", in the field "Port" I entered '7624'.

In the router configurator, I opened the port 7624 for the astroberry. Also I created an allowance for that port in my internet security-software. But I keep on receiving an error message, when starting indi, after a while. I also tried from my neighbours' wlan, to connect the astroberry.

Not sure what else could I do?

@ Maudy, many thanks also for your suggestion. I had a look at openvpn - and will try to find my way through. Is it just to be installed on my windows laptop, or do I have to install anything on the astroberry?
6 years 7 months ago #18611
  • Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Re:Astroberry Server

You need to do some reading about port forwarding for your specific router. It is not related to Astroberry Server.
6 years 7 months ago #18616
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Linda Anderson on topic Re:Astroberry Server

Thanks for your suggestion. Open VPN seems very popular.
6 years 7 months ago #18619
  • Thank you received: 24

Replied by Stephen on topic Re:Astroberry Server

openVPN can work quite well. Going this route does require thinking through what you want to achieve, and where you put your openVPN entrance (if it can be on your home router it can be easier.) This page worked for me: openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/docume...n/howto.html#install

Implement the most basic connections first, and then add in the security as you need. It can really be as complex and you wants. If using iOS you will need a TUN connection.

The iptables can be the most complicated; this link helped me: allanmcrae.com/2013/09/routing-traffic-with-openvpn/

Sorry to intrude on the astroberry server thread. If there is interest please move this to different thread (or create new one).
6 years 7 months ago #18643

Dear Radek,

I was thinking about adding a button to reset or shutdown (depending on how many sec the button is pressed). Found a nice script (www.holzkischtle.de/resources/shutdownscript/), - unfortunately the description is in German, but the code seems "international".

Now, the idea would be to execute the script upon startup, so the author suggests to add a line to the rc.local file. However, adding a line (sudo python /usr/local/bin/shutdown.py) prior to exit 0, does not seem to work. If I just start up the script (sudo python shutdown.py), it works fine.

My question is, does such a program create any conflicts with the astroberry server? If yes, is there an alternative you could recommend?

Thanks in advance, Helge
6 years 6 months ago #19339

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Re:Astroberry Server

There's no conflict with anything on astroberry server. You can implement this solution as is.
Make sure that if using /etc/rc.local you start the script in the background by adding & at the end of line i.e. /usr/bin/python /usr/local/bin/shutdown.py &
Please note that you don't need to use sudo as rc.local is started as root user by default.
I will consider integrating it into side panel in the future so you can call this action from web interface.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
6 years 6 months ago #19341

Dear Radek,

Many thanks for your reply!

Eventually I got the script starting via rc.local: what was missing - making the file executable (chmod +x)...

Best, Helge
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
6 years 6 months ago #19422
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there,

First of all thanks again for your super application !
I love it.
I am currently trying to replace the dc motor of a nFocus by a 28byj-48 stepper (modified 4 wires see here:http://www.electronicsmayhem.com/?p=13) and drive it directly with a drv8835 from the raspi GPIO.
My question is : is the astroberry focuser driver already included in your astroberry server ?
6 years 5 months ago #20107

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Astroberry Server

I'm glad you like it. The driver is not included yet. I will release the update to Astroberry Server soon. Stay tuned
6 years 5 months ago #20117
  • Thank you received: 20

Replied by giorgio on topic Astroberry Server

Hi Kaczorek, are you planning to upgrade Astroberry Server to Indi v1.6? I tried to do a 'sudo astroberry-upgrade' but I got the message 'your system is up to date'.
6 years 2 months ago #22548

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Astroberry Server

You can upgrade INDI version by regular sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
6 years 2 months ago #22551
Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 2.702 seconds